main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. thebeanpole

thebeanpole Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 11, 2013
    From Russia With Love by Ian Fleming. So far it's been great, my first foray into the Bond books and so far I have not been disappointed.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Attack of the Deranged Mutant Killer Monster Snow Goons by Bill Watterson. Pretty heavy stuff.

[​IMG]

3. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Book 2 of the Black Company

[​IMG]

I am addicted to this series all of a sudden. Cook's writing style is very easy to sink into. Curt and direct, and while the overall plot might not be so completely original, the characters and their interactions and plights keep me turning pages.

4. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    The Red Knight by Miles Cameron. Good take on classical fantasy in a post-grimdark world.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    John Adams, by David McCullough. I enjoyed it, but thought it was a bit overrated. McCullough isn't the best at organizing and presenting his information, and the whole giant first chapter, which covers everything up to the Second Continental Congress, is needlessly jumbled. But the prose is good, and it's generally a pretty good biography. It's easy to see why it got such attention, despite its shortcomings, because McCullough notably helped rehabilitate a Founding Father who's never had that great a reputation. McCullough paints a great portrait of Adams as a crucial statesman, principled intellectual, and loving husband, but it does feel like he helps his rehabilitation job by writing around the criticism more than tackling it. He touches on stuff like the Alien and Sedition Acts without really digging into it, and acknowledges Adams's ambition and vanity without really addressing it directly in Adams's conflicts with others. I can understand admiring Adams's accomplishments and virtues and accentuating them, but it feels a bit hollow and one-sided when McCullough repeatedly skips by opportunities to offer any serious criticism.

It's a good, solidly informative biography about a remarkable historical figure, and it's a real pleasure to learn about Adams, but it's short of being a great biography, and I find myself mostly unimpressed with McCullough.

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

in the grimdark of the far future, there is only singapore

realtalk tho lemme know about that myles cameron. he's "on my list" and i need to know if he's worth moving up to "collecting dust on my bookshelf" status

7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    So far, I'll say these points:

* Cameron is a re-enactment enthusiast and marital historian so there's lots of detail in the combat and armour
    * If GRRM has an American view of aristocracy, Cameron has a British one (though unlike Joe Abercrombie, who's got a working class British take)
    * It's more toff than ASOIAF

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  8. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, as someone said, it's safer on a battlefield than at weddings these days...

Kiki-Gonn, Sarge and soitscometothis like this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    That was the very last C&H book that I purchased.

10. Grievousdude

Grievousdude Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 27, 2013
    Finished Revenge of the Dwarves and now onto Fate of the Dwarves the last book in the Dwarves series. These books are great so I'm sad that I'm nearly done with the series.

11. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I Are The Internets
    It's the very first one I've bought (£1 in a charity shop). I never read C&H before, it's not as bad as I was expecting! It does actually get quite deep in a few frames. I'm about halfway through, no sign of winter yet.

12. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    The Authoritative Calvin and Hobbes was the first collection I bought waaaay back in 1998 when I was only 6 years old. I own all of the collections now. It was basically my childhood along with Dilbert.

13. V-2

Dec 10, 2012
    I was a Beano, Eagle and Transformers kid. Oh and Asterix and Tintin.

14. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "Secret Weapons of WW2" by William Breuer. Not impressed with this one. It's basically a string of vignettes that mention codes, A-bombs, spies, radar, and rockets, with no details, explanations, or analysis of their affects. I'll sum it up as "shallow."

15. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I kinda picked you for a 2000 AD kid, V...

V-2 likes this.
  16. DAR

DAR Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 8, 2004
    Calvin and Hobbes always a good choice

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  17. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Sounds like the kind of history book you find towards the front of a B&N, worth it for the low price but stays at a coffee table book level throughout.

Sarge likes this.
  18. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000

Good sir, nerdom is achieved when you've read Consider Phlebas, not Player of Games. :)

19. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    There. Fixed. :p

Saintheart likes this.
  20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Going to be re-reading Paradise Lost and Regained many times since I'm writing my thesis on it.

21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    The Pat Hobby Stories. F. Scott Fitzgerald, his literary triumphs of the twenties long-forgotten, now a washed-up screenwriter living paycheck to paycheck, wrote a series of stories at the start of the 1940s about Pat Hobby, a washed-up screenwriter living paycheck to paycheck, his screenwriting credits of the twenties silent era long forgotten. As is common, Fitzgerald's work tends toward pseudo-autobiographical self-loathing, but here he puts his experience to use not for grave literature, but for entertainment, summoning his sense of humor about the situation to make Hobby's pathetic situation and constant desperation a thing of humor, a comic schemer whose bad luck is always the punchline. The stories are funny, and show off Fitzgerald's sharp wit, and though they don't have his accustomed depth they're not wholly shallow. It's also great fun to see the glory days of the Hollywood studio system parodied by an insider. A great collection.

22. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Going to start "Up, Back, and Away" by K. Velk today

23. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

On to another Ethshar novel. I hit used book stores on occasion just to try and find more.

24. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Up, Back, and Away by K. Velk

25. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    I'm going to start giving Marx's Capital a go in an attempt to embrace more fully my inner Marxist.

V-2 likes this.