main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Road to Perdition is indeed great as is A History of Violence. You do have good taste Jabbadabbado.

2. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I view them as more than sex objects , but I'm not afraid of them being sexy and beautiful either .

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Jabba's welcome to his opinion, folks- at the very least it provides an opportunity to reanalyze aspects of the film while trying to proving him wrong ;).

To be fair, that wasn't really from the press materials until much more recently. That was how people were classifying it's look and style from advanced previews and trailers- it just seemed to catch on with the actual marketing to the point where they included that description in recent weeks (I think that Assembling a Universe TV special a few weeks ago was the first one to overtly use it, AFAIK).

But they don't have to be sex objects first to be more. They can be treated as regular characters important to the story in ways independent of their body. If they're just running around trying to look sexy and badass (or doing so first and foremost before any actual character development), they might as well be a Bond girl or in a Synder film.

4. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    they can be all sorts of things .
    but making them less sexy / sexualized won't necessarily make them more 3 dimensional anyway .

Jenny Agutter seemed to manage it plenty . speaking of which -

I loved the moment she kicked everyone's ass , and I kinda wish they hadn't then pulled the rug, I have no trouble believing our Jen could do that

pronker and Sarge like this.
  5. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I concur, both are excellent movies.

6. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Among other things, it seems you don't understand what "sexualized" means. Hint: It's not saying that they get to look attractive.

7. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    amongst things you don't understand is that I didn't use the word attractive , and yes I do know what sexualized means .

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    And making them more sexy/sexualized generally doesn't make them more 3 dimensional either.

9. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005

For the record, I wasn't suggesting it is the heir apparent, just that it captured the feeling of the comics that aped that style and added in superheroes.

10. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    At least they're not video game characters.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  11. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    never said it did .

12. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Something funny that I noticed: that song playing in Steve's apartment

Kiss me once and kiss me twice and kiss me once again
    It's been a long long time

Yeah, I guess 1945 counts as a long long time.

Juliet316 and pronker like this.
  13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    So, I haven't seen this movie yet but the internet is harping on the "list of things he missed" and it being different in different countries. ...How does that make any sense? He's American, right? Why would it change to some French thing?

Penguinator likes this.
  14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It doesn't really make sense- it only helps sell the joke better as a standalone gag.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Marvel sure knows how to pander, I guess. :p

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Though Cap has been unfrozen for 2 years now- maybe he's caught up on a lot of American references (he saw War Games!) and has moved into international ones in the belief that they may be of use during missions overseas.

And he does speak French after presumably spending a lot of time there during the war, so the modern culture of France and Britain might actually be of logical interest to Rogers.

That Kangaroo thing for the Aussies? Not so much ;).

In the end, the important thing is that Steve's list establishes Star Wars as a fictional idea that exists in the MCU, so that they can adopt the Ideaverse concept from Deadpool Killustrated (swapping out Deadpool for Thanos) and make Patton Oswald's crossover theory a reality! ;)

pronker likes this.
  17. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    That makes me hope Oswalt's character doesn't get killed off next week on Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D

18. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    jeez , I've obviously missed a lot of memos , I didn't understand a word of that !

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Joke Translation:

Deadpool Killustrated- the middle entry of 3 miniseries where a Deadpool becomes possessed by some kind of dark entity and convinces him that the Marvel Universe has to end to free everyone from the constant cycle of death and suffering they endure for the comic book reader's entertainment. So he basically takes Deadpool's 4th wall awareness to a grim, psychotic, genocidal conclusion.

Ideaverse- after killing everyone in his Marvel Universe (and some Marvel comics editors from ours) failed to end it's existence, Dark Deadpool goes after the fictional literary figures (Holmes, Don Quixote, etc) that inspired characters in the Marvel Universe, believing that it would cut off their inspiration at the source. They are found as living entities in the "ideaverse".

(the third entry has Deadpool, believing that, since he alone is seemingly aware of their existence, that Deadpools must be the progenitor of all things and thus, every Deadpool must die across the multiverse- which eventually involves the real "616" Deadpool)

Anyways, since Marvel doesn't have the rights to Deadpool in movies, I swapped him out for a different bad guy.

And then there was Patton Oswald's epic, improv'd fillibuster he filmed for an episode of Parks & Recreation that went viral:

Which the Nerdist channel later animated:

And now you know.

[​IMG]

Juliet316 and VadersLaMent like this.
  20. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    @2ndQuest - cheers for going to all that trouble , you shouldn't really , I've been missing a lot of comic book stuff the last 10 - 15 years , ever since they went full glossy and hired artists who never actually drew a real human being . sorry , off-topic .

I do know who Patton Oswald is tho

The2ndQuest likes this.
  21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Any excuse to embed the Patton video is really no trouble at all. :)

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    It's Oswalt, not Oswald.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Whoops!

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    I bet Cap had a ton of free time to soak up that French culture in the '40s when he wasn't fighting Nazis.

WAIT

25. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    Yes, because she's in a very different environment. The sexed-up "Natalie Rushman" was a cover identity designed to flatter Tony's ego, and it worked brilliantly. If she hadn't been present at his meeting with Fury, he would've spent lots more time trying to figure it out. Secondly, most men consider women far less threatening, which was another thing Natasha and Fury both counted on.