main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Rewriting the originals

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Apr 4, 2014.

1. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Made in the same vein as the "Rewriting the prequels" thread

Due to their place in the in-universe timeline and the production order, use this thread either as a "rewriting if they remade them now" or "how they should have written them then"

:)

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    As I've posted elsewhere, I'd give Lando more screen time in ROTJ. Beyond that, I'm fine.

kubricklynch likes this.
  3. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I would like to hear more explained about the Dark Side Cave on Dagobah.

4. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    If we were writing the originals, I would have not made Leia Luke's sister....

MidKnighT, Avnar, WriterMan and 5 others like this.
  5. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Make "Darth Vader" a name that Anakin started using upon becoming a Jedi. That way Vader being Obi-Wan's apprentice doesn't give away that he's Anakin.

Avnar likes this.
  6. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    Just make Endor change Kashyyyk, have the plan to rescue frozen Han make actual sense, and I'm good.

Truth be told, I'm already good as it is :p

7. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    I would have done something other than a second Death Star in ROTJ.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    ROTJ-Have the Rebels attack Coruscant. Leia and Vader hash things out.
    That's it really.

ShaneP and JediFan215 like this.
  9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I'd rewrite much of Return of the Jedi. If you read The Making of Return of the Jedi, you'll see that a lot of the earlier drafts - although rough, as they were earlier drafts - were better suited as sequels to The Empire Strikes Back. Darth Vader was more in keeping with the determined, conniving Vader we saw in Empire, rather than the sad sack he became in Jedi. That wasn't to say Vader's overall arc changed, though. He still died to save Luke, but his characterization was consistent with Empire, whereas Jedi was a departure.

Early drafts also put more focus on Leia; she was on what would ultimately be known as Endor for much longer. It was also a moon of the Imperial capital rather than a moon of Endor, if I recall correctly. I don't remember if those drafts had Leia as Luke's sister, though.

Another thing I liked about the earlier drafts is that Obi-Wan and Yoda were more active. Force ghosts were explained as a state between life and death; they either had to rejoin the world of the living, or become one with the Force. I think, and I can't remember exactly, that Yoda and Obi-Wan - and maybe even Anakin - rejoined the world of the living at the end. I didn't quite like the entirety of the approach, but I did like the idea of Obi-Wan and Yoda being more active, rather than just having brief appearances. I know Alec Guinness wanted a meatier role for Jedi, unlike what was essentially a cameo in Empire, and it was consistent with what Obi-Wan said in A New Hope: "if you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine." That never really became a factor.

It needed a lot of polish, but ultimately the core ideas of the earlier Jedi drafts were better than the final product and served as a better continuation of Empire. That's not to say I don't like the final product, though. I do. It's just the weakest of the original trilogy.

10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Explain how powerful the Imperial Senate is and what became of the Empire at the end of ROTJ.

Luke'sSeveredHand likes this.
  11. Boba Fobia

Boba Fobia Jedi Youngling

Apr 7, 2014
    Flesh out Boba Fett a bit more in Empire & ROTJ. IIRC, there are some interesting ideas floating around out there in the EU.

Given how well the clones were written in CW, it might make sense for some of them to have discovered/found a way around Order 66, and they could be part of the alliance.

12. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ROTJ only:

Kill off one of the main cast as other writers etc had wanted - Han or Lando were prime candidates
    A better ending, the whole teddy bears picnic (Harrison Fords words not mine) lets the ending down.

Not so much rewrites, but the sandstorm and lightsaber construction scenes should be included

13. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    We needed to see more ewoks dying. Not that I hate them, but the forest battle should have been desperate, not silly.

Tone down the weird monsters in Jabba's palace. Seeing a whole bunch of aliens was cool once in the cantina, but RotJ went overboard with that recycled idea.

14. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    ANH

*Remove the Jabba scene from ANH. I love me some Jabba, but sticking that scene into the SE was unnecessary.

*Either add in all the deleted scenes with Biggs or have none at all. His surprise appearance in ANH is a bit unbalanced (though it's a scene that I truly love).

*Add a scene in ANH where the Emperor abolishes the Senate.

ESB

*Have Obi-Wan explain Force ghosts.

*Although it makes for a humerous bit, remove the kiss between Luke and Leia.

ROTJ

*Trim down the Jabba's Palace and Sarlaac Pit stuff just a bit.

*Insert the lightsaber construction scene.

*Make Vader more in-line with his ESB self.

*Create a new superweapon rather than a second Death Star.

*Either create a new species to replace the Ewoks or beef them up a bit.

*Portray the Alliance's struggle against the Empire as one of absolute struggle and despair. That way, when they blow up the second Death Star, they are just as surprised as the Empire probably is.

15. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    ANH

Speed up the droids wandering across Tatooine scenes.
    Han shoots first (again).
    Chewie gets his medal
    Trim some of those SE additions in Mos Eisley

ESB

Nothing...love it just the way it is

ROTJ

Delete that awful Jedi Rocks and replace it with the original song and puppets
    If you must keep Ewoks, make them team up with a larger Wookiee like creature
    Show the rebels fighting more on Endor to make the defeat of the Empire more believable
    Give Wedge some more lines (always a favorite minor character)
    Make Vader more of a bada$$ like he was in ESB
    Make a new superstation instead of a second Death Star
    Replace Hayden Anakin with the Shaw Anakin at the end
    Extended celebrations across the galaxy not needed (and hearing a gungan scream that he's free is like Lucas giving a number of fans the finger for hating Jar Jar)

16. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Replace Palpatine's advisors with Sly Moore and Mas Amedda.

Tho Yor, Shadao and Andy Wylde like this.
  17. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Replace the Death Star II with the Imperial Palace and the Ewoks with the people of Coruscant.

18. Arch Stanton

Arch Stanton Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 15, 2014
    The only thing that needs adjusting is the length of the Tatooine rescue segment in ROTJ. The rest is perfect (even Ewoks).

19. Polydroxol

Polydroxol Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2014
    Have Boba Fett kill at least one person in either TESB or ROTJ. Also, have him survive the sail barge and die as the last obstacle defending the Shield Generator. Maybe with a 1v1 showdown with Han.

canuckmuse and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  20. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    ANH:
    -Include the two deleted scenes in which Luke is introduced watching the star destroyers, the scene where he shows it to his friends, and then the scene with Biggs.
    -Speed things up a bit by including some stormtrooper action earlier on. A few ideas for that:
    1) Stormtroopers raid Obi-Wan's hut during their talk, and Obi-Wan drives them off via the force, but is also helped by Luke, where we see Luke's potential as a Jedi for the first time.
    2) Have a bit of a confrontation with stormtroopers when Luke goes back to his Aunt and Uncle's house.
    -Make the Obi-Wan vs. Vader duel what it should've been (NO DARNED TWIRL).

ESB
    -Instead of Han running directly into Vader, he's attacked by Boba Fett, and they have a suitably awesome fight which is made difficult for Boba when Chewie steps in. He neutralizes them both and brings them to (DUNDUNDUN) Vader.

ROTJ
    -In Jabba's palace, Fett escapes the Sarlaac and goes to Vader to warn him about Luke's new power and Solo's escape.
    -Ewoks are fine, but they just have to be less teddy-bearish. If you look on the official Star Wars instagram there's a concept model of what they may have looked like (more like little wookies, less like toys). Also, they should be roused not because they think C3-PO is a god, but because of Leia (maybe C3PO translates for her?), to really solidify her strength as a leader.
    -When they attack the shield generator there're a few stormtroopers, BUT Boba Fett and the other bounty hunters from ESB are the primary defense, giving Han a great rematch and making the bounty hunter's introduction in ESB less pointless (revisiting Bosk, Dengar, IG-88, etc.). R2 should totally be the one to defeat IG-88.
    -Replace the rebuilt Death Star with a different superweapon. I personally would go with Marvel's old "Tarkin".
    -Give the Imperial Guards something to do.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and Sarge like this.
  21. SeinEwigerSchatten

SeinEwigerSchatten Jedi Padawan star 1

May 10, 2013
    Cut that force ghost crap.

Only Obi Wans voice would have been more than enough.

------

Also the empire should have been destroyed from the inside, like every evil empire. Sabotage from Imperial members. Not from funny forest inhabitants like ewoks crap.

And the entire Imperial fleet getting their asses handed over to them from a tiny fleet of the rebel alliance makes also no sense.

Movie hints that Sidious could see in the future. I wonder why the hell he did not see the fury asses of those ewoks and exterminated them before Luke arrives?!

canuckmuse and sarlaccsaurs-rex like this.
  22. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Maybe you could try and make your points without quite so many references to things best kept for the privacy of the bathroom.

Tosche_Station likes this.
  23. Drewdude91

Drewdude91 Jedi Knight star 3

May 21, 2011
    What's with all the people saying Boba Fett would turn Han in to the Empire? Or defend the shield generator? Etc. He's a bounty hunter, Palpatine wouldn't hire him as a solider.

As for what I would change: very little actually. Mostly just dialogue. Don't have Luke and Leia make out. More connections between the trilogies. Mention the name "Palpatine" at least once or twice. Also, have him feature in more than just ROTJ. He doesn't need to be in the front of the films, but he should have more than just a mention in ANH and a hologram in ESB. Also, just a slight reference to Mustafar would be nice either in the Obi-Wan/Vader fight, when Obi-Wan talks about Anakin's past.

24. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought "teddy bear luau" was Gary Kurtz's description.

25. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    Why would he turn in Han? Well, likely because Han just shoved him into a sarlaac. And then he could've been hired to protect the shield generator because he looks cool and, in all seriousness, because he's a lot more talented and dangerous than most stormtroopers, and the shield generator is extremely strategically important.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.