main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT What would have happened to Anakin/ Darth Vader if he survived his final encounter with Palpatine?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Mach, Mar 22, 2014.

1. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    It's not really about making our lives memorable and more about wanting to know the truth. Deep down, people don't like the idea of secrets and secrets being put in place for the good of others. That's why journalism in all its many forms, from the legit to the yellow, make such as stink about the truth. About the public demanding transparency from government officials and why relationships tend to crumble when evidence of secrets come to light. Other cases, it is about people wanting to know all the answers to life's questions. Why are we here? What is our purpose? What is the meaning of life? Such is human nature.

Iron_lord and Force Smuggler like this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Okay, could have worded that better. Some things are probably better off not being known and we won't solve every single mystery out there but let's go for it anyway!
    Anakin/Vader surviving just sounds like something that would be fun to discuss. Why not discuss it?
    If we have to wait for the Creator to give his opinion to discuss it, then...............................

3. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    I don't think it matters what Lucas thinks the other characters feel, since it wasn't something he was really thinking about. What mattered was what Obi-wan, Yoda and Luke take away from Anakin's sacrifice and his own personal redemption. That is shown in the final moments of ROTJ, first with Vader's death, then with the funeral and finally the Force ghosts. Lucas was more concerned about whether or not he should have Anakin return to the land of the living, complete and whole, or whether or not he should be a ghost.

4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    If Anakin lived then I think he would have helped Luke with the new jedi order.

5. Palpatine's P.A.

Palpatine's P.A. Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 9, 2014
    It's a really interesting question and I have always wondered, but I think ultimately that he HAD to die and he actually wanted to in the end. Others have been right in what they've said that he would be used for his knowledge of the Empire then put on trial. Can't imagine the death penalty being a thing for the Rebels, even for Vader, so I think a Yoda-style self -imposed exile would the most likely scenario, visited only by Luke and given time, maybe the rest of his family who would have learned from him about the force.

Also, I'd assume they would have made him a better and less imposing looking life support suit and he'd spend the rest of his life in quiet contemplation. Even though it would be in his nature to try and attone for his crimes, I think he'd realise that there was no way he could really do so.

6. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    He would have been put on trial and found guilty of his crimes as a mass murderer of millions (co-conspiritor or not legally). Luke would have helped him escape and he becomes a fugitive. Sounds like a good TV series.

7. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I have often wondered this myself… I feel that Anakin would indeed help Luke rebuild the Jedi order. But, I think that with all of the things that will have to come to light then about the truth of what happened to the Jedi, and the emergence of the Empire, (as well as Darth Vader's part in it,) it would take quite some time for the galaxy as a whole to come to terms with it and accept him as a Jedi once again. That is if they accept him at all, Considering what he has done…

I'm sure much of the galaxy would be unwilling to forgive him, and seek retaliation/punishment against him because of his horrific crimes and the part he has played in the rule of evil over the last two decades. I'd Imagine only the Jedi order would be willing to forgive him… For obvious reasons…

he might be able to obtain some sort of sanctuary within the New Jedi order, but it would be a long hard road ahead for him, in order to redeem himself in the eyes of the galaxy… In fact outside of the Jedi order, i'm not so sure that would ever really be able to happen.

thedarkbeckons likes this.
  8. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    [​IMG]

Palpatine's P.A. likes this.
  9. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    You have chosen...wisely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Darth Cyn

Darth Cyn Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 8, 2014
    Realistically? He'd probably be tried by the rebellion and executed for his crimes. One good act doesn't scrub away millions of evil ones, not in the eyes of the law.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    True - but "Being a defector" can often result in some level of immunity.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  12. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Actually, in the eyes of the law, someone who is a traitor is often forgiven for his past indiscretions by his "new country." It kind of helps encourage people to betray their former lands. They have also historically been generously rewarded in some instances.

Vader could easily argue "hey hey.... I killed the Emperor.... I'm on your side, fellas! Let's let bygones be bygones!"

13. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Maybe, although I seriously doubt they'd let Alderaan (one small part on a list of many atrocities) slide so easily.

14. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    "whoa whoa whoa hey wait! I didn't give the order! I tried to talk him out of it! You can even ask Leia, she was there and can vouch for me!"

15. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    He would be the one in charge of the Empire.............

16. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Eh, no, Tarkin was the one responsible for Alderaan. Vader just stood there and watched.

17. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014

18. Darth Cyn

Apr 8, 2014
    Which makes him an accessory, considering he'd have killed anyone that would have tried to stop it.

19. WindowsX

WindowsX Jedi Youngling

Apr 12, 2014
    If Vader had switched sides at that point in the war, he would have been a useful ally, since the war wasn't over yet. After the war, I would think that he would be exiled away on some far off planet.

Like Tatooine, maybe? Haha.

Iron_lord likes this.
  20. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    He would've attended the Ewok party along with Luke only to turn back to the Dark side when Yub Nub drove him crazy.

21. Palpatine's P.A.

Mar 9, 2014
    Slightly different question, but do people even believe Luke's version of events? Or do they just think he's gone mad suddenly marching in and saying, Oh by the way, turns out Darth Vader was my father and he sacrificed himself to save me and kill the emperor. Maybe people just think they both died in the explosion and Luke got lucky and escaped somehow, or was never even there to begin with.

I suppose this question will be answered in Ep7.

22. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Why would Luke lie about his father being Darth Vader? What would he have to gain? Why would they think he didn't go to the Death Star?

23. Palpatine's P.A.

Mar 9, 2014
    1. Not necessarily gain, but in the same way a mad person might want to claim they're a descendant of Jesus or something. I admit, a little far fetched.
    2. Not the Rebels but others/general people in the galaxy might not just accept that's what happened. They might just think he's some kid that wants a bit of glory and is using that story to give himself power as head of a new Jedi order. Is Luke Skywalker known outside of the Rebel Alliance to the normal citizen as a hero?

I'm not saying any of this is likely, just speculating for the sake of it.

24. darth-sinister

Jun 28, 2001
    Luke would be known which is why Vader was seeking him out. He just blew up the Death Star and is the last of the Jedi. There's no way that the Alliance didn't leak that out.

25. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

I think this is likely the course Vader would take, because his return could seriously endanger Luke. If Luke lands in that shuttle and brings out Vader with a "He's fine, he's our friend now!" speech, the Rebels would be put in a terrible position. No one else can know for sure what happened on that Death Star. Did Vader turn good, or did Luke turn evil? Do they dare take the chance that Luke can still be trusted? Might be best to nuke the site from orbit. I think Vader would stay behind, not only for his own sake, but to help clear Luke.

TaradosGon likes this.