main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Grand Moff Tarkin - how well fleshed out a character is he in ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Iron_lord, Mar 7, 2014.

1. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    What about movie editing? When Tarkin looks really tense just before the Death Star explodes, it's actually 45 seconds before. "Evacuate? Now? Okay, sounds good," he then gets in a shuttle and jumps to parts unknown..... I should right a book about how Star Wars is in my head, mostly for my own benefit.

2. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Peter Cushing did a great job with a small part, but I don't think that Cushing hid something other than a bad man under the surface, and that if I stare at him long enough, I'll see Tarkin's good side. Tarkin is a more realistic face of evil than Vader and the Emperor, if someone who blows up a planet can be considered realistic. Let's face it, no matter how bad the Sith were, the typical Imperial citizen was not in any great danger of dying by Force choke or red lightsaber. They were in danger from people like Tarkin: being made to live in fear, being lied to by people in authority, being forced to die for grandiose projects. Tarkin doesn't hiss about how hate will make you stronger, but he's the face of evil that will jail you without trial, make you recite some loyalty pledge or mission statement at gunpoint. He's a bad boss.

Sometimes in fantasy worlds and role-playing games, there's an odd morality in which Good with a capital G wants to intrude on your life and take your personal freedom, while Evil says, "Do whatever you want." Tarkin is a reminder that people don't live good, free lives under the Empire.

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Well said. Finally someone that sees a bit beneath the surface. How refreshing! =D=