main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deckiller

Deckiller Jedi Padawan

Apr 9, 2014
    I've been playing around with some ideas my head. I didn't really get back "into" Star Wars until last month, when I picked up NJO, LOTF, and FOTJ more or less simultaneously. I hadn't really been into Star Wars since Revenge of the Sith came out (though I read most of the Bantam-era books around that time).

Legacy of the Force and Fate of the Jedi are polarizing among fans, and for good reason. Both of them have some really compelling stuff once you get over the initial thoughts of "ANOTHER civil war? Admiral Daala as a head of state? Jysella Horn being written like she's 12? The 'Unit'? Allana being left alone with Goldenrod and a droid with a long history of going AWOL?". There are some serious duds, and Troy Denning doesn't really do closure or show consequences as well as he could (e.g. Anakin Solo, Jacen/Jaina, Jaina's fun media fiasco in Abyss that has absolutely no consequence, etc.)

But overall? I really like the direction they took the series. It fits with the times we live in.

Some things I really liked about Christie Golden's contributions to the EU were Kesh, the Lost Tribe of the Sith, and Vestara. In particular, Vestara is a great character (with a disappointing final arc) and it would be cool to see a Jedi-Sith romance play out on the screen. She would ultimately have to be redeemed at the end.

Including a world like Kesh would give us a great chance to see a world not unlike our own. Imagine a Star Wars world where the technology is about on par with ours, but still alien and unique. Great potential there from a visual perspective.

The imagery of Jacen and Jaina squaring off would great, but I think having another character fall to the dark side could be a little tired for the films. They would have to put a twist on it. What if Jacen or a Jacen-like character was part of a sting operation, running deep cover despite dark side temptations to destroy the Lost Tribe of the Sith? Jaina could be the one exiled instead of Luke, and she would not be aware of this sting operation and senses his dark presence and goes looking for him. Jacen ends up becoming possessed, though he never really "falls", but he still needs Jaina to save him. Might be an interesting way to do it.

The backdrop of civil war and a New Jedi Order under scrutiny would both make sense. A new government will go through growing pains, and Luke's not going to be able to create the New Jedi Order in the same image as the old one. These first Jedi will be imperfect, attached: they've been forged by war and are all too old to be completely celibate and stoic.

I like the idea of someone like Pellaeon running the New Republic: an honorable ex-Imperial. A good man in a sea of evil. It would help bridge the gap between Episode 6 and 7, and show that the Empire was only really evil due to people like Tarkin and Palpatine (and the latter's control over his subjects through terror and the Force).

Ultimately I think the sequel trilogy needs to be darker, and the blurred line between good and evil needs to be blurry until the final film, when we realize that, ultimately, morality in Star Wars has and will always be rigid: the confusion, the shades of grey, are part of the journey, but the destination will always be good or evil. This is more or less what they've been doing with the EU since Traitor, for better or for worse, since Vergere etc were retconned. I think the real world is more complex than that, but Star Wars is Star Wars.

A quick aside: I really hope Abrams doesn't film these movies like Lucas did the prequels. Please make conversations dynamic, and please have the cameras move a little bit. Have Matthew Stover look over the script. Kthanks!

2. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Since the movies are based on George's idea, and he;s been talking to JJ everyday according to his son Jett.
    If you want to see what the tone, and feel of what the ST will be like, Look at the PT, TCW, Rebels which is based on his ideas, and the OT.

If you want to know how the ST will treat the EU look at TCW, and the PT, and what they took from the Old EU

The ST is the vision of Gepoorge Lucas, the EU was the vision of sue Rostoni, Shelley Shapiro, and editors from Bantam Dark Horse, and Del Rey.

The future EU will be the vision of the LFL Story Group.

Ryus likes this.
  3. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Needs to be darker than what? As for blurred lines and shades of grey, that is what the prequel trilogy was all about. You aren't really asking for something that they have not already done.

Ryus, ChildOfWinds and newdawn12 like this.
  4. Deckiller

Deckiller Jedi Padawan

Apr 9, 2014
    Darker than TPM at the very least. And I'm not quite sure I agree about the PT. In all honesty, I found myself empathizing more with Imperials than I did with droids and Neimodians. The Separatists are unlikable, and it didn't help that the Trade Federation was on their side. Dooku had potential and the ROTS novelization taps into it somewhat, but they did not do a good job with making him seem "grey" in AOTC. I'd love to see this sort of thing handled well in the sequels.

I would argue that the blurred line is handled better in the OT than the PT. Han Solo certainly seems a little off at first, and so does Lando. We empathize with some of the Imperials, especially in ESB. We get none of that in the PT. In the end it's about good vs. evil, but I like having to guess about certain characters and empathize with others along the way.

Ryus and The Hellhammer like this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    True that. Many Imperials didn't give off the "evil" vibe - just guys fighting on the other side of the war. With the exception of Dooku, all the Separatists were cartoonishly evil.

Ryus and Deckiller like this.
  6. Deckiller

Deckiller Jedi Padawan

Apr 9, 2014
    At the same time, many do, so that's why I really like the OT. We know the Empire has to fall, but we're given just enough of a glimpse on those people as everyday normal guys that the OT manages to make us care for enemies more than the PT ever did.

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A good example would be Needa. The guy's on screen for just a few moments, actively tries to capture the heroes so Vader could tear them limb from limb... yet I felt sorry for the guy when he got killed. Seemed like a rather nice fella.
    Found no one like that among the PT antagonists.

Iron_lord, Ryus and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    That's a good addition to the long list of PT problems (IMO)

The Hellhammer likes this.
  9. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Pardon if this has been clarified before, but are the movie novelizations (including the OT) considered canon as much as the films since they are based off the script/screenplay?

10. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Everything's up in the air as far as canon is concerned since they've introduced the new system in Jan. As far as I know however the novelizations should be considered canon where they aren't contradicted & don't differ from the final movie.

11. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    In other words, all of the EU is canon. Except for the parts which aren't.

Obviously there will be very little difference between a movie and a novel based on a movie, especially for the prequels. However there are a few significant differences that did get ignored. For example, in the ROTJ novelization (as well as in the original screenplay), Obi-Wan tells Luke that Owen was his brother. Obviously, that got thrown out the window.

12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I thought we weren't allowed to discuss canon right now?

13. SomethinSomethinDarkSide

SomethinSomethinDarkSide Jedi Grand Master star 3

Jan 19, 2013
    This. I'm hoping that the antagonists will be interesting and relatable (don't have faith in Abrams here). If they have Sith then I would like them to explore the Dark/light side duality more than before. Let it not be so black and white. Would love to see a Jedi and a Sith working together towards a common goal.

14. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Jedi Merk is right. Wither you are fans of the books, movies, cartoons, games or whatever. We are all Star Wars fans. So going forward I will refrain from any (Canon/Non Canon) talk cause we are all one big Star Wars family. With that said, I am happy Chewie is alive cause he will always be one of my favorite characters.

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yes, regardless of the outcome, a vast majority of us will be happy and satisfied.

16. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    what do you think odds are of them pulling a "Winter Soldier" and having a political thriller disguised as a star wars movie?

17. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I thought we were in this thread.

The only thing more confusing than keeping track of Star Wars canon is keeping track of where we are allowed to discuss Star Wars canon. :D

Depends on what you mean by "political thriller". I think E1 is pretty much the threshold we will see for politics in any given Star Wars movie.

18. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Besides wondering if an innocent comment we make will blow up into a canon argument you mean. [face_tee_hee];)

19. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm going to blow this thread up with a cannon.

The Revanchist likes this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Stand by Ion control, fire.

*pew, pew pew*

(Intercom voice) the first transport is away, the first transpost is away(/intercom voice)

*cheers*

Random extra 1: where we shooting at the eu or the haters

Random extra 2: *shrugs*

TKT and BigAl6ft6 like this.
  21. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Ok I was watching NerdAlert on youtubeand they said Disney has appointed someone name Lee with a group called holocron keeper to go through all EU and pick and choose what will be cannon going forward.

22. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    ok sorry for double post and could not re-edit but after looking more into the holocron keeper who is Leland Chee who worked with GL to make sense of all things canon. Sorry if this was brought up before I did do a search and found nothing on this.

23. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Holocron sounds like a Halloween candy.

Ryus likes this.
  24. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Too bad only Jedi (according to TCW) can unwrap it... No wonder why the republic fell, the Jedi missed all the warning signs of diabetes caused by their special candy.

25. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Just dropping this link to the Canon policy in here again. Looks like there may be some new questions related to the latest on official continuity, what's acceptable to discuss and where, etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.