main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Offspring of Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Apr 9, 2014.

1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Somewhat old rumour that's getting bounced around again is that there is a part in the film for someone, possibly female, who would be the offspring of Obi-Wan Kenobi - either a daughter or granddaughter. What do y'all think about that?

Me, aside from the instant fanboy "Ahhh! Change!" knee-jerk reaction, dwelling on it could open up interesting possibilities. To go back to TCW, Obi-Wan did have a thing for The Ladies. He seems human in that regard. But never so far as to attachment against the Jedi Code and all that, although he seemed to get really close. But Jedi are "encouraged" to love. Now, if this offspring was conceived and born during the PT, I think that would fall flat against how the character was portrayed in the PT.

However, I think the isolation years for Obi-Wan could have some potential there. He's basically in self-imposed punishment exile, waiting for Luke to grow up, dwelling on all the years on his mistakes. Maybe he finds a moment of happiness, immediately regrets it, but he has a kid anyway. There's the drama right there. Soapy relationship twists are not out of the realm of genres that get mashed into Star Wars movies.

Y'know what would be a great place to explore this idea further? A Ewan McGreggor Obi-Wan Kenobi Tatooine spin off! Some tragic love interest. Sort of a Western. Bring back Joel Edgerton! Not as the tragic love interest but as Owen, I mean. But, y'know, if Obi-Wan has a kid or grandkid that shows up in Episode 7, damn skippy there's gonna be a flick to cover all that!

Also, if this is a direct daughter descendant of Obi-Wan, I would assume the only time they could have been conceived would be, like, five minutes before they blasted off Tatooine. So granddaughter seems likely.

And if Obi-Wan had a kid, and Luke finds out, it could be an "out" to the whole "Jedi aren't supposed to be married" thingie that would seem to go against the Jedi Code established in the PT, which, in turn, would grant Luke a way to have a heroic offspring of his own. Who would be the lead in Ep. 7?

So, crazy, good idea, bad idea, or totally on the money and we'll be waiting in 2015 to see what Kenobi's offspring will be like?

2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Crazy idea, but not necessarily a bad one. At least it's no more or less a crazy idea then other theories floating around out there in the ether. That being said, if it happens, I'd prefer to see a grandchild, mostly so Luke can mentor them like Obi-Wan mentored Luke. Also, while I think Luke knows Obi-Wan was human with all the weaknesses and frailties that come with being human, it would help Luke be a better Jedi to have a walking, living, breathing reminder of those weaknesses and frailties existing in someone he has such respect and affection for.

On a side note, one of my pet theories is what if Tarkin had a grandchild that became a Jedi? Unlikely, but an interesting twist.

3. Lurknomore

Lurknomore Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 18, 2014
    I'm not a fan of the idea. It would, IMO, feel like a cheap attempt to keep everyone related.

A Solo child makes narrative sense to me, since ROTJ ended with Han and Leia as a couple. A Kenobi child makes zero sense to me, as Obi-Wan Kenobi, by all indications in the previous 6 films, was separated from his family at a young age and lived like a monk.

4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    I could buy that he knocked up a Sandwoman. There would have been plenty of long lonely nights beyond the Dune Sea.

5. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    Obi-Wan's post "Sith" existence is a fairly blank slate aside from "sat on Tatooine for about 2 decades". A lot about a person's worldview, or even small moments of breaking his own personal code beholden to a long dead Jedi order, can change in 2 decades.

I'm fairly sure there will be a Solo child in the movie. And a Skywalker kid. Sources say that the person up for the role that the possible Kenobi Offspring is not a main one. But if it's a generational saga, there's room for more than just one offspring in there.

Also? Potential for romantic interest with the Kenobi (grandkid) offspring with direct Solo or Skywalker offspring! The casting description leaked forever ago said there were two female teen/twenty-something roles. Solo daughter / Kenobi granddaughter / Skywalker son / unrelated third party? (Doesn't quite equal a trio, though, does it, as mentioned in a press release)

Maybe a Jawa? They do work in trade, after all.

plaidphoenix and Mystery Roach like this.
  6. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Overall I think it's an awful fan-fictionesque idea. Too many children & grandchildren of existing characters & it will seem like a bad soap opera reunion special.

7. BigAl6ft6

Nov 12, 2012
    I think it boils down to how it's executed, really. I don't think having offspring for each of the big characters in the OT (Luke, Leia/Han, Kenobi) be the heroes in the ST is really outside of the Star Wars Saga's thematic wheelhouse. Family has been a huge aspect of the series all the way back to Luke wondering about his father back in ANH.

8. Palpatine2016

Palpatine2016 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2012
    Yeah. I don't think the idea is good at all, but if they execute it properly I won't complain.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I don't think you can lump Kenobi in with Luke, Leia & Han. This is a guy who has appeared in all 6 movies & we haven't had a hint of him having children. He led a monastic life as a Jedi & was probably the most dedicated Jedi we've seen. He continually lectured others (Qui-Gon, Anakin) about sticking to the code & rules of the Jedi order. He then moved to Tatooine & lived seemingly in exile until we see him die in Ep4. Yes it's possible to contrive a scenario where he had a kid somewhere along the line, but it's a terrible idea IMO.

I think this is just a baseless rumor designed to send fans into a debate about something that won't happen. Someone's having a good laugh about this being taken seriously.

TheManFromMortis and DarthBreezy like this.
  10. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013
    Hate the idea. Unnecessary. Stupid approach trying to retroactively rewrite a characters backstory. Overly complicates and sets up more questions that don't need answering.

Also, makes the galaxy even smaller than it needs to be.

11. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    Who first floated this rumor?

12. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

I wanna say Hollywood Reporter. But I remember that article being sketchy(so it easily could be misinformation). I am going to stick to my guns and say its a misinterpretation of info(or at least I hope it is).

dolphin likes this.
  13. Granger

Granger Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    If Darth Vader is Luke's father, Leia is Luke's twin sister, Anakin built C3PO and little kid Boba Fett met Obi Wan before the Clone Wars then I'm not going to be too surprised if Obi Wan has some offspring somewhere. Do I think he should? As others have said, that's going to be a matter of execution.

Episode Swag likes this.
  14. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Your post perfectly illustrates why it shouldn't happen.

Dewback likes this.
  15. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    I think a Skywalker son and a Solo girl are pretty much a given. However, we know there is a third lead in the movie and that a black male is going to be cast. The Kenobi-related girl could be a second tier character, and be the other female you mention.

What can't be denied right now is that they are after a black male and a mixed race female.

16. MillionthVoice

MillionthVoice Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Obi-Wan to Luke in ANH:
    "I was once a Jedi knight, same as your father"
    So he is not a Jedi anymore. What does he mean? Why doesn't he say "I'm one of the few Jedi still alive"
    Obviously he considers himself a fallen Jedi for some reason.
    (Not that I agree at all with another shrinking of the galaxy)

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I don't understand why Sky/Solo kids are widely accepted but an Obi-Wan granddaughter is completely out of the question. If the galaxy feels too small, it wouldn't hurt to ax Luke's wife and child. There's room for a Kenobi granddaughter if they don't go overboard with recurring characters.

Why do we need to see the droids again? A mystery to me.

InterestingLurker and Dra--- like this.
  18. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I would LOVE for there to be a Kenobi bloodline.

19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013
    Well, we may as well introduce Steven/Shelia Skywalker. Long lost relatives from Anakin Skywalker's extramarital affair with Yaddle.

Why not? Works for me.

TheManFromMortis likes this.
  20. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

There's always fan-fiction bro.

Gerdschroder likes this.
  21. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    I don't know, I think Obi-Wan's story is mostly complete (and is a great one). I'm assuming that said offspring would have been conceived during his time on Tatooine between the PT and the OT. If we want to explore Obi-Wan's life during that period of time, great, I'm all for it. But that story should be more about his work to protect Luke than him falling in love (or not) and having some kids. It doesn't fit with the character.

That being said, given all of Obi-Wan's maybe purposeful misguidings of Luke (Vader killed your father, yada yada yada) would it be that much of a surprise if he had another secret he had been keeping? I guess not, though this particular backstory still just doesn't feel right. If Abrams and company play it off really well, I could potentially buy it. But for now, color me unsold.

Dra--- likes this.
  22. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I don't buy that they are casting "obi-wan's grand daughter". I think that some serious blue harvest stuff right there.

Supposing she is, I would wait and see, it could be pulled off.

But I think it's much more likely that she's anyone else... Liea and Lando's daughter even

23. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    The problem I have with this, and I’m totally open to the notion of creating ‘new stories’ that go off on a tangent for spin off films, is that it requires quite a bit of backfilling to explain. It certainly raises several questions in terms of internal logic:-

1) Why did Obi-Wan break the Jedi code given he was portrayed as being the epitome of a Jedi Knight/Master?

2) Why didn’t he ever tell Luke?

3) Why didn’t his offspring get involved in the events of the OT?

That’s not to say that these can’t be written around.... the answers could be:-

1) Love? Boredom? He wanted to keep his Jedi bloodline alive?

2) Not pertinent? He felt embarrassed? Like Anakin, he never knew about his kids (that would be a turn up)?

3) Obi-Wan’s children (at the time of ANH) may have been themselves children? Perhaps they were hidden too?

I think this would all be fine if a film was allowed to explore this, but one assumes that these plot strands wouldn’t make up the driving force of Ep VII... but would be handled only by exposition... which makes me question the benefit of working in such a character in the first place. Saying that, I do recognise that since the PT, Obi-Wan Kenobi has become a much bigger SW protagonist that they want to fit him back in somehow. A child of Obi-Wan is the second best thing I suppose.

Dra--- likes this.
  24. obi_kenobi_24

obi_kenobi_24 Force Ghost star 4

Aug 17, 2003
    This stuff again.....

As others of said this starts to make the galaxy too small.....

Anakin and Luke are essentially his family baggage....his character doesn't need anymore

I'm for an obi wan solo film though.....but I want them to tackle issues like obi wan maybe feeling guilty about not being able to help people because it might endanger his mission/promise to protect Luke......how much will he let go before he feels compelled to step into whatever troubling situation they cook up for him in the film

MODified: Merged 2 back to back posts because double posting is awful.

25. Oberst Hans Landa

Oberst Hans Landa Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 12, 2014