main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Star Wars #16: Rebel Girl, part 2 (of 4)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

Brian Wood (W), Stéphane Créty (P), Julien Hugonnard-Bert (I), Gabe Eltaeb (C), and Sean Cooke (Cover)
    On sale April 9
    FC, 32 pages
    $2.99
    Ongoing
    Establishing the new Rebel base on Arrochar, Wedge Antilles teaches the local pilots Rogue Squadron’s secret tactics, Luke Skywalker joins the Arrocharian militia on a “routine” mission, and Princess Leia balances her duty to the Rebellion with her upcoming duties as a royal wife. So why is everyone so uneasy?
    • Writer Brian Wood gets to the heart of Star Wars!

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Seriously, Sean Cooke is starting to be the only good thing about this series. :p

That cover is just beautiful. Why is there a random ****ing mountain in the background? BECAUSE ART!

3. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    That is an amazing piece of cover art.

4. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Hm, this sounds like another random issue (Rogue Squadron secret tactics? What is that supposed to mean, a manual titled "How to dodge?" or waggle their wings?), but another Sean Cooke cover, especially one with an X-wing and Y-wings, is hard to resist. I'll probably pick this up, mainly because it'll be one of the last few Star Wars issues DH will ever make.

5. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Can't wait to see what doesn't happen in this issue.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    It is great to see Y-wings getting some love. The cover by semicooke is awesome and I can only hope that what is on the cover occurs in the book. I was totally bummed in the final battle of the last arc where only the Stealth Squadron pilots saw action, as Sean's cover showed various X-wings and Y-wing swooping and diving to defend the Rebel Fleet.

--Adm. Nick

AdmiralWesJanson and Jedi Ben like this.
  7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    (my emphasis)

Awww no. So glad I bailed!

8. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Now that's a cover.

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Beautiful cover. Between this and these photos that were getting linked around the other day, it's nice to see the Y-Wing getting some love.

I'm kinda dismayed to see that this base thing might actually turn out to be a real thing- it being some kind of ploy by Leia would have made it's off-camera introduction/resolution to ongoing plot threads justifiable.

10. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004

[​IMG]

cdgodin and AdmiralWesJanson like this.
  11. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

Shouldn't Tycho be showing up around now? I thought he was working his way towards them after they let Yavin. Have we ever seen the bit where he officially joins, because I almost made a joke about Rogue Squadron's secret tactic is to put Tycho in a mock battle, but if would be interesting for his to show up. I'm sure they have more than enough stuff going on, but it would have been interesting, and I know he shows up soon after Yavin.

12. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Nice Imperial drone hauler design and there are Z-95er, other then that, some nice local outfits... and there are space goats ! ;)

13. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Any shots of the Rebel Fleet? [face_batting]

--Adm. Nick

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004

[​IMG][​IMG]

Nobody145 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  15. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Dude, I see an Assault Frigate Mk.1 and Mk.2, as well as a wingless Mon Cal cruiser. Plus a bunch of various, non-Gallofree designs. I like it! :cool:

--Adm. Nick

kataja likes this.
  16. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Yep seeing a classic Assault Frigate also surprised me.

17. Protectorate

Protectorate Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 11, 2013
    As much as I dislike this storyline, I gotta admit: best issue so far. Lots of set up for a betrayal by the Arrocharans without completely telegraphing the reasoning behind it. Luke realistically challenged by a unique landscape. Callbacks to lots of classic ships like the Z-95 and the drone hauler. Surprisingly enjoyable.

The characterization of Leia as a "tomboy" has always been fairly fluid, so I'm not entirely against her characterization in this comic as some sort of down-in-the-trenches grease monkey. However, I find myself gravitating more towards her identity as a trained diplomat that perhaps treats her status with disdain, and not "A Princess Who Doesn't Act as a Princess! *GASP!*" The Leia in "http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Empire:_Princess..._Warrior]Princess...Warrior[/url]" and more recently in "Agent of the Empire" is more my cup of tea. Although she doesn't particularly embrace her royal status, she doesn't ignore it either, and doesn't seem to have a problem maintaining appearances for the court and other various higher-ups.

I only bring this up, because I'm afraid this storyline might degenerate into some clumsy "class warfare" analogy where Leia's inability to see herself as better than the "little people" will be one of the reasons that Arrochar turns on the Rebellion. I feel like this storyline where it is suddenly revealed that the people they are negotiating with are the REAL oppressors has never been done particulaly well in Star Wars stories, and I don't see it changing with this story. (See: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars_88:_Figurehead][/url]Star Wars 88: Figurehead as an example.)

I think the Rangers that are paired with Luke have a point when they push for fighting the Empire on their own terms without interference from the Rebellion. Misguided though it may be, I think that viewpoint is interesting and worth exploring. Unfortunately, as the cover to the next issue reveals, and as seen by their talk of "The Average Arrochar, they are a different sort of people", the Rangers are going to betray Luke, invalidating their viewpoint as the traitorous enemies of the righteous Rebellion. Obviously this can be read different ways, and I hope I'm wrong, but based on the track record of this comic so far...

Jedifirefly5 and Gorefiend like this.
  18. CptSteam

CptSteam Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 14, 2014
    I really enjoyed this issue, and I think part of it has to do with the variety in settings and stories. It felt like there was a lot going on.

I still miss D'Anda's art, but this isn't the worst of the series, and the soldier's armor designs were pretty cool.

Also, as much as I love the cover, it seemed to have nothing to do with the issue...

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

19. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004
    This issue wasn't bad, but then I remember that we're now into the final four issues and...it's just spinning the wheels, isn't it? What actually happened in this issue? I was impressed by the side story with Luke, even if it felt like it should have been set up in the previous issue, but the implication that the Rangers turn on him means the set-up is kinda "meh", unless like this issue the cover has nothing to do with the contents.

Speaking of which, it seems like the cover is showing the proposed training flight that Wedge advocates but Leia shuts down, so I wonder if that was in the script at some point.

People's faces are less jarring, but it that major domo dude gets any more moo hoo ha ha level of villain it'll just be totally ridiculous.

As someone who was extremely excited about Wood taking on this title, both this title and the complete collapse of momentum in his X-Men book make me wonder what happened to him.

I'll stick with the book just to see it to the end, but this has just been marking time, imho.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I don't see a wingless Mon Cal cruiser, I see a Mon Cal frigate/light cruiser though. Maybe an MC-40?
    There is also a Consular-class in the last frame, an IPV series ship behind the AF mark 1, and possibly a (vertically squished) Dreadnaught above the corvette in the first frame.

21. cdgodin

cdgodin Jedi Master star 4

Oct 9, 2009
    I will be really disappointed if the "evil looking general" turns out to be bad. It just goes into bad Saturday morning cartoon territory.

22. patchworkz7

Mar 26, 2004

I'm pretty sure that unless there's a MASSIVE swerve coming that the general will be evil and this will all be some sort of plot ala Lando's plan to free Cloud City by promising the Empire the rebels.

However, I will admit that the probe droid showing up is interesting. You'd think the Empire would already know what was going on.

OTOH, it seems like the prince was a lot nicer last issue. Leia says he must be listening to others, but there's just not enough set-up for any of this to really work.

Obviously, something derails the wedding, but at least Luke isn't coming off as unhinged as he did last issue.

23. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Sooo... despite following on the awful COPL retread plot from the previous issue... I'm shocked to find I genuinely liked this issue. The barge bit was a neat mystery, there were some clever details for why people were doing what they were doing, Luke's side journey was interesting (as was the contrast to Tatooine) and even the new base/hide-the-fleet scenario feels fresh (despite being totally familiar) since we're not used to the Rebels actually settling down in a major way between Yavin and Hoth, so there's a rare vulnerability at play (I wish the inevitable betrayal subplot wasn't present so we could explore that dynamic more thoroughly). Even the art didn't feel as weird as it has been in the past.

The only minor quip, besides the inevitable betrayal to be suddenly cursed, is Leia's grease monkey portrayal here- she's been shown to have some basic mechanical skills but I don't think we've ever been given the suggestion she would know the ins and outs of maintaining a starfighter. It's not impossible (the knowledge could have been picked up alongside her pilot training) but it felt out of place- to the point where, combined with the odd character renderings of the series, I wasn't certain it was Leia until the end of the scene when she was referred to by name/title.

24. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Same here. I was flipping through it in the store and I was like, "Hey, who's that?" And then I was like "Is that Leia? Nah." And then I was like "Oh. It was."

The2ndQuest likes this.
  25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Choices of One does have Leia calibrating starship missiles, at least.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.