main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Star_Wars_books

Here's a list of every Star Wars EU Book. There has to be over 100 novels here. We honestly can't expect the films to really cover all this right? I do agree with the EU fans though. This is a lot of hard work to just write out, these authors brought a lot to this franchise.

Iron_lord likes this.
  2. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Well, they did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Moreover, LucasFilm has also told Hasbro to stop making Expanded Universe action figures:

http://www.jeditemplearchives.com/content/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=13152

Of course, the people working on the film could certainly include characters or planets from the EU, thus canonizing them, like what TCW did.

Darth_Pevra, Lurknomore and TheBBP like this.
  3. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    Chewie survived that moon ? that's amazing......

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I keep pushing for a Bill & Ted's Excellent Retcon Adventure crossover comic, myself!

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Before everyone starts celebrating the demise of the Expanded Universe, how about you...don't.

The Chewie thing is an as-yet unconfirmed rumor.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  6. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Being picked up all over the place -

Time, Yahoo, CNN, Us weekly...

And Lucasfilm/Disney won't even confirm Adam Driver, so this is as good as it gets.

http://time.com/52711/star-wars-episode-vii-chewbacca-peter-mayhew/

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/chewb...-193600871.html;_ylt=AwrTWVVWXUNTazoAuFnQtDMD

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2014/04/07/star-wars-episode-vii-peter-mayhews-in/

Darth_Pevra and Lurknomore like this.
  7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It should be noted that the Illustrated Fact File is still going on - and includes TFU information.

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Just as a disclaimer, I don't care if the Expanded Universe is "canon" or not "canon." As long as the quality is good, that's all that matters to me. However, I will say that I don't want them to follow anything stupid like the New Jedi Order series or the Legacy of the Force series. Actually, while I do enjoy some of the post-ROTJ EU, I think most of it is a mess. Regardless, it's not my view on the EU as a whole, just the part that takes place after ROTJ.

HanSolo29 likes this.
  9. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It's not so much the rumor itself, it's the unholy glee that some are exhibiting about the supposed demise of the Expanded Universe.

Don t getta me wrongo, I think that most of the post-RotJ material is pretty craptastic (and I say this as a founding member of the EUDF, if anyone remembers them), and I've long been a naysayer about including EU material in the ST, but I don't think that dancing on the EU's grave is called for.

Circular Logic, Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  10. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    It's just a bit of a wind up, Merk, no one's calling for a mass round up/recall of the books etc. etc. or ending all EU discussion, or other potential EU elements in the movies. Just as the EU elements bleed over into other threads, joy in the idea that Peter (who has been the most consistently visible OT actors, who utterly adores his character and embraces it) is potentially getting his reward. For all we know (horror of horrors) it could be for a 'flashback' (please, for all that's Star Wars, No) or a dream, or something.

11. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It's one thing to be jubilant about the possibility of Chewie's return. But this spirit of "In your face, book fans!" is what I find distasteful.

12. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Don't mean to be insensitive, but haven't book/comic/cartoon fans heard GL's comments from a few years ago about the EU? He said it's all a "parallel universe" that exists separate to his world created in the movies. So now they're making more movies...& people are surprised or upset that they diverge from the EU ?? I don't get that.

Dewback, DarthBreezy and TheBBP like this.
  13. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  14. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    then again, GL also said that there will be no episodes VII, VIII or IX. he also said a lot of other stuff which he himself completely ignored the next day. uhm, yes and there's that thing about Anakin's padawan who we never ever heard of in EP III, VI, V and VI ;)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    She's from the parallel universe too ;)

16. werpudel

Dec 4, 2008
    nope, that's movie-canon as defined by LFL

17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That was "defined" pre January 2014, so under the old redundant system.

I didn't actually type that, it was a keyboard malfunction [face_whistling]

Dewback likes this.
  18. werpudel

Dec 4, 2008
    pretty sure that TCW and "Rebels" is still considered canon ;)

Ryus and TheBBP like this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Rebels is the future, so yes. Past stuff...have patience my friend. New announcements will come soon enough.

For the purposes of these boards though & our discussions, everything is canon. Thems the rules [face_peace]

20. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Even my Jar-Jar Colouring book? ;)

21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Haven't you been listening.....everything!! ;)

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Everything is canon!
    Everything is cool when you're part of a fanbase!
    Everything is canooooon!
    When your opinions aren't defaced!

lbr789 and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Let's drop the "canon" argument, mmmmkay? I have a banhammer I've not used in awhile if the point needs to be driven home...

24. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    I wonder if they will announce some cast on may 4th.

25. THE_PIED_PIPER

THE_PIED_PIPER Chapter Rep Knoxville, TN star 4

Jun 8, 2006
    My opinions on Chewbacca's 'almost certain ' :p confirmed ST appearance and the post VP EU:

The SW EU has been a fixture in my life since I was 15 years-old with the release of HTTE. However, I hated the NJO so I'm pleased with this announcement. Disney doing their own thing is what makes since both from a business and creative viewpoint. You don't spend over 4 billion dollars to buy a franchise so you can retell stories told by novels.

I'm happy, and hopeful that the irreparable damage done to the SW galaxy starting with VP will be undone. Not to say that all the material in this time frame was bad, it wasn't. I ADORE the Legacy comics and enjoyed parts of LotF. There were individual novels in both NJO and LoTF that were excellent. But overall, I feel that much more harm than good has been done the last 15 years or so.

I'm among the many who have purchased post VP books, so I understand the concern of having the movies retcon them. However, I'm sure once we see the new movies - in all their undeniable awesomeness - we'll be like... NJO? What was NJO? :D

BigAl6ft6 and DarthBreezy like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.