main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Speedily in our days! :D

Briannakin, glad you had a nice time at the history dinner and that the end is in sight with the paper.

Anakin Solo Revanchist, what is "Sardines"? Does it involve squashing lots of people together in small spaces (that's my guess)?

So this morning the UO decided to get up at 6:45am! This is the child who for a very long time got up consistently at 8 every day. Of course he would choose to do so on day when both the Findshusband and I are down with nasty colds—and even though the FH is getting over his, I've just started mine, so guess which of us had to lug herself out of bed to get the little guy this morning...? I tried encouraging him to lie still and nap next to me on the playroom floor, but he just wouldn't stop fidgeting, squirming, and—as they apparently say in Pennsylvania Dutch territory—rutsching. So you can imagine what kind of day this is working out to be.

Oh, and last night I had another dream featuring TrakNar.

2. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman You and the FH should consider starting a vitamin regimen. I did in my late teens/early twenties and haven't had a cold or allergy problem that lasted for longer than a day in well over a decade. Consult your doctor first, of course, but the one that worked for me was a B-complex type, though it's been a long time since I stopped those. These days I take Vitamin D, which my doctor recommended.

Also, here's a nice home remedy: get a large, tall glass, fill it with orange juice and a shot of vodka (the purer, the better), stir in a tablespoon of honey and drink it all down. Then go to bed under heavy blankets. If it doesn't work the first night, try it again, and keep trying. At the very least, it'll shorten the duration of your cold once it's begun.

3. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Goodwood, see, the thing is, I already do take vitamins regularly, and have done so for numerous years now. I too used to not get sick for more than a day or two at a time, and only every several months or so. But it's a totally different ballgame once you have a little Typhoid Mario running around bringing new and wondrous microbial strains home from preschool. I'm just glad he hasn't yet come down with pinkeye, strep, croup, or any of the other horrible things his contemporaries often seem to pick up.

Though that home remedy definitely sounds good. Maybe I'll try it tonight, though I may have to use something other than vodka, because I don't have any.

4. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Findswoman Yeah, there's always that little hazard (yet one on a long list of child-related complications :D ).

As for that home remedy, I think vodka is the best choice because of how pure it is relative to such spirits as whiskey, brandy, cognac or, the mists help you, tequila. Gin might make a decent substitute; it's the "clear" nature of it and vodka that probably helps the most (also the flavor won't overpower the orange juice and honey. Overall I think the purpose of the liquor shot is to help induce drowsiness, allowing the vitamins and minerals in the OJ and honey to do their work, while the thick blankets help you to sweat out whatever agent is causing the cold.

5. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    "Sardines", at least where I come from, is a twist on the classic game of hide and seek. Instead of one person trying to find everybody else that's hidden, everybody else is trying to find the one person ("It") that is hidden. The game usually takes place in a medium to large building like a church (so that there's enough room for the group to spread out), often with the lights off. The trick (and where the name of the game comes from) is that when somebody finds "It", instead of announcing it to everyone else, he or she quietly joins "It" in the hiding spot. When the next person finds the two of them, that person also joins them, and so on until everybody is packed into the (usually rather small) hiding spot like a can of sardines. Once everyone has found the hiding spot or, in some cases, a certain amount of time has elapsed, the hiding spot is unpacked and a new round begins; when I played it, the first person to find the last "It" became the new "It".

I played it at a church youth group lock-in once about ten years ago. I didn't manage to become "It", but it was a lot of fun. One "It" actually opened an access door to a storage area/crawlspace underneath the stage in the main worship room and hid under there, completely out of sight. Oh, to be 17 again... :p

Gemma likes this.
  6. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think I've played something similar to that. It was more of a larger group version, but I think we still called it Sardines. We had 3 or 4 its and the first people to find the 'it' with the least amount of people were the new its, but once you found an it, you had to stay with them.

Hide and go seek is SOOO much fun in churches. It's been a while since my youth-group days, but once for some reason our plans one night fell through and we only had a couple people show up, so we played hide and go seek in the church with all the lights off. My friend and I ended up hiding behind a potted tree in the downstairs day care. NO ONE could find us, even though the 'its' got like within metres of us.

In another round, I hid in the closet under the stairs (it was HUGE but full of supplies) but there were a ton of other people also in the closet, so we all climbed our way to the very back, then 2 more people decided to hide in there, but they stayed at the front, so they didn't know we were in there. They were found so they started helping the it, and NO ONE thought to look it the closet again. So when they finally gave up, a bunch of us crawled out of this closet, but I guess there had been like 2 groups left hiding in there and neither group knew the other was in there. We still don't know exactly how all of us fit in there without noticing each other.

Gemma and jcgoble3 like this.
  7. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I don't see why adults can't still play hide-and-seek, and this Sardines version sounds like quite a lot of fun. But being adults, we'd have to of course pick a different kind of building...say, a college campus building (J Building of the Orchard Ridge campus of OCC is a good one; four floors, big footprint, lots of out-of-the-way offices as well as at least three cafeteria rooms...).

jcgoble3 likes this.
  8. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    And it was funny, because in Sardines, BOTH rounds I ended up right next to my crush. :p The second round she was it, and somehow I knew I'd be the first to find her, don't know how I knew but I ended up finding her first after all :p

Gemma and jcgoble3 like this.
  9. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Never played Sardines. And when I played hide-and-seek, I played it in either the woods or around the yard. My brother and I were avid tree-climbers. Needless to say, us hiding in either a large oak tree or a big yew tree made things difficult for our non-arboreal friends.

jcgoble3 likes this.
  10. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

Alas, I don't even have gin; the strongest thing in my liquor cabinet right now is brandy. I hope that won't ruin things too much! Honestly, if the main point of the liquor is to get me drowsy, I'm sure the brandy will do just fine; I have what the FH describes as "a large surface-area-to-body-mass ratio," and as a result it doesn't take too much liquor to make me drowsy. (Which is part of why I don't drink much.)

But I'm looking forward to trying the Goodwood Remedy tonight, especially having picked up a lovely quart of fresh-squeezed tangerine juice earlier today!

11. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    When I was suffering from the flu, I drank Southern Comfort. Nasty, nasty, NASTY! It did shorten my suffering, though.

12. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    So what is Southern Comfort, actually? I've never been completely clear on that point.

13. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I think the bottle I had was just a sample bottle of the bourbon. Apparently, it's classified as a liqueur. Either way, it's nasty to drink straight, but it'll clear your sinuses and soothe a sore throat.

14. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    If ever I have nasty sinus trouble, I usually just snort some cayenne pepper, clears it up in moments.

My original reason for trying it was I was looking for pepper to induce a sneeze to help clear my airway, but all we had were peppercorns in a grinder, which would be unwieldy for the use I intended. Knowing that cayenne pepper also has some medicinal properties in addition to being pepper, I tried it and it worked even better than I intended, with the drawback that the inside of my nose was tingly for some time. :p

15. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Greek chili peppers are great at soothing a sore throat. Every time I get a sore throat, I eat a chili pepper, as the capsaicin helps.

16. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    By Greek peppers, do you mean the stubby, light green pepperoncini things often found in Greek and Italian salads? If so, those are the few kinds of preserved hot pepper I can actually stomach (but still only one at a time—I'm a bit of a capsaicin wimp).

Anakin Solo Revanchist, that sounds similar to something my mother does with salt water (boiled first, of course) when she has sinus trouble. I know stuff like that is supposed to work well—I'm just a fraidy cat about snorting stuff up my nose!

I tried the Goodwood Remedy last night, though unfortunately with brandy because that was all I had. It still didn't taste bad, and it was definitely both tasty and drowsifying, though unfortunately this time it was counteracted somewhat by the fact that I had also been staying up much later than I should have trying to write a story section that (a) isn't the one I actually need to be writing and that (b) probably won't end up in the "official" version of the story anyhow. Sigh...

17. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
  18. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Findswoman - Yep, I'm referring to pepperoncini, which I can never spell correctly, so I just call them Greek peppers. Wish I had some now, as my sinuses are draining like crazy and my allergies have ramped up big time.

19. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I'm back from Spring Break! I see nobody noticed I was gone. :( Florida was nice. I didn't see snow coming back until I got about 100 miles from my house. I still have a foot of snow on the ground at home. :rolleyes:

20. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Welcome back, Jedi_Lover! [:D]

How was your trip? Anything exciting/unexpected happen?

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    My family spent every moment together for 9 days and we didn't kill each other! That was a shocker! :eek: I was smart and loaded up my laptop with video game apps and let my youngest son use it. My oldest inherited my previous laptop, so he was all set. That helped during the long drive down to Florida and back. I didn't hear a word from them the entire time. The beach was fun. We had it all to ourselves. Obviously the water was much too cold for the locals, but for Michiganders it was just fine. My sons learned how to boogie board. We also spent three days at Disneyworld. I really liked the Star Tours ride at the Disney Hollywood Studios. The lines weren't too bad. The longest line was 70 minutes, but most of the time we were in and out in 20-30 minutes.

Gemma likes this.
  22. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    I know about that drive, I used to live in Tallahassee and my family would take two-week vacations up here to Detroit to visit family.

23. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Sorry J_L, I tend to miss what under my nose even if it's indicated to me :p Glad that your family didn't maim each other from the proximity, I know that there would be at least minor damage upon my sisters in a similar situation :p

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Welcome back, Jedi_Lover! Sounds like you and the fam had a lovely time, and I'm so glad the long trip down was peaceful.

I think mostly so—thanks for asking. I'm definitely coughing less today than I typically do at this stage of the cold. If I had gotten more sleep last night it might have been even more effective, but that was nobody's fault but my own. I'll try another dose tonight, in conjunction with an earlier bedtime; I may have to use yet another liquor, though, because I'm almost out of the brandy and I need to save some for one of the meals I'm making this week. My options are basically white vermouth, peach schnapps, and amaretto, so this should be interesting...!

EDIT: It is very, very tasty with the peach schnapps.

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I ended up sleeping all day and I'm still thinking of calling it an early night tonight. After a nice day today, we're getting rain tomorrow.

I blame the weather for my allergies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.