main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social Newbie Welcome Party - The House-Warming Party!

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Skiara , Sep 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyJediscientist

LadyJediscientist Jedi Knight

Jun 22, 2007
    Hello out there in Star Wars land!:)
    I've been offline for awhile and I am looking to get back into the swing of things again. Anybody else excited about the next Celebration? I am very excited because it will be my first Celebration![face_party]

Darth Gangrenous likes this.
  2. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    Welcome back. :) If you go, you'll have a great time. :D

3. LadyJediscientist

Jun 22, 2007
    Already bought my ticket!:D

4. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Welcome back indeed. Enjoy Celebration......

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I'll be going to Celebration too in order to confirm the fact that I'm a living, breathing human being and not the personality matrix of the interwebs.

LadyJediscientist likes this.
  6. LadyJediscientist

Jun 22, 2007
    Yes it is very important that people know you are alive and just a figment of a computer's overactive imagination.:D Your first Celebration is it?

7. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    The matrix only allows a certain amount of people to attend the Celebrations.

[​IMG]

8. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Welcome back! You are going to love Celebration :D

Not gonna lie, I absolutely love reality TV. The Bachelor, Real Housewives, I've seen it all. And Food Network. Oh, Food Network, how I adore thee.

I think reality TV is great escapism. Like reading People. Not everyone's cup of tea, for sure, but it's a way to forget my problems and laugh at other people's fake drama.

9. LadyJediscientist

Jun 22, 2007
    And what happens to the matrix if its parameters are violated? Does it explode?! :eek: Or does it reset?;)

10. Skiara

Skiara ~• RSA FFC •~ star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 5, 2002
    In my view, some shows (Families in focus, the detektives, when children getting childs, case of fraud, etc - that's the translated names, not sure how they are named in English) would be ok to watch every now and then - IF the actors weren't so bad that it hurts or the story is so unrealistic that even the stupiest one simply can't buy a single cent for 'real' (I hope that it's just made so horrible in Germany). Bachelor, cooking shows and other casting shows are ok - those are done ok/well mostly. I have to admit that I watch one or two of them. ;)

As you said, in the end it's up to everyone himself, since everyone has a different taste and focus on different things. :)

Btw... Food Network? What is it about? I don't think that we have a show that is about the same topic. :confused:

Welcome LadyJediscientist! :)
    I won't be at the next Celebration, but maybe at the Jedi-Con in Germany this year.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Skiara Americans are odd in that we get generally uptight over any public showing of sexuality, yet we seem to like great amounts of violence and soap operas. Go figure. I would bet that European reality shows would be much more informative than their American counterparts.

12. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ehm... not really. At least not the German ones. I can't speak for other countries. Some pretend to give information, but not really... or it's always the same blatant stuff... For sure, there are informative series, some more lighthearted, some less, but those you can't find in the daytime program. Earliest they start at 7pm.

The amount of violence is 'average' I'd say, but since most of the shows and series are sold through the whole world, it's just a question of time when it'll arrive here as well.

13. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    Skiara, Food Network is a television channel that has cooking shows on it. Some are cooking competitions, some just show people how to cook different recipes. We also have a TV channel called The Cooking Channel. We have detective shows that are supposed to be based on real life events. We have something similar to "children getting childs" called Teen Mom. Then there's other crap like Honey Booboo and Duck Dynasty(I use to watch it until it got too ridiculous(my family is from the same sort of background but most of us aren't nearly that hillbilly/redneck/out there)).

14. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Ah, a whole channel. There are tons of different channels, but I haven't heard of such a channel, so I think, we don't have a similar one. We just have those cooking competitions and 'how to cook' shows though.

Then there are some similarities...

What is the latest casting show they 'invented'? I'd guess we'll have that one next year then. ;)

15. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    I don't know if there is a new one.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    I could watch Food Network's shows for days on end. They're so addictive!

I don't think there's been a new one of those in a while (at least not one worth mentioning).

17. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Speaking of TV, does anyone like college basketball (in the States)? Final Four was last night, and the championship game is tomorrow. And all my picks are out 8-}

18. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    College basketball might be one of the few sports that I might enjoy watching at tv - I'm not a big sports watcher, I prefer doing it ;) - but we don't have anything similar like college basketball. Even basketball is not that famous here. If they show sports at tv, it's mostly soccer, soccer, formular one, soccer, tennis, soccer and ice-hockey, plus the olympic games.

19. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Go UCONN Lady Huskies.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It is soooo nice out right now!

21. Desha Dorvan

Desha Dorvan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 30, 2014
    Wish it was nice out here *looks out window to grey skies and rain*

22. Darth Gangrenous

Jun 1, 2005
    But what about soccer? :p

23. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    And the dudes, too! I hate Kentucky :p

Skiara I learned that European universities don't really do sports when I was over there, which is kind of a bummer! I enjoy them quite a bit. But hey, nothing wrong with soccer :p

24. Skiara

Nov 5, 2002
    Oh, right! Soccer!! How could I almost forget about it!! :oops::p

At least, nothing similar to the ones in the US. There are various sport courses and classes at (almost) every university, even competitions, but nothing nearly as big as college sport. Somehow sad, but also more relaxing, if one who isn't highly talented wants to do some sport. No prob to find a sport class. Unless it's a very popular one, then there are almost no open spots left... ;)

25. AzureAngel2

AzureAngel2 Chosen One star 6

Jun 14, 2005
    Cool, this place still exists!

*beams because she is still overjoyed from meeting Chilla in RL today.

Then I remembered this place and wanted to check out if I spot familiar faces. Nice to see you, Skiara, NYCitygurl & Darth Gangrenous

*deals out plenty of hugs

Now that Chilla is off to some university student party in a totally different part of Berlin, I am alone again in my flat. For my husband DarthUncle being galaxies away from me in his own country until further notice.

Work does not start until Monday morning & I must admit it is so extremely quit without happy children jumping up & down in front of me, shoving me SW paintings into the face and asking me interesting questions (such as: "Is Putin as bad as the Emperor?", "Do you think Vader can eat ice-cream?", "Why does the brother of Darth Maul look like a bumble bee?", "Is the Death Star an evil space station or a good one?", "If I do not say sorry when I hurt somebody here in the kindergarten, do I turn into a sith automatically?").

Remembering how nice this place used to be, I could not resist to check.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.