main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    Hey, I'm reading that baby, in less than a sec. That was my favorite show, or one of them growing up LOL [face_batting] @};-

2. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    Hey, I remember that SW/Little House idea! Whether out in space or in Walnut Grove, there's just something about a blond farm(er)boy. [face_mischief]

And heeeeeeeey Diva!! UConn or UK?? :p (Go Big Blue.... er, what???)

Okay, my real question is one I've asked before, but it's my fave: What is the most vivid dream you've ever had?

3. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    @Findswoman: You mentioned kids—how old are they, and can you recommend a good age for kids' first exposure to SW?

My children are a son age 22 and a daughter who is 17 (soon to be 18). Neither is a big SW fan. As for when to expose kids to SW, well, I think it depends on what you are showing them. I think little kids have a very vivid and welcoming imagination. They can explore the SW universe through the toys at a pretty early age, maybe 5 or 6. As for the cartoons, those, I believe, are less violent than the movies. I think maybe 8 or so for them. I wouldn't really show the movies until the kids are about 10 and can healthily handle sci-fi violence. When you think of it, SW is pretty ubiquitous. They see references to it in popular culture, so it isn't particularly foreign for the kids.

@Anakin Solo Revanchist: Sorry, but having lived in Kentucky previously, I'm gonna have to root for UK.

Ack! I'm a UConn alumna, my son graduated last year from UConn, and my daughter is going there in the fall. Love my Huskies.[face_dancing]

Have you traveled out of the country at all?

Only to Canada. When I was younger, I spent the summers in upstate Vermont - we were 80 miles south of the Canadian border. I've been to Quebec City and Montreal many times. However I've never been outside of the country other than that. Not to say I wouldn't want to be - I would love to travel.

@Nyota's Heart: What writing milieu or environment really helps you to write?

Hmm. Interesting question! I really write whenever I can. I don't have a particular environment. Mostly, I am on my laptop in bed, with the TV on. Right now, writing is what I do only when I can cobble together some time for myself. .I'm not a disciplined writer. That's a fault. If I actually made a schedule and stuck with it, maybe I would have something completed.But there always seems to be something else that demands my immediate attention.

@Jade_Pilot: Whatever happened to your SW/Little House crossover?

[face_laugh] You remember that! I think Ginchy and I wrote, like, 3 chapters. We named it "Little Planet on the Outer Rim." It was pretty funny, if I recall. I don't even know if I have it anymore. I think that's on indefinite hiatus.

@Ginchy: What's you most vivid dream?

Oh lordy. I used to be able to do directed dreams, where I would decide what I would dream and then dream it. That was cool. It was like a new chapter of a book every night. But my most vivid dream? Honestly, it would have to be the dreams I have where I am visiting my parents. Those are so incredibly realistic. And in my dreams I know it's a dream and that when I wake up, my parents will be gone again, but while I am dreaming it's just like they are still alive.

My favorite dream was the one where I went to work and everyone had brought their pets with them. There were animals all over the place. :p

Oh dear - you work at UK! I still gotta love my Huskies.

Findswoman likes this.
  4. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    How will you react when UK wins tomorrow? :p

5. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    If you could live in any period of history, or maybe just visit briefly, what would it be? :)

6. Mira_Jade

Mira_Jade The (FavoriteTM) Fanfic Mod With the Cape star 5 Staff Member Manager

Jun 29, 2004
    If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go? :)

7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What is your favorite area in SW fiction (before, saga or beyond)?
    And for writing?

8. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    First person POV or third limited? Which is your fav to read and/or write?

9. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite sweet or munchy snack?

10. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    This question is now moot. :p

What's your favorite style of music?

Nyota's Heart likes this.
  11. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Piggybacking on ASR's question: does music play a role in your stories?

12. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    LOL, congrats then to U-CONN. ;)

13. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    @ Anakin Solo Revanchist: How will you react when UK wins tomorrow?

LOL! I thought that they would, honestly –those freshmen are MONSTERS. The smallest is 6’6”. But my Huskies brought it home. And last night, the ladies did the same – for the ninth time, I might add. Love my UConn Huskies.

@Nyota’s Heart: If you could live in any period of history, or maybe just visit briefly, what would it be?
    Good question! Probably the renaissance, just so I could see Shakespeare as it was intended. I could do without the plague and the political upheaval, though. Honestly, I am very happy where I am.

@Mira Jade: If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would you go?
    I would have to go to Europe. I have been enchanted by France since I can remember. I would love to visit the countryside and see the chateaux, I would absolutely die happy if I can go to Paris. The styles, the elegance – I want to experience it. Maybe someday!

@Earlybird_Obi-wan: What is your favorite area in SW fiction?
    I usually read Beyond or Saga. I don’t read Before because I am not familiar with the characters from there. It isn’t that I think the writing is better in Beyond or Saga – that isn’t true at all. It’s just that I lack a point of reference in Before.
    I tend to write mostly Beyond because I like those characters and I feel comfortable with them, although I have written a fair amount of Saga, too.

@Jade_Pilot: First person POV or third limited?
    It doesn’t really matter to me which I read. Good fiction is good fiction. As for writing, I think I tend to write more first person POV. I get into the character’s head and I like to have the story unfold in “real time” – the reader discovers at the same time as the narrator. That being said, I think my last three stories were third person limited.

@Nyota’s Heart: Favorite sweet or munchy snack?
    I am a sucker for Rice Crispy treats. Love them. Not a big potato chip person, but I like pretzels.

@ Anakin Solo Revanchist: What’s your favorite style of music?
    Gosh, anything. My ipod has everything on it from instrumentals to opera to hip hop to light country. Interestingly, I tend to have more female vocalists. Current favorites to listen to: Lana Del Ray, Lorde, The Band Perry, Shakira, Arcade Fire. The last purchase from Itunes was by Jason Derulo.

@Findswoman: Does music play a role in your stories?
    Sometimes. Occasionally I will find a song that really focuses what I am trying to express with a character. For example, the song “Speeding Cars” by Imogene Heap is the perfect song for a story that has been in the works for some time now (a non sw story –historical fiction). That song expresses the exact longing that I imagine my protagonist feels. Other than that, I don’t really write with specific music on.

Thanks for these great questions!

14. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Thanks so much, divapilot! I've really been enjoying your answers. I guess my question was meant to be more along the lines of, does music play a role within the action of your stories—e.g., with characters singing, playing instruments, or even just hearing musical sounds that catch their attention? (Sorry if it wasn't clear the first time!)

15. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What was your first-ever read fanfic?

Jade_Pilot likes this.
  16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    What was your favorite year/grade in school, and why?

17. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Have you read the "Shakespeare" Star Wars?

18. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    I've not heard of that ... Now that is one intriguing cross/blend. Woot! :cool:

19. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    And this closes divapilot's AMA (you may answer the questions up to this point when you next are able)

Remember that if you would like to be the subject of FFAMA, send a PM to me or Briannakin.
    If you are intimidated by the amount of questions, we can set rules for an individual subject (like no more than one or question per person per day). We will work with what makes you comfortable.

Our next victim of FFAMA is leiamoody

So ask away!

20. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    So is there a meaning behind your username?

21. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Favorite non-Star Wars fiction (film, books, etc.)?

22. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    What drew you to the JC and/or SW? Also, what moved you to write fanfics? :D

23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    My username is a combination of two of the biggest and most consistent interests I've had throughout my life. The "leia" part obviously reflects my interest in Star Wars, which has been a huge part of my life since my fourth birthday. Plus Leia happens to be my favorite character. :D The "moody" part is the last name of the Titanic's Sixth Officer, James Moody. The historical Titanic has been a major interest of mine, off-and-then-on, since I was seven years old. James Moody is among my favorite people from the ship; I even went to his birthplace of Scarborough, Yorkshire back in 2002 when I was researching material for a historical novel that I wanted to write with him as the POV character.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  24. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    What do you do for a living?

25. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Favorite novels: The Great Gatsby and The Mists of Avalon
    Favorite movies: Blade Runner, Alien, Airplane!, Cabaret, Ghostbusters, Picnic at Hanging Rock
    Favorite TV: The Twilight Zone (The original and 1980's versions), Horatio Hornblower, Battlestar Galactica (reboot, not the one with the disco capes)

What drew me to the JC was the prequels; specifically, a place on the Internet that happened to be an active community for Star Wars fans. I didn't participate in anything until after the prequels, though, but I was a lurker before 2005.

What drew me to Star Wars was my first backseat experience...well, this sounds filthy, doesn't it? :p Actually, it's really tame. It was the night of my fourth birthday, and my father decided he wanted to go out to the drive-in. So I got to see A New Hope at a drive-in while sitting in the back of a 1966 white Pontiac Catalina...which had red vinyl seats, which means I was sticking to them, but it didn't ruin my viewing experience, but vinyl seats in early August are *sticky*, people, and that's not a detail to be forgotten :p .

What drew me into fanfic were ideas I had for my own continuation and background for the OT. This started out in the mid-1980's, a few years before Zahn got the licensed EU rolling, so there was fertile creative ground to make up whatever background you wanted for Luke, Leia, Han, etc. and even more freedom to write whatever you wanted post-ROTJ. I started writing a fanfic novel during 9th grade, primarily at lunch and during algebra class...no, really, during algebra, because I was already failing that class, so I didn't care at that point and needed to occupy myself. It was 324 pages, handwritten, and it was the longest piece of fanfic I have written and most likely ever will write.

I got into a couple of print zines after I left high school (they used to have listings for print zines organized by fandom in Starlog magazine...hey, the Net wasn't exactly widely available just yet!). I started putting up some fanfic on the Internet around 1999, but got distracted by a couple of ideas for original fiction novels that never really went anywhere. So I dove back into my SW AU in 2005 and wrote some stories using characters I had developed/revamped from my 324 page experiment.

I'm unemployed at the moment. Depression and anxiety took me out of the work force, and helping take care of my parents has kept me away from doing more than volunteering.

Ewok Poet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.