main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What was the last movie you saw?

Discussion in 'Community' started by TheEmperorsProtege, Aug 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Demolition Man 1993. Classic 90's era action comedy with a thin veneer of sci fi. This one has gotten better with age; the social commentary is even more on target than it was 20 years ago. Stallone does a good job of playing himself, Snipes chews the scenery into tiny little bits, and pre-stardom Sandra Bullock stole every scene she was in. What a joy to watch her. She delivered the most ridiculously awkward lines with utter conviction and hilarity. Her performance elevates this film from a forgettable action flick to something worth another look 20 years later.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just got out of Muppets Most Wanted. Fun, though the plot was pretty weak. Songs and jokes were good though. Cameos pretty good. Except Celine Dion. I hates her.

3. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Just got out of Muppets Most Wanted. Fun, though the plot was pretty weak. Songs and jokes were good though. Cameos pretty good. Except Celine Dion. I hates her.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Days of Heaven (1978)

It's Terrance Malick but earlier, so the plot is mostly coherent. It's beautifully shot with a haunting soundtrack to boot. I would say that as far as 70's era Malick is concerned, I prefer Badlands by a slight margin.

5. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Really good weekend.

The Silence of the Lambs

Big screen showing. It really is just a perfect thriller; it retains it's ability to disturb despite the fact that the gore is actually less intense than what you'd see on regular network television these days. The script is taut and well-written; the direction is minimal, but tense; Foster, Hopkins and Levine are probably all career best, absolutely perfect in fact. Great score by Howard Shore. God, this is a great movie. Essential. **** out of **** stars.

The Lego Movie

As witty, clever and all around fun as everyone had been saying. The animation is stunning and the voice cast, particularly Morgan Freeman, is pitch perfect. The film is legitimately misty-eyed at the end, but it also has time for the most hilarious "SEQUEL NOW" ending I've seen in a really, really long time. It's often hilariously funny, always energetic and an all around great time. Essential. **** out of **** stars.

Enemy

Jake Gyllenhaal plays a rumpled, dull-eyed history professor who's jolted out of his routine life when he discovers a small-time actor that is also played by Jake Gyllenhaal. Whence comes this exact duplicate? The film is thus a psychological thriller/mystery. I absolutely loved it. The atmosphere is one of creeping dread; Denis Villenueve, fresh off Prisoners, makes Toronto into the most frightening city in film history, a yellow, fog shrouded, menacing urban landscape. Great score. And Gyllenhaal is good; he resists the urge to make this a showcase - it's a pair of surprisingly minimal performances. The ending is sure to irritate some people to no end, but I loved it. I'm really excited to see what Villenueve does next; Prisoners was a typical genre piece that reached amazing heights of perfection; Enemy is as far from a typical genre piece as it gets, but it's also wonderful and perfect. Oh, one more thing; when you go see it, do NOT be late. If you miss the first two to three minutes, you'll completely miss the significance of a couple of other important moments. Essential. **** out of **** stars.

6. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I'm not gonna lie, a lot of my interest in seeing Enemy is because the film actually takes place in Toronto instead of only being shot here. :p

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Going to do yet another $5 movie double feature today!

8. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I really wish Only Lovers Left Alive were opening in Chicago tomorrow. Huge Jarmusch fan... and what can you say: Tilda Swinton, Tom Hiddleston, Mia Wasikowska, Anton Yelchin, John Hurt. Swinton should be doing only vampire roles as far as I'm concerned. Burned yet again for living in the second city. That's a Chicago fire joke.

9. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    You should see it. It feels like there are a fair amount of landmarks in the film. There's a university, but I forget the name of it. And then there's the famous city hall in a shot or two as well. But the director definitely gives the city a very distinctive, unique feel. I mean, it doesn't feel like Toronto; I've been there. But it has a wonderful feel to it.

Movies in theaters that I need to see: Cheap Thrills, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, The Unknown Known, Anita, Oculus, The Raid 2. I think I'm going to try to catch The Unknown Known on Saturday and Cheap Thrills on Sunday. Captain America & The Raid 2 will probably stick around for a while, so I'm going to have to shove them to next weekend. Oculus' aggregate IMDB/Rotten Tomatoes rating (which is how I decide what to go see) has dropped precipitously this week (as critic reviews start to pour in), so I rather anticipate it dropping off my to see list sometime next week as the trend most likely continues. Of course, next weekend, three new movies I'll probably want to see will be opening. It's a good problem to have, but sometimes you wish they'd space these things out better.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The Donald Rumsfeld of Unknown Known is so charming. The perfect grandfather. If I were doing the movie, I would have had Morris's interlocutor role played by a seven year old girl or boy sitting on his lap. They would read his snowflakes together as if from a book of fairytales.

11. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I'm really looking forward to it.

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    As am I. Disappointingly, my original plan to see it fell through, but I am mounting a second attempt soon.

13. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Although it didn't bother me, I found it odd that they chose to set it in the "real" world, with references to church and God, as opposed to some fantasy land like Middle Earth or Narnia or whatever. I expected the floating land of the giants to disappear or somehow be destroyed by the end of the movie, to neatly explain why we no longer know about it. But on the contrary, it ended the film in the Tower of London in the present day, further hammering home that it's still up there, and that British Airways strangely has avoided crashing into this thing on its flights to Dublin. :p

Sarge and The2ndQuest like this.
  14. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    The Quiet Earth. It's like my ultimate fantasy.

15. DahJediMan

DahJediMan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2014
    The last movie I saw was Star Wars :p

Juke Skywalker likes this.
  16. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Mr. Peabody and Sherman (2014)

It's nothing special, but it's a lot of fun with some great winks to the adults. Also, Stephan Colbert. Just, Stephan Colbert.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014)

The best of the phase 2 movies thus far and the second best Avengers film overall. Chris Evans is perfect casting as always as is Anthony Mackie who does a great job.

17. Rogue1-and-a-half

Nov 2, 2000
    I loved Mr. Peabody & Sherman. It functioned better as an actual adventure than any animated film I've seen since The Incredibles. And it was hilarious. Ty Burrell's voice acting was superb. And who doesn't love masturbation jokes in a movie for kids? WHO?

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I hope Colbert knocks Fallon off the air. I have a hard time understanding his popularity. His Tonight Show is a train wreck. He may in fact be the worst interviewer on television, and that's saying a lot.

19. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just saw Upstream Colour .

well ......... a woman gets infected by a parasitic worm which then makes her suggestible and she has all her money stolen
    and then she meets a guy and develops some kind of psychic link with a pig , and there's a guy like Ben Burtt who records sounds and manipulates them (I'm not even making this up )

made by the same guy who made Primer . It was very beautiful and sensual and very boring .

20. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Heh I loved the Oedipus reference as well.

21. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Disney's The Little Mermaid - Was never a fan of this movie when I was younger but it is a Disney Classic

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Misfire in wrong thread?

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Sabotage... despite the usual tropes found in a film like this, and Schwarzenegger's advanced age, this was easily Arnold's best work since leaving office in 2011. There are some surprises along the way, particularly in the final act, when collateral damage is addressed & shown during a key chase sequence. *** out of ****.

24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Disney's The Jungle Book - A fun movie

25. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    under the skin

FANTASTIC

Rogue1-and-a-half and Bacon164 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.