main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Cafe Diem Baby: The Nintendo Wii U Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 14, 2011.

1. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    Is it just me or does it feel like Nintendo is putting all their eggs in the Smash Bros basket? I like the game and all, but I don't want to fight; I want to adventure. And no, I don't want Smash Bros adventure, I want storyline.

I'm starving for a fun, good game, Nintendo! Feed me!

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think so exactly- they're definitely counting on it (combined with Mario Kart) being the system seller the Wii U needs this year, but that's for good reason given how well Melee, Brawl and any Mario Kart sold. So the increased install base will certainly be good for getting more 3rd party titles.

However, we don't really know much about what the back half of this year is going to hold- we assume Hyrule Warriors and X will be out by years end by that's about all we've heard so far. Nintendo is clearly going to be waiting until E3 (or a Nintendo Direct around E3) to make some announcements for the back half of the year.

And, lacking that part of the picture, it's easy to see Smash and Kart as the only focuses right now.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  3. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    For those that came in late….

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, either way Smash will be a really, really big deal for Nintendo. I've seen speculation about whether the Wii U version will make it before the end of 2014, and I really hope they do make it in time for the Christmas rush. Not sure how they will, unless things are far enough along for them to be confident about a deadline, or they'll keep pouring resources in to make sure they're in time.

I'm slightly disappointed that the Pokemon Trainer is gone, but Charizard and Mega-Charizard look really cool. Look like they're specializing the characters more this time, as the transformation characters (Zelda, Samus and I guess the Pokemon Trainer sort of count) have been split off into separate characters. Funny seeing a Twilight Princess-style Zelda using a phantom from... Spirit Tracks, I think? Unless those things showed up elsewhere, I haven't had time to play through that many Zelda games unfortunately. And oh, Mega Man's Final Smash looks awesome (YES! Cameos of every Mega Man and no Zero! That's using the Mega Man franchise properly! :D ) Greninja also looks really cool, in retrospect I'm not surprised they added in a ninja Pokemon.

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  5. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    With these announcements, the roster is now sitting on 29 characters. I was surprised about them splitting Samus/Zero Suit Samus and Zelda/Sheik but since they have done Link/Toon(young) Link and Mario/Dr Mario in the past then I guess it makes sense. Though some be upset as they are taking spots that could go to other characters on the roster.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That Mega Man final smash had me grinning massively. :D

And that Phantom of Zelda's would be from Phantom Hourglass.

I also have a feeling that bombchus will be creating a lot of run-away "ohcrapohcrapohcrapohcrap" moments. [face_laugh]

I also look forward to unleashing the Mother Brain as often as possible. And I will quote Little Shop of Horrors every time I do it.

The power-up pre-fight match thing sounds very cool too. And I love the stage boss idea, look forward to seeing more of those.

The For Fun/For Glory breakdown is also pretty cool- finally, those Final Destinationers can shut up!

There's obviously going to be some characters still to go (I think it's safe to say clones like Roy and Wolf are a lock- and we haven't seen Falcon* or Ganon yet) so we'll probably end up with 35-40 characters.

And a PokeBrawl between old school Pikachu/Charizard and new-school Lucario/Greninja are to be common, me thinks.

Isn't Lucario a ninja Pokemon? Ninja fights! Throw in Sheik while you're at it (if only we could get Ryu!).

EDIT- Also, lest we not forget the "It's not Pong" Color TV-Game 15 assist trophy.

*yet we saw Samurai Goroh as an assist trophy!

7. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I had to laugh when I saw the For Fun/For Glory feature. For fun all the way!

Does look like Ridley might be making some appearance on that Other M based level. It suggests that he would be interacting too. I wonder what others might make an appearance.

So far no Earthbound characters have been mentioned but probably change as more announcements happen. Same with F-Zero.
    The current roster so far:
    1. Bowser - Mushroom Kingdom
    2. Charizard - Pokemon
    3. Diddy Kong - DK
    4. Donkey Kong - DK
    5. Fox McCloud - StarFox
    6. Greninja - Pokemon
    7. King Dedede - Dreamland
    8. Kirby - Dreamland
    9. Link - Legend of Zelda
    10. Little Mac - Punch Out
    11. Lucario - Pokemon
    12. Luigi - Mushroom Kingdom
    13. Mario - Mushroom Kingdom
    14. Marth - Fire Emblem
    15. Mega Man - Mega Man
    16. Olimar - Pikmin
    17. Peach - Mushroom Kingdom
    18. Pikachu - Pokemon
    19. Pit - Kid Icarus
    20. Rosalina - Mushroom Kingdom
    21. Samus Aran - Metroid
    22. Sheik - Legend of Zelda
    23. Sonic - Sonic
    24. Toon Link - Legend of Zelda
    25. Villager - Animal Crossing
    26. Wii Fit Trainers - Wii Fit
    27. Yoshi - Mushroom Kingdom
    28. Zelda - Legend of Zelda
    29. Zero Suit Samus - Metroid

8. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    When I read Winter 2014 for Smash Bros Wii U, I turned to my friend and said February 2015.

9. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Kinda like DKC:TF? Anything is possible but still not sure how their end of year line up is planned. Hope we get some insight into X too

10. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    And heeeeeeeere's the money shot:
    [​IMG]
    Nintendoes what Capcan't.
    But in all seriousness, I was hyped before, but the newest Direct just pushed it to new heights. As one who will be focusing on the 3DS version specifically, the announcement of it coming out earlier is nothing but great news to me.

Rew, Nobody145 and The2ndQuest like this.
  11. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    Right. I'm not complaining, but it would be classic Nintendo. They definitely appear to live by Shigeru Miyamoto famous words, "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

Also, I wonder if they had Masahiro Sakurai in this Nintendo Direct, not only because he's the director of Smash Bros specifically, but because Satoru Iwata may be on his way out.

12. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So apparently a new 3D Mario gas been confirmed to be in the works- though platform hadn't been announced, a Wii U game taking better advantage of the GamePad was suggested.

Mario Kart 8 also has removed the ability to store weapons on top of active weapons (so no green shell shield and collecting another weapon to use afterwards).

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    A new 3D Mario on Wii U would be great, especially if it will be taking a better advantage of the Gamepad… I love for them to do something in the vein of Super Mario Sunshine… something where you can explore every nook and cranny without a time limit plus I love the atmosphere in that game.

Also, Nintendo has filed for a trademark on a codename: S.T.E.A.M: Strike Team Eliminating the Alien Menace.
    I wonder if it is connected to Project H.A.M.M.E.R. or to the Wonderful 101 or something completely new.

14. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
  15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watch out, Tron! Clu is going to betray you and take over all of the N.T.I. ships on Pandora! ;)

16. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Certainly looks that way :p

Also sounds like Watch_Dogs Wii U edition will be coming out in 4th Quarter this year.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
  18. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    I want another Mario Galaxy game.

Rew and Corellian_Outrider like this.
  19. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Galaxy was great, Galaxy 2 was even better (maybe because of Yoshi done properly) but I missed some of the charm of Rosalina's story room, The Observatory and such.

If they could bring some of those elements back for the new one or take what they have learnt and apply it to more of a Sunshine setting… that be awesome. Free roaming with Yoshi that doesn't disappear in water!

Rew and The2ndQuest like this.
  20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's basically everything I want in a Mario game.

21. TiniTinyTony

Mar 9, 2003
    So, I've renewed my relationship with "Super Mario 3D World". Once I got past level Star-2 and unlocked Rosalina, the game became more enjoyable and surprisingly there is a lot more game left to play. #spinmove #doublejump

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    The more I see Child of Light, the more I want to get it.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Yay, another release date made known…

This time for a racer coming out November whose style would be the opposite of Mario Kart 8… Project CARS

24. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Nintendo recently had a concert... Big Band style :cool:

Someone was kind enough to post it up on YT, not sure how long it be there but it is definitely worth listening to.
    Here's the playlist
    Part 1 - Mario
    Part 2 - Donkey Kong and Zelda
    Part 3 - Kirby and Animal Crossing
    Part 4 - Pokemon
    Part 5 - Smash Brothers

Enjoy :)

Rew likes this.
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    10th June = E3 2014

Nintendo's E3 page has been updated in preparation for it.

So far they have announced:
    • Treehouse - Live at E3
      • In-depth look of new games and demonstrations
    • Super Smash Bros. Invitationals
      • First ever Nintendo-sponsered Smash Bros. Tournament
    • Super Smash Bros. Smash-Fest
      • Play Wii U edition of Smash Bros. at certain Best Buy locations
    • Digital Event
      • Special video presentation to kick things off to reveal and give further information about upcoming experiences for Nintendo platform. Airs 9am 10th June PT.
    Is it too early to start our E3 predictions?