main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel nostalgia. Yes, it's a real thing.

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by squir1y, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I wasn't exactly alive when the OT came out, so it's kind of impossible for me to be nostalgic for those. The Prequels on the other hand were some of my favorite movies when I was a kid. I don't really care whether or not they're objectively worse than the Originals, I just like them better.

2. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    They just have a magic about them. I was born in '71, and never felt the magic of the OT could be recaptured, but then the Prequels came. TPM was fairly bristling with that elusive Star Wars vibe.

3. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

This +1000

Born in 67 and felt the same way. TPM had an amazing OT vibe, but what I appreciated most was how George opened up the story and tied the PT even more closely to classic mythology. Also I appreciated the multiple storylines, the political subterfuge and plot threads which were weaved between the three films... frankly it was a much more mature story than the simplicity of the OT's storytelling (which I think may be part of the disconnect some people feel). By the time we get to the final 45 minutes of ROTS we are in full blown battle of the gods/Richard Wagner mode. Simply amazing.

For my kids the PT is their Star Wars, and as the years went by I began to appreciate even more what George was doing watching the films with them, and then later the Clone Wars. Frankly I find myself returning to the PT and TCW more and more, and spending less time in the OT. Don't get me wrong, I still love the adventures of Han, Luke and Leia; they were the stories I grew up with in my youth. I just find the PT to be a more rich experience.

Yancy

4. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    I haven't read most of this thread, but I do want to quote this:

Bolding is mine for emphasis, because I agree 100%. To me, The Phantom Menace is an incredibly mediocre film. So much about it was wrong. It had negative consequences for the entire prequel trilogy, from which it never recovered. It turned Star Wars into something childish, which I differentiate from family friendly (which the OT generally was). However, I can't bring myself to really, truly dislike it. That's unlike Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, which I really dislike, but The Phantom Menace was my first Star Wars film and it's what got me into the saga. I appreciate it even when I know it's not that good, and that's because of nostalgia.

sharkymcshark likes this.
  5. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Thats impressive.....most impressive. I saw Return of the Jedi first, and it was the only one I had seen prior to seeing The Phantom Menace. I saw the Phantom Menace 3 times in theaters & it actually reminded me of how I felt about Never Ending Story. The Phantom Menace felt like a magical movie. I didnt go in expecting much, I was 19 at the time. I didnt go in ready to compare it to anything. Even though I had seen Return of the Jedi as a kid in the 80s, when I saw episode 1 the only connection I saw was Obi wan Kenobi. Kenobi was a ghost in return of the jedi & a young man in the phantom menace. I think what I liked most about The Phantom Menace was the scenary, the music, the feel of Naboo. Seeing Jabba the Hutt at the Go Kart race in the desert. I watch the movie for what it was, a fairy tale movie with sci fi touches. I wanted to know how this Anakin kid related to the Luke Skywalker from episode 6. So thats what made me a fan. I weird to see the older guys over analyze it though, because after seeing them all together. Episode 4 & 6 are really not all that greater or worst than episode 1. Fans are just bias as heck man. This is the main reason I wont be seeing the disney movies, because im not going to let my love for the 6 turn into hate for the Disney 3. The new fans that enjoy the Disney starwars, dont need to hear all that negativity. I appreciate the fans who see episodes 1-6 as one story, instead of the my trilogy was better than your arguments.

6. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I saw the original Star Wars film in a theater when I was seven years old back in 1977. It was not until recently that I experienced the same feeling of nostalgia while watching TPM that I feel whenever I watch the OT. The feeling of nostalgia is for much different reasons, since I was at very different times of my life for both trilogies. However, PT nostalgia does in fact exist, even for us OT fans. Great discussion Squir1y.

7. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Agree 100%. I will always look on TPM in particular quite fondly as it was the first Star Wars theatrical experience I had with my girls (my oldest saw ANH SE in 97 when she was 3... didn't really count). Both were completely in love with TPM... my oldest dressed as Amidala that Halloween and my youngest went as Jar Jar. Lots of great memories from 99. I'll also remember standing in line with my youngest for ROTS for the midnight screening (We let her skip school the following day) at the Cine Capri. Just a ton of great memories.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yancy

whostheBossk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  8. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    The PT is is just as nostalgic as the OT for me.

I was 26 in 1999. That year I left the church I had grown up in and moved from the big city to the country. Living alone in a tiny cottage in the woods I watched a bootleg VHS of TPM, then a VCD (remember those??) then the widescreen DVD and finally the DVD over & over again. It was very quiet and I was really alone for the first time in my life. I found TPM very therapeutic for some reason, it took me away from my many problems to a deep fantasy world that was comforting to me.

When AOTC came out I saw it twice in one day with a very close, late friend. Every time I watch it I am back in that beautiful day with my friend who is no longer with me. We saw ROTS together too. Before he died he gave me his SW PT trading card collection.

The rumors, the magazines (I have a SW magazine collection that is about 300 magazines, going back to 1993!), the books & comics & soundtracks, the online flame-wars, sharing the new movies with all the kids in my family; all good memories.

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I've still got my Insiders from the early 2000s along with a few other magazines about AOTC, including a TV Guide with a holographic Yoda on the cover.

10. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    Here are a couple of pics from the Phantom menace 3-D release. Pretty packed with 501th and Rebel Legion in attendance:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Great time, and as usual, Harkins Theaters pulled out all the stops.

Yancy

11. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Any Chicagoans who waited in line at McClurg Court still around? Where we were infamously heckled by Mancow.

12. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998
    One of the things I'm going to miss is camping out... there's simply no way with a packed Holiday schedule that I'll be able to stand in line for a handful of hours for Episode VII. My Christmas is usually pretty packed.

Yancy

13. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    I saw TPM at the Ziegfeld Theatre in New York City on opening night. It was one of the greatest movie experiences of my life.

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    AotC began a transmuting journey I am still on.

sarlaccsaurs-rex and JoshieHewls like this.
  15. My young Padawan

Sep 13, 1999
    I always preferred AOTC to TPM, but the whole nostalgia thing really has me a bit conflicted these days.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  16. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    @ My young Padawan: Everyone has different aspects speak to them and reasons for liking what they like. In spite of how some may act differences in taste and perception do not automatically equal fault or wrong. What causes your conflict?

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Is it okay for me to shout out a "Happy Birthday!" to Hayden Christensen? He recently turned 33 years old.

18. Big_Benn_Klingon

Big_Benn_Klingon Jedi Master star 3

Nov 14, 2013
    You are not alone my gen-x brother! I feel the same.

Andy Wylde, EternalHero and FRAGWAGON like this.
  19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    who else is going to watch TPM on it's 15th anniversary?

EternalHero likes this.
  20. Loupgarou

Loupgarou Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 19, 2010
    My first experiences of Star Wars came on VHS (and first theatrically from the Special Edition theatrical releases), but I still have PT nostalgia. I remember getting an episode 1 Lego set before the movie came out, and putting the battle droid heads on backwards. My family was vegetarian, but we went and got fries from fast food places to get the pod racer toys that came with, ha. I also remember my parents being really disappointed with the film, though I really liked it back then.

My elementary school actually had an after school field trip to see AOTC, so even though I really don't see much good in that movie now I have fond memories of playing Jedi in the park right after with classmates (everyone wanted to be Mace Windu).

I was so hyped for ROTS (even posted about it on these forums under another username I don't remember), that I was really disappointed and it was really the first time I'd been disappointed in a movie I was looking forward to. But hey, that's still a milestone, and it was less the movie Itself and more my own impossible expectations.

21. Gallandro

Jul 8, 1998

You can add me to that club as well. While there will always be a nostalgic place in my heart for the OT, I simply find the PT to be more engaging.

Yancy

Big_Benn_Klingon and EternalHero like this.
  22. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I was introduced in 2004, with Ep 4 on DVD, and then 5,6,1,2 and then waited for ep 3. . . I really enjoyed the OT and didn't mind the PT either, I felt a bit lost when watching from 6 to 1. . but after a re-watch I got it. I like JarJar and Qui-gon and all of it. . .It kinda bugs me a little that TPM got so bashed because it wasn't the OT. I felt that because when all the people that really wanted the new movie, had grown up on the OT went 'Oh its so childish or poop jokes' and so on. . .but I wonder, where these same people not children when the OT came out? Star Wars is a Kids thing!. . .well it was anyway. . .

Qui-gon is my favorite character. . .Ever. . .Like he is AWESOME. I re-watched the movie in the cinema in 3D and wondered how I fell in love with Qui-gon, but following all this adventures beyond the movie and now even in The Clone Wars its soooo cool!

Andy Wylde and FRAGWAGON like this.
  23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    He does own a fine distillery company.

[​IMG]

24. markdeez

markdeez Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2005
    I get prequel nostalgia every weekend, and I get my fix when I watch ROTS :)

25. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    Miss watching these movies as a kid and a teen I remember having a clone wars birthday party and getting the yellow ship along with a big blue light saber and anakin,obi-won & count dooku figures.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

whostheBossk likes this.