main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    It actually would probably be easy to recover- one would imagine a large, shiny chunk of very rare metal would be something they could track down given they'd know roughly where over the river it fell and how it likely sank.

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    "It's completely vibration resistant"... so, it hit the water and skipped to shore.

3. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    This movie isn't as amazing as folks have made it out to be, but it's quite good, and definitely deserves commendation for having three female characters who aren't just eye candy or love interests. The plot wasn't anything amazing, but it played out well enough. Action scenes were excellent, and I definitely want to see Anthony Mackie as the Falcon again.

pronker and Sarge like this.
  4. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    Isn't this the first Marvel movie without a romance shoehorned into it?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Avengers didn't have a romance subplot (just Pepper/Stark scene).

6. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    Well...Coulson really liked Cap a LOT.

7. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    It's a bit odd that Joe Simon and Jack Kirby are the only credited creators, yet it's Stan Lee making a cameo (although a Simon or Kirby cameo would be pretty odd considering they're dead). If the idea is he's made such contributions to the character (which is totally up for debate), then maybe we should've had a bigger/better Brubaker cameo than the whiff of screen time his technician gets. At this point it's just like lip service to Stan Lee, who doesn't need (and in many cases shouldn't get) the credit, but whatever. At least he's not Bob Kane.

The Abed cameo is actually more distracting than anything else. :p

Also, seriously, **** you, Sitwell. For such a nondescript character in his other appearances, they succeeded in making me dislike the guy immensely.

Aside from that, have to say I really enjoyed how they captured the odd medley of stale beer spy thrillers and superheroics. This feels like the great Brubaker/Epting run on Cap, albeit far more cheerful. I just wish we had more time with Bucky as a character, and got to see a bit more of him breaking free from the brainwashing.

Oh, yeah, one more thing, I actually really enjoyed Black Widow in this movie! All my issues are therefore with Joss Whedon. :p

Sarge and Darth_Invidious like this.
  8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    It's patently ridiculous to suggest this movie is some kind of heir to the great political thrillers of the 70s. It's a 70s style spy thriller in exactly the same sense Moonraker was. Yes, there's a mystery to be solved, but it's one so puerile and absurd that finding out the truth just makes us all feel embarrassed for having been interested.

Trip likes this.
  9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Jabba, we know you hate the genre. We also know this movie isn't high art. But really, at this point it sounds like you and another Jabba are indeed joined at the hip in terms of trolling.

Sarge likes this.
  10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Just respond to the critique and leave your opinions about my state of mind out of it. If all you want out of this thread is naive, wide-eyed gushing, then you've posted it in the wrong forum. The stuff about praising this movie for being a "70s style political thriller" is particularly irksome, because it sounds like people have been cribbing their posts directly from the movie's own press materials. Just because the movie's marketing tells you that's what this movie is doesn't make it so.

11. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Critique is fine, but when you constantly show up in nearly every sci-fi/comic book thread, constantly bashing, each and every film in the genre, it feels like you're akin to those who leave flames on a fanfic. That your only watching these flims just so you can show up in a thread to run them down.

Sarge likes this.
  12. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The only part you got right is that "critique is fine."

13. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Will you concede that there were other factors to The Dark Knight's success then beyond Heath Ledger's death?

14. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    lol. For the record though, comic book movies aren't legitimate sci fi. I'm a lifelong sci fi fan, although I'm insightful enough about the genre to know just how awful most of it is.

15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Well if you think the genre is so awful why watch the movies/comment in these threads at all then?

For the record, I don't like most things horror (With some exceptions, like The Walking Dead), but I don't go around into horror threads bashing the genre.

16. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I would welcome your input, if you know anything about the series. Ignorant bashing is trolling. Critique from a high level of knowledge is helping. I'm here to help.

17. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Jabbawocky2, I did say already that the film isn't high art. It's plot is a bit flimsy and perhaps a little out of left field. But what is the point of debating this with you when you yourself have admitted you hate the genre - thus depriving you of objectivity - and constantly do what Juliet and others accuse you of? You really are in the wrong forum, a Star Wars forum of all places.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I know that attacking people with non majority viewpoints is a common tactic to silence dissent, but I encourage you not to do it. My interest in comic book movies is 1) my youngest son has aged into the genre, and so now wants to see all these movies and 2) they've completely hijacked Hollywood, crowding out other films that admittedly might not have been any better, but it's tedious.

I managed not to see Thor 2, so as you may notice have never commented on it. Any movie that I can reasonably avoid I'll have nothing to say about. That has always been the case, and will continue to be the case. I know you're exaggerating for dramatic effect. But stop it. Any time you want to get back to discussing Captain America, I'm ready.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    how do you not avoid a movie ? were you dragged in ?

darth-sinister likes this.
  20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    In this case yes. But I'm not bitter about it. As you can see.

I've never seen Agents of SHIELD by way of another example, and would never dream of commenting on it.

21. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    which comic-book movies do you like ?

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He probably likes Batman and Robin.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Road to Perdition is probably my favorite.

But back to Captain America, I was going to note that I agree about Scarlett Johannson. One of the better aspects of the movie is how Black Widow is much less sexualized than she was in Iron Man 2, is integral to the plot, and seems like an actual human being. I think the "witty" dating banter between her and Captain America fell completely flat, but I appreciated the effort to make her a pivotal character in the film.

24. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    that's a good thing ??

25. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    To people who view women as more than sex objects, yes.

Moviefan2k4 and Juliet316 like this.