main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V The Force Awakens and the EU [TAGGED spoilers.]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by TypoCelchu, Oct 30, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    You seem to say that a lot around here. Care to elaborate?

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm allowed not to agree with majority perceptions, Sir.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  3. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
    Indeed. As I said, though, it's a moot point, since we don't even know if a character as well-known as Mara will still be around in the new era.

4. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    For you, perhaps.

5. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    So is this it? I feel content at having perhaps salvaged just about everything pre-OT... but does the party end here? Is our continuity now truly done for? Is this the end, my friends?

6. Cynical_Ben

Aug 12, 2013
  7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
  8. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
  9. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    I always thought it would have been natural for Mara, Winter, and Mirax to be friends and have adventures together, since they have similar backgrounds and skillsets. I think Dark Tide hinted at this also, at least Mara and Mirax having worked together in the past? In any case, I think it's a missed opportunity. But then again I can't believe that Winter was basically just reduced to being Admiral Ackbar's hospice nurse.

Kylun and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  10. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

That rumor about Kenobi having kids with someone has been going around for months now. Wouldn't make too much of it. It probably originated on the Star Wars 7 news site.

11. darkchrono

darkchrono Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005

Pre OT is safe for now likely because it will just be many many years before they decide to delve into that time period (if they ever do). I think the best EU fans can hope for in regards to post ROTJ EU is what TCW did.

12. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You just nailed why I think she is abusive. And a lot of people use "But I'm just playing!" as an excuse after the fact for giving other people ****.

As I have told my kids, it's fine to joke around with a person as long as that person genuinely thinks it's funny and will joke back. If the person is either taking it due to being "non confrontational" or worse, gets upset, it's no longer a joke.

I'm abrasive too but I don't talk to people I love the way Mara talks to Luke. And I would not expect a man with any self-respect to take it. I have a hard time respecting any characters who won't respect themselves, which is why I don't like Luke all that much outside of ROTJ.

(Note: this is not a comment on you and your brother. Sibling relationships are different especially depending on age, you didn't give detail for me to comment on and it's none of my business anyway.)

13. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

i disagree. Love their marriage

TheRedBlade likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    I see your point. But speaking as a non-confrontational person, like Luke, I don't see it as a lack of self-respect. I respect myself just as much as the next guy (and I'm sure Luke does too), the only reason I am that way is because I've never really minded it as long as it is truly playful. If he (or Mara) were to seriously beat me (Luke) up, then it'd be a problem. But out of all the times my brother's playfully swatted me on the arm or grabbed my chair from behind and pretended to pull it down, I know it's just his way of showing affection and humor, and I really don't mind. Because when he pushes me into confrontational territory, where I want him to stop, that means he's gone too far and it's time to stop. I very rarely get to that point. And apparently, Luke doesn't either.

I think, as long as both people know there are limits and don't test those limits, then things will be fine. Like with Luke and Mara, she's sarcastic and abrasive but she never pushes it so far that Luke gets mad. I think, ironically, it would be too much if Luke actually did get mad. I think Luke not shooting back at her is his way of tolerating and accepting her attitude. If he got mad, then she would be actually abusing. That's my personal opinion, anyways.

My brother and I have a very interesting relationship in that we are as close as you've ever seen a pair of siblings–where one of us is, usually the other is too, and we're almost always talking, even if we're doing something else. We've shared a room most of our lives and even in the house we live in, which has enough rooms for us to have our own rooms, we chose to continue sharing a room, simply because that's how close our relationship is.

In private, however, is usually when he's snarky and abrasive, even though I know he's playing. For instance, one time he came into the room while I was on the computer and grabbed me, pulled me out of the chair, and started growling like a dog and biting my shirt. I didn't take it, of course, I playfully fought back, but after a minute he let me go and let me returned to my chair. One time while I was on the computer I looked down and realized he had my entire elbow shoved in his mouth. He's a very, very weird person in private, but in public he's a very smooth, Lando Calrissian-esque guy. Very proper unless amongst other teenagers, where he feels comfortable goofing off, but behaving properly around adults. It's just a really weird relationship we have, and it's never bothered me because he...well, usually...knows when to back off. (And he's two years younger than me, BTW, I'm 18 and he's 16.) Luke I said. Weird kid. :p

15. dylan24601

dylan24601 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 3, 2004
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...th-maul-game-you-39-ll-never-get-to-play.aspx

More info on the cancelled Darth Maul game. Posting it in this thread because the material is recent enough to possibly indicate G.L.'s mindset regarding EU & continuity.

[​IMG]
    There's Darth Talon hanging out with TCW era characters, including a living Savage.

[​IMG]
    Here's one of several apparent Darth Krayt redesigns.

[​IMG]
    Here's an officer of the 'New Empire.' What the heck era was this game supposed to occupy?

16. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    What the living kark? I think this game could've been the most confusing thing I've ever seen. :confused:

17. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    You, my good friend, have clearly never played Battlefront: Elite Squadron. :p

This is certainly... very kooky. No idea what their ideas were... either it's some non-continuity mash of random stuff that wasn't design to make sense, or they wanted to make the Shadow Collective its own full blown Sith Order or something...

Love some of the other artwork though. Totally wacky as some of the characters look, they are pretty cool.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  18. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    The odd thing is, if this is supposed to be Maul after the Shadow Collective incident, then why in the world are Vizsla and Savage on the cover?

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, if it was anything like Elite Squadron, it could have been going to span decades/centuries, as Elite Squadron starts out in the Clone Wars, then your clone becomes a Jedi, then he survives Order 66, then he steals the Death Star plans with Kota, then he survives Endor, then he battles his evil clone brother during the New Republic, it was... pretty much the biggest mash up of ridiculous ideas put together that you could imagine.

So if this was going to be anything like that, then we might have seen Maul's rebirth, the Shadow Collective, Maul fighting Vader, Maul frozen in carbonite on Bespin, Maul woken up a century later by Darth Talon, Maul made to work for the reborn Krayt, Maul killing Darth Nihl, and Maul fighting Cade Skywalker... it'd have been no less stupid to Elite Squadron, making it quite possible. :p

Starkeiller, WMIRTUTSF and Revanfan1 like this.
  20. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The new empire officer looks a lot like Ralph Fiennes.

Goth-looking Sith is so last-decade (I hope I doesn't get revisited further)

Gameplay footage

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...rth-maul-game-you-will-never-get-to-play.aspx

Apparently it was just concept with no story. So they just grabbed cool-looking stuff and shoved it in, worry about continuity later, if at all.

Looks like Force Unleashed, ft. a Darth Maul suit.

spicer and Revanfan1 like this.
  21. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    It looks like it would've been fun to play, but yeah, it probably would've been the non-canon to beat all non-canon games. I mean, the first thing you see is Maul taking on five Pre Vizslas with darksabers. Five.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  22. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Clearly this would have revealed the origin of Darth Krayt's Sith army to have been created from the mass cloning of former Sith Lords.

Darth Wyyrlok I, II and III? A family? Lies. That was flash memory imprints. They were clones.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  23. Revanfan1

Jun 3, 2013
    Must've been something wonky with the cloning tubes, because Wyyrlok II was a she.

24. Clone_Cmdr_Wedge

Clone_Cmdr_Wedge Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2006
    Am I the only one that looks at that image of Darth Krayt and wonder what he's doing on the Iron Throne? :p

25. Corax78

Corax78 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2008

Actually the Kenobi offspring rumor originated on The Hollywood Reporter.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.