main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Galactic Timeline Excessively Long?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Carl L., Mar 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I hate how we only know about 5000 years out of 25,000 years.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Agreed. 25,000 to 5000 is ripe for stories.

3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The Essential Guide to Warfare has a few scenes from that era - and the endnotes are adding more - but it would be interesting to see it covered in more depth - novels, campaign settings, etc.

spicer likes this.
  4. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Ugh yes. I thought it was dumb when Yoda's birth year was given as 896 ABY. Because when he said "When 900 years old you reach" he clearly meant exactly 900. The Force willed it that Luke visited him and he died at the age of such a nice round number. Also TOTJ is EXACTLY 4000 years before A New Hope and Ruusan EXACTLY 1000 years because that's how history works in real life too.

5. Lugija

Lugija Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 3, 2009
    And if I remember correctly Chewie is exactly 200 years old in ANH. Jedi Prince series which is set in 5 ABY says that he is 205 years old, which sounds like somebody hearing that he was two centuries old and adding five.

6. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    "Impossible. The Sith have been extinct for a millennium."

"You mean 1000 years ago today?"

"No, I mean 1000 years before the Battle of Yavin. Trust me, it'll make sense in thirty-two years."

timmoishere, Ulicus , Gamiel and 9 others like this.
  7. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The Star Wars movies and most of the Expanded Universe material take place when hyperspace travel, the Galactic Republic and modern society have existed for over 25,000 years. They could be set 300 years after the Republic's founding, 5000 years or 1 million years in the future, it wouldn't matter, somewhen they have to take place, and after 130 ABY there are still enough events to occur, guess what's going around 50 million years after the movies.

There are other science fiction universes with equally long timespans, like Dune (takes place over 20K years into the future), Warhammer 40,000 and Battlestar Galactica (the new series and it's two spin-offs are set over 150 millenia ago, in the last episode there is a jump to 2009 or the very near future) The only thing that may confuse many viewers in SW is, that most, especially mainstream, science ficion media ar set within 100-1000 years from the present, like Star Trek, Babylon 5 and Mass Effect.

8. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    One thing that does stick out like a sore thumb is the 18,000 years in between the birth of the Republic and Jedi and the birth of the Sith.

9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    That's something I love about the timeline. It provides room for stories where the Jedi and Republic aren't fighting the tired old Sith again and again. The best part of Warfare was the early Republic section.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk 2

10. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    If only there were books in that era.

purplerain likes this.
  11. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    I'd love that too. I wonder what the Jedi and Republic did during these 18,000 years and why the Sith suddenly sprung up in 7000 BBY.

12. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    Yep.

I can't understand why 5,000 or 7,000 (thought it was 5,000) years of Sith history couldn't be enough. That's literally as long as all of recorded human history on this planet. There's plenty of time to fit stories in there without throwing the Sith in before their original tiff with the Jedi. (Or after ROTJ).

purplerain likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.