main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    If Luke Junior will go on a holiday to see where his dad grew up and on a Star Tours trip I will forgive Lucas for the pod race and beg him to bring that back instead.

GrandMasterKatarn and Revanfan1 like this.
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Technically the DVD release did that by changing the Vader/Emperor hologram conversation, and since that scene is the springboard for all of Xizor's actions...

I'm not sure about unbelievable, but it would depend on how it was handled. An injured Chewbacca somehow unable to reconnect back to the larger galaxy of events for a very long time and having to deal with what it truly means to have a life debt before finally returning home could actually be the defining Chewbacca story, if properly executed.

3. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    Actually, even if they throw out everything post-ROTJ, we only lose about 22% of the EU. If they keep the NR-era then we only lose ~10%.

Revanfan1 and CooperTFN like this.
  4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    How about the EU stays in place up to the end of the NJO with the retcon that Jacen/Jania/Anakin/Ben weren't actually Luke/Leia's kids, Chewie managed to survive the moon and came back pre Ep7, and Luke got a divorce at the end? Just need half a page reprint of the last NJO book with this tacked on:

LEIA: "Sorry, Jania and Jacen, you were our 'starter training kids', now our real kids are grown up so gotta make time with them."
    LUKE: "And, Mara, babe, it isn't working out. You can handle that baby, right?"
    JANIA: "Huh?"
    HAN: "Chewie, show them the door, please."
    JACEN: "But..but.but...!"
    LEIA: "Thanks for all your service to the fledgling New Republic! Really! Now, about those rings around the planet..."

Revanfan1 likes this.
  5. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    I can deal with that. Anything to keep the NJO canonical.

But Mara has to break up with Luke. I mean, Luke breaking up with Mara kind of strains believability......

JediMatteus likes this.
  6. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Well, if Luke has a different wife in Ep. 7 and a twenty-something son then in a shocking twist it's revealed that Luke was actually a polygamist all along (which is one of those New Jedi Order things he made up on his own, thank you very much!). Mara found out. First line Ep. 7 wifey has to Luke is, "Honey, that black eye is clearing up nicely-" "Let's not talk about it, dear."

Revanfan1 likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    [​IMG]

You just pitched me your next article.

The2ndQuest and Revanfan1 like this.
  8. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    That actually is a really cool story that I now wish we'd had years ago even without the ST to preempt it.

9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    If they A) Actually do try to write a story to reconcile Chewbacca's return with the pre-2015 EU, and B) Have the mayor of Sernpidal play a key role in saving Chewbacca's life on Sernpidal, then Abrams can do whatever he likes with Episode VII, the Disney buyout will have been worth it for that alone.

10. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    No-no-no! :_|

*Rereads post*

Seriously, if it comes down to that then I don't think it's worth it. The emotional impact of a lot of stuff that happened would be reduced drastically. (And yes, I know you're probably kidding.)

Edit: I'd be fine with the Chewie retcon. It'd be pushing believability but I'd live with it. Especially with a Mayor of Sernpidal tie-in. But the rest of it, the divorce and the "fake kids" thing...no-no-no! :_|

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Luke wouldn't divorce Mara. She'd beat the hell out of him while calling him "Farmboy" with every punch.

I actually hope Han and Leia's kids stay as they are, up through The Unifying Force.

As far as Chewie, it would hardly be the first time that a character has survived ridiculously impossible circumstances.

Starkeiller likes this.
  12. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For me, Luke shouldn't have married Mara to begin with.

Nor do I overly much care for how the next generation or even the 'elders' are done in NJO. I'd be totally cool with Chewie alive the moon business is rather dumb.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Understatement of the EU.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Out of curiosity, AFS, why do you agree with me on this point and is there anyone you would pair Luke with?

15. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I can't stand Mara Jade. I think it's stupid of Luke to marry a woman who once wanted to kill him, I don't think she treats him very well most of the time, and she's a drama queen. I think the Enemy Lines books and The Unifying Force are the only books in which I found her the least bit likeable.

And no, I don't have anyone in mind. I think character pairings are overrated anyway and there's nothing wrong with Luke being single. That said, if Disney pairs him with someone, I'll judge the character and pairing on its own merits.

Cushing's Admirer likes this.
  16. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I'm joking but the thing I'm driving at is, if there's different kids in the ST for Han & Leia and/or Luke (if he even has one, probably will, generational saga and all that. But Luke's offspring will probably be late teens / early 20s and not Toddler Ben age for the time period), then the solutions boil down to A) insane retcon time B) never mention the pre ST post ROTJ EU ever again.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  17. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    AFS: =D= Thank you. In this I agree with you wholly. Well said.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  18. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Oooh, found this in another thread. Big props to Jedsithor for winning the retcon no prize! Someone forward this post to Leeland Chee, STAT!

19. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    I, personally, think people see Mara as more abusive than she is. Really she's just playful with him; none of what she says is actually ever backed up with action–she never beats him up, or shoots him, or anything. Sure, she has an abrasive attitude, and Luke takes it. Honestly, that's probably how I'd be with a wife like that, because I'm a very non-confrontational person (like Luke) so if she were being snarky with me like that I'd probably just smile, nod, and move on. Actually, my brother treats me almost exactly like Mara treats Luke, and I've never had a problem with it. I just, shrug it off because that's his personality, and mine is to not be bothered by it. As to the "Farmboy" line, I find it endearing, personally. He was a Farmboy, after all, and it was a subtle callback to the beginning of their relationship, when she says something to the effect of "even a dumb farmboy wouldn't have fallen for that" and he said "hey, I take offense to that." So she started calling him Farmboy. It's like when it said in some book something about Han or Leia saying something about "discussing it in a committee" and Luke never really understanding–it was unique to their relationship, a factor from before they were married that kind of stuck around as an in-joke.

20. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I've never liked Mara. Personally, I wish she didn't exist at all. And who said those don't like her it's solely because she's abusive? I simply don't like her manner.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Well, no one said solely because she's abusive, I'm just saying she's not really abusive, just abrasive. There's a difference, although just barely. And what is it about her manner you don't like, I'm just curious?

22. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  23. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    She looks pretty, I'm down!

24. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    I like Mara. I have since I read the Thrawn Trilogy. She was an enigma, a headstrong, brusque mercenary with an Imperial past, angry at the galaxy and Luke Skywalker for robbing her of her life. Circumstances force her to team with the same man she hates, and, well, that's what they call that. But as I've grown up and read more of the EU, I've realized that she's never gotten a better portrayal than that initial one. Pretty much every book she's been in since, chronologically before or after, has been inferior. And I've narrowed the reason down to two factors.

First: she loses her mystery factor without gaining anything to take its place. When Mara debuted, she was the Emperor's Hand, something we'd never seen before. Ever since, she's been explained, her past, her work, her life, her feelings, all of it expanded ad nauseum. But she's never really been fleshed out in any way to make up for that loss. She's largely the same character she started as, just a lot less angry. And that's made her boring. I read through the NJO recently, and I noted in every review how lackluster her portrayal was there by and large. If anything, her pregnancy was the low point of her portrayal in the EU writ large.

And that's the second problem: the authors have no idea how to handle her. Not even Tim Zahn. A snarky, capable female spy is a terrific character template (Black Widow exists for a reason, as do Mockingbird, Peggy Carter, Maria Hill, etc), but that's almost never what she is. She's been a smuggler, a Jedi, a mercenary, pretty much everything in the galaxy except bounty hunting, and nothing's stuck. And then she married Luke.

I've heard it that having Luke and Mara marry was Zahn's idea for them from the moment they were introduced. If that were true, you'd think there would have been more of a plan for them than there wound up being. And if Zahn had a plan, he sure didn't share it with anyone. Because Luke and Mara's marriage, while it might look fine on paper depending on how you like the character, backfired. It wound up stagnating both characters in their "playful flirty" stage of a relationship and it never advanced from there, not in any way that wasn't reversed in the next book in line. Luke suffered, but at least he still had other relationships and stories to advance him, especially with his Jedi students. Mara had no one. She became Luke's satellite, never leaving his side except in rare circumstances, almost all of her character revolving around either him or "Hey, I worked for the Emperor once."

Out of all of the EU created characters, Mara's unique. She lasted a very long time, and is easily the best known pure EU character in existence (aside from maybe Thrawn). Friends of mine who have never read a Star Wars book in their life still know who she is through fandom osmosis, word of her spreading through the grapevine. But it's always in relation to the movie characters that everyone's placed on a pedestal. "Hey, did you know Luke got married to this red haired Imperial chick?" "Where?" "In the books. They've got a kid, too." She stopped being a character in her own right and became Luke Skywalker's wife, which is a role that damaged her character a lot. It might have been salvageable, except that the portrayals of her as such have been very much wanting for depth. I can think of maybe two or three quality scenes for her in the entire NJO that don't involve Luke or, later on, her obsession with baby Ben. Imagine if Leia and Han's relationship worked the way Mara and Luke's does. Would anyone have tolerated it? Of course not.

And then, the crowning moment, is her getting effectively 'fridged in LotF so her nephew can turn to the dark side, which somehow gets carried off without her husband immediately beating the snot-nosed little punk down.

So, yes, I like Mara, in concept. It's the execution that I don't like. I've tried writing 'fics with Mara in them in the past, she's a tricky character to get right, to strike a balance between being snarky and angry and still having some sort of internal goodness that might eventually turn her toward the light. I just have a hard time believing that paid, professional authors couldn't get that right on a consistent basis, or work out some sort of arc for her than didn't revolve around Luke.

*Sigh.* Who knows, and, really, at this point, who really cares? If Mara is going to appear in anything upcoming, my money's on her cameoing in Rebels at some point, a la Delta Squad in TCW. But aside from that, we might not ever see another story with Mara in it. At least not for several years, until Del Rey et al know what in Corellia's Hells is going on with the post-RotJ era.

25. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    Nice post but I can't disagree more.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.