main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "You think you're the only superhero in the world?" - The Marvel Cinematic Universe

Discussion in 'Community' started by The2ndQuest , Apr 26, 2010.

1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Some guy turned on his cell phone right at the first credits scene of the Cap 2 screening I saw, and apparently his phone contained the blinding light of a thousand suns, because it just started lighting up the entire screen, and he's looking at his phone like "DERP GOTTA CHECK MY MESSAGES" and some guy saint says what we're all thinking:

"**** OFF WITH THE PHONE!"

And all was right with the world.

2. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    The thing is that unless you know comic books well, you're not going to really know a DC from a Marvel. Even with the separate logos that exist for the films, television and animation, there are still people who don't really pay attention to details. They miss..."Appearing in magazines and books published by DC Comics". Not to mention said logos.

Nope, but I would have had in the theater if I had interest in the Potter franchise. Actually, it would be like Homer spoiling the end of TESB while walking out of the theater.

The first one was to lead into "Age Of Ultron". The second was to wrap off Bucky's story for now, but setting up the third film. The first one with "The Avengers" was obvious, while the second was meant to be one of Whedon's joke moments. Something he did a few times on "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and "Angel", where we see an awkward silence at the end of an episode.

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, Marvel seems to have a started a "mid credits stinger sets up the next/a future Marvel film while a post-credits stinger in connected specifically to this movie" pattern. Iron Man 3 is the odd man out (a shorter version of Hail to the King totally should have been the mid-credits stinger) but Avengers, Thor 2 and Cap 2 have all done it.

It was probably out of necessity now that the films aren't directly related or overlapping anymore like they were in Phase 1- and with things like GOTG being completely out there and unconnected to Earth-bound events, etc.

4. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    I think in the case of "Iron Man 3", it was up in the air as to what will happen next. Doweny's contract was up and he was in negotiations at the time. I think that's why there's no set up for "Iron Man 4" and the only connection is to "The Avengers" with the coda, which was only done as a gag and not a genuine tease. If the paperwork had been done sooner, then I'd imagine a tease for AOU.

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Okay, just to be clear - you don't need to explain to me what the stingers are there for. I watched them. I know what they're doing. I just don't see them as all that notable anymore.

6. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    *snickers* I remember when Iron Man came out, and me and my nephew waited a couple of weeks to see it (I don't like dealing with Opening Night crowds, plus I was still recovering from a wisdom tooth extraction) and since I already knew there was an after credits scene, I made my nephew wait with me until after the credits to see SLJ's Fury (I'd heard rumors about SLJ as Fury, but I didn't realize it was really a reality until I saw that scene. It was really an awesomely cool moment). I considered it as a slight form of 'payback' for me enduring Transformers while in pain from a impaction and infection on that same said Wisdom tooth I had to get extracted shortly before Iron Man. (To this day I'm still not sure if the dizzying and painful headache was from all the dizzying camera edits, the pain of the wisdom tooth and not being able to take anything for it right then or a combination of the two).

*snickers* That reminds me of the time when we were seeing TESB Special Edition re - release in Theaters in '97 and my older sister giggled at the Luke and Leia kiss (I'm not sure if she actually watched the original or if it was just so long since she saw it that she just forgot certain things) and I decided to be evil and casually whisper "Wait until they find out their brother and sister." Watching my sister nearly choke and spit out her drink wasth e funniest thing I'd seen.

Lazy Storm Trooper likes this.
  7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That's true- though that stinger was more than just a gag, as it was the bookend to the narration framing device that opened the movie, revealing who Tony had been speaking to the whole time.

I think we were commenting more on the emerging/evolving patterns of the stingers themselves in Phase 2 versus previous films.

8. Darth Xalfrea

Darth Xalfrea Jedi Master star 4

Jan 2, 2013
    The stingers, much like Stan Lee cameos, are one of the main draws of the MCU. For me anyway.

Back when the first Iron Man first showed I had no idea that it was meant to be a connection to a larger universe. I thought it was just some solo movie that'll become its own thing. Hence why I didn't care about the Incredible Hulk at that time. But when Iron Man 2 came out that's what got my attention.

The stingers provide larger context to the MCU and make you WANT to watch the other entries.

That being said, IM3's stinger was quite a tease. It was funny, yeah, and I love how it builds upon the Tony and Bruce friendship seen in The Avengers, but it was still pretty eh in the grand scheme. I wouldn't be that critical if we had gotten something in the middle, but no, we only got Banner trying and failing to be a therapist.

9. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  10. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Yeah, that much was said the previous page.

Which then just begs the question why they're making Guardians now instead of just waiting until Phase 3. Is it just for the sake of introducing a new Infinity Stone? I dig that we got a taste of things to come for GotG in Thor: the Dark World, but I'm just curious why we're getting them this early.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    If not for Vader, Thanos would be my favorite villain.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  12. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    It's likely for two reasons: 1) to keep Thanos involved in some fashion in the lead-up to Phase 3/Avengers 3 across the board; and 2) try out some of the more galactic themes prior to then for inclusion and also to expand the universe and therefore the potential stories.

The thing to remember is that the 'Galactic Marvel' end of the comics universe absolutely skyrocketed when Abnett and Lanning revamped that entire area with Annihilation and all that followed. It's a rich story area to mine and one that can sit a little outside the rest of the films while also offering more rotation of characters than the core Avengers group can.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Not to mention it gives them the possibility of another galactic entry prior to Avengers 3 for Phase 3 as well, if this does well. So you potentially get two films developing whats going on out there before the big payoff instead of just one shoved in towards the end.

14. Darth Xalfrea

Jan 2, 2013
    Huh. Sounds like a plan then. That is assuming of course that Guardians will work out.

I think right now for Marvel, GotG is the most important movie to look out for and to pay a gamble. These guys aren't at the forefront of pop culture, and are from a completely different part of Marvel. If GotG works for them and is a big hit, then Marvel will have hit it big. Why? Because if a movie about a green skinned lady, a walking tree, and a gun-toting freaking raccoon with guns can work on the big screen, then Marvel can adapt anything from their extensive endless supply and nobody would question it.

Captain Marvel sounds like a good one to do for another cosmic Marvel entry.

The2ndQuest likes this.
  15. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    And will leave DC pretty much in the dust as far as being the king of comic book filmmaking.

16. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    GotG isn't as out there as people would like to believe.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    It's a talking raccoon. I'm pretty sure it is.

18. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Maybe if this were, like, the 1950s. "By George, that 'Mr. Ed' on the fancy new telemabob can converse with humans in a manner most unlike that of my common experiences with horses! What will those crazy writers think of next?!"

19. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Yes, okay, there's a talking raccoon. This must be the wildest and most insane movie ever based on that fact alone.

20. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I'd like to point out a giant cockroach wearing a human suit is a very high grossing movie, and a human wearing a anthropomorphized blue feline ape suit is the highest grossing movie of all time.

[Kanye]OF ALL TIME!!![/Kanye]

21. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Could be to shake up the pattern people have now noticed: Oh, you think all the inbetween films are just leading to Avengers 2? Think again - we've just changed the rules!

22. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Over the last several months, you guys have been waging a valiant effort to convince everyone that this film isn't quite as unusual as it appears. But here's the thing. It's a fundamentally uphill battle because it does appear that way.

That besides, I'm not sure you're arguments are really that strong anyway. Just because something has precedent doesn't mean that particular iteration isn't strange or novel. For instance, the Aten disc had been used for quite some time in the New Kingdom. Likewise, analyzing the particulars of their theology would suggest that monotheism wasn't as entirely out of left field as it seems at first blush. Even Senusret III had begun a movement towards more realistic art styles, showing a weary rather than perfect and unassailable ruler in some of his statuary. But none of those individual things means the new religion Akhenaten introduced wasn't legitimately crazy and novel for the ancient Egyptians.

Trip likes this.
  23. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, Wocky, something that can fundamentally be reasonably explained as "The Avengers meets Indiana Jones in space" is a hard sell... :p

24. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    I'm just saying, most of the GOTG discussion has had the same pattern. People here about the film or watch a trailer, and then comment how odd it is. Then there's a flurry of posts about how actually it's quite in keeping with the traditions of a half dozen different things. Fine. maybe it doesn't deserve to be see as being so unusual. But by the same token, you all probably ought to concede that regardless of what "should" be, the fact is that people are finding this movie about talking space animals to be weird and different. It's not like we've arranged some big conspiracy of people who actually think the movie is perfectly normal to come in here and say otherwise.

25. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I honestly wonder why so many people focus on the one talking animal in the film...