main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Planets in the ST

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by darthfettus2015, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

The Hollywood Reporter is as credible as you can get with things like this. They only report something when it's pretty much a fact.

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Ok. Still when it comes to JJ & his films determining facts can be a tricky business. He even likes to leak "facts" that are false to throw people off the trail.

3. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012

I very much doubt JJ or anyone involved in the film would do that to THR. Latino Review or any of the other rumor sites, sure, but the trades are the ones movie studios leak info to when they want people to know.

4. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He's done it in the past, so I don't know why we should doubt it now. Clearly his goal & preference is for the public to know as little as possible about his movies.

5. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    Why is it so hard to believe they are returning to Tatooine? Anything is possible.

As far as the cave, I was talking about the picture that was posted, which was a scene filmed with Luke constructing and igniting his lightsaber, then putting it in R2-D2 with C3PO standing outside.

As far as Ben's home/cave, I would love to see that extension on film. I like revisiting a set, you thought you knew, but is open further in another film.

I do hope we see Tatooine again, I'd love to see Luke looking for something at Ben's home and visit Mos Eisley Cantina. Luke in the same role as Obi-wan, and protecting his nephew.

6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    It's not hard to believe. Just not prepared to take unofficial media reports as fact.

Over 30+ years, Ben's hut would've been raided & trashed by Sandpeople or other unsavory locals.

plaidphoenix likes this.
  7. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I don't mind seeing Tatooine again (it's my favourite planet in all saga), but i hope they give a good reason in the plot for them to come back and not just coming back for the sake of nostalgia.

At least show us a living kryat dragon, now that would be cool :)

Lurknomore likes this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I can't think of a good reason, but hopefully the writers have.

9. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    Now that would be a good reason to go back. About the only one I can think of.

10. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    I don't think there will be any planets, just stars...maybe a quasar.

11. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Tattoine again? I'll wait and see to judge but why do we need to go back there? Every time I see the movies it is the most boring part (except for maybe Ep 6). I also don't count the Darth Maul duel in E1 as they were in the act of leaving the planet.

12. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That Maul "duel" went for about 5 seconds. I wouldn't count it anyway.

Not a fan of the ANH Tatooine scenes? Binary sunset scene, Luke & Ben scenes, Mos Eisley. These were boring?

13. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Not a huge fan. Didn't hate it either. I liked some stuff though. Sunset is OK, but the rest is whatever. Harrison Ford's performance was the main thing I liked about Tattoine in Episode IV, and that isn't dependent on the setting/planet.

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Surprised that the Ben & Luke conversations didn't do it for you. Then again I see you rate ANH as your 2nd least favorite, behind even TPM. Fair enough, each to their own.

15. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I wouldn't call it my second least favorite, more like my 5th favorite :p It's not that I dislike ANH, I love it! I just like the other 4 I have listed better. The first 5 on my list are all in my Top 20 movies of all time. :cool:

EDIT: Oh and to be clear, they were good convos. But they really could have taken place on any planet and had the same effect.

Darth_Downunder and Darth PJ like this.
  16. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think this relates back to our other conversation Downunder. ANH is my fave Star Wars film (always will be), but not everyone is going to agree with me... and I totally understand that many scenes seem plodding to a 'younger' audience. There's a lot of people out there (mainly younger) who automatically gravitate more to the PT because they are more contemporary and it's what they saw first. I don't hold it against them or find their preferences incredulous. Things move on...

Darkslayer and Dra--- like this.
  17. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Individual preferences are never up for debate. Our other conversation was about general critical reception. Two different things.

18. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Critical reception, our perception of it, and our own appraisals are bound up in the same preconceptions and bias. "Not a fan of the ANH Tatooine scenes? Binary sunset scene, Luke & Ben scenes, Mos Eisley. These were boring?". Now I don't disagree with you that, IMHO, these are some of the best scenes... but by phrasing the questions in that way (Shock! Surprise! Incredulity!) you're automatically trying to postion your views as reflecting a 'norm' that's clearly not the norm for others.

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I would be surprised if a SW fan didn't find value in these scenes. This surprise is warranted bcs most fans do like these scenes. It was a valid question bcs if you look above you'll see that Darkslayer responded & clarified by saying he liked the Ben & Luke conversations & only excluded them bcs they weren't dependent on Tatooine as a setting.

In any case, there are tools for measuring the average of critical reviews as we thrashed out in another thread. Hard data is available, so perception shouldn't come into it. These two issues are completely different.

Darkslayer likes this.
  20. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    And that's my point... there's lots of SW fans that don't hold ANH in the same regard as you and me. It doesn't mean they are wrong. As for the hard data, I agree, it's already been demonstrated the the PT was hugely popular and, in the main, well recieved.

Dra--- likes this.
  21. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    PJ you have a habit of interpreting my posts incorrectly & then criticising them over elements that weren't even present in the first place. You don't need to tell me that "it doesn't mean people are wrong" for having their own opinion. You should be able to read above that I asked that question in a respectful way. I also said "each to their own". I'd be willing to guess that Darkslayer didn't take it as criticism of his opinion.

The data shows that Eps 1 & 2 were critically received as just above average. If that constitutes "well received" to you then fair enough.

Darkslayer likes this.
  22. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Your signature says it all really, but each to their own.

Tatooine is my favourite planet, and in real life seeing the actual locations and physical sets in the flesh has only emphasised my love for it.

23. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    The Jawas probably converted it into a brothel.

24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    More Tatooine, huh? Doesn't surprise me, if true. GL probably values its archetypal qualities and including it, especially as the origin for the main hero for all three movies, would create a nice connective structure and symmetry.

Immortiss and Mystery Roach like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I just wanted something exotic for the first location for VII.