main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I loved John Cleese as Robin Hood.

soitscometothis likes this.
  2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014) - IMO, Marvel's post-Avengers "Phase 2" has been a big 0-fer so far. Or should I say had been 0-fer. Building upon the Avengers universe, yet still standing on its own, Winter Soldier is an absolute winner. I love that, at its heart, it's really a 70s style political conspiracy thriller. As if to drive that point home, they cast Robert Redford, who really adds a dimension of gravitas. My enthusiasm had been flagging, but Winter Soldier now has me amped for Avengers 2. - 8/10

3. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    i wouldn't say it's his best work, but i'm still kind of thinking about it. i would recommend dancer in the dark, antichrist, or melancholia as your next von trier pain marathon.

4. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Man, not even his obvious toupee and guy liner could save that movie. At least he was having fun biting into the rotten cheese that was the script. :p

Speaking of David Warner...he was in the 1979 movie called SOS Titanic. He played a real-life passenger named Lawrence Beesley. This movie is also notable for having the part of the Titanic played by the Queen Mary...the one docked in Long Beach, California. The one with an obvious radar assembly on the bridge...you know, because radar so obviously existed in 1912. That might have saved the Titanic some trouble...maybe the Lusitania, too, along with a lot of other ships come WWI...

5. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Antichrist sounds like the most painful one. Should I do that one first?

6. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Sorry, commenting on something I know nothing about...

7. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    if that's what you're aiming for, then yes. dancer in the dark is also brutal but in a different way. also, i forgot to mention breaking the waves as another highlight.

8. duende

Apr 28, 2006
    here are the trailers for those, internets. we report, you decide:

9. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    They're all great. Breaking the Waves is probably my favourite as it was one of if not the first movie I saw of his. Still need to see Nymph.

10. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    The Re-Animator

Believe it or not I've never seen it until last week. It was delightfully campy and hilariously bloody. I loved it.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Antichrist is all that and a bag of cheetos

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Hours (2013)

Despite Paul Walker's valiant efforts to make this film worth watching, it's incredibly tedious, clichéd, poorly written, and has some rather odd twists. Meh.

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier IMO, this is the best of the Marvel sequels. I could use less car chases, but the characters are believable, entertaining, and Cap is always likeable. BW and Cap make a great team and an entertaining... umm... undefined couple? The scenes with veterans rang true to me.

But I really miss the great way the first one captured the atmosphere and culture of WW2. It's a pity there's no easy way to go back to that period costume drama story that made the original stand out from the pack.

14. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Maybe if ABC orders the Agent Carter pilot to a full series...[face_whistling]

Sarge and Juke Skywalker like this.
  15. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    I really wanted one more Cap flick set in WWII, but I understand why they had to get him to the present, and I do enjoy the "man out of time" aspect (though I think they should play that aspect up just a *bit* more).

Oh well, there's always the proposed Rocketeer re-boot.

Sarge likes this.
  16. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    First I've heard of that. Any details?

17. Juke Skywalker

Mar 27, 2004
    None yet, and it was announced almost two years ago. Probably a result of Disney looking at the returns for their Marvel movies and going "What else do we have lying around here..." :p.

18. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Great movie, highly recommended. I was surprised, as I've never been a big fan of Captain America. Won't say anything more here, don't want to spoil it. It even made my top ten list of comic book movies. Keep up the good work Marvel.

19. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Watching Antichrist for the first time later this week. Not prepared, but would I ever be?

Also, The Sweet Hereafter is really good, you guys. So is High and Low.

Speaking of which, this post is about to go from high to a new low, low, low. Sry.

Huh. I guess you know you're reaching when you go for the fake lake line. The dime in question was a replica of a 1912 Barber dime, which if you wanted to verify for yourself (i don't think you do), you could tell from the bottom inscription. James Cameron doesn't know how to write dialogue, but if he's shoving his camera half an inch away from a historical artifact clearly replicated for the purpose of screen time, I think he might know what he's pointing it at, don't you think? And while Titanic may be a cliché love story shoved into an inappropriate action/adventure spectacle, one thing you can't really fault it for is being historically inaccurate, as it just might be one of the most accurate stupid historical spectacles ever made, so using it as a measure of low historical accuracy, particularly against Pearl Harbor, is just kinda dumb.

So while I get wanting to hate on the film, because it's fun and easy and cathartic (and lazy, but you know that), you're doing it wrong. If you want to go after historical inaccuracies, you're missing the most obvious: the gross over-simplification of class issues and caricaturization of historical figures. Ismay as a buffoon, Andrews as a saint, Murdoch as a murderous coward, etc. If we're going to retread these same tired critiques which at this point feel more cliché and boring than the film itself, let's at least make valid points.

But yeah. The lake he mentions in passing didn't exist in 1912. Takes me out of the film every time Kate tries to jump off the back of the boat. I'm just like guys that lake didnt ****ing exist this is AWFUL. ****ING FAKE LAKE THAT'S NOT REAL **** YOU LEO **** YOU KATE **** YOU JIMMY this was CLEARLY filmed after WWI when they made that lake.

now there's some "great comedy" to rival the hilarity of an SNL sketch.

20. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Had to log in just to like this exquisitely crafted composition of bile and hilarity.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Bacon's one sensitive spot. Interesting to see what happens when you step on the landline.

Anyway, to whoever was going to watch Melancholia, you actually want Another Earth. The quality difference is about on par as the one between Will Smith's I Am Legend and the asylum films knock-off I Am Omega.

22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Actually, watch Melancholia instead. If you want to be depressed, at least do so watching the film that at least it's artistic about it instead of the one that...well...

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Didn't Bjork vow to never act again after Dancer in the Dark?

24. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    She should probably vow to stop attacking reporters instead....

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, apparently so. The entire movie or just the nonexistent lake criticism?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.