main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by moosemousse, Apr 11, 2013.

1. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    Word fail me at how to describe the sheer awesomeness of this Far Cry 3 stand alone expansion, so here's the trailer (it has a rude word or two in it, so be warned):

From what I can tell it's an 80's style vision of the future, which is actually a few years ago for us. It seems like every cheesy sci-fi action film and cartoon smooshed together into one big bundle of Far Cry 3 flavoured awesome. Even the website is like the worlds worst website from the 80's. All I can really say is:

[​IMG]

Oh, and the official site:
    http://fc3blooddragon.uk.ubi.com/index.php

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    I loved Far Cry 3, but this is just... odd. Seems to have nothing to do with the game, and judging by the tone of all this I can't see stealth being a gameplay focus, which is where FC3 shines.

I'll reserve judgment until I see some gameplay, but color me confused at this point.

3. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    This looks so awesome, watched the 15 min gameplay from IGN and i was impressed. Looks good, and so fun! I love all the neon lights, and blue blood on the cyborg soldiers. Im so glad they made this dlc, im hoping it's a test. To see if it would sell well if they made a full fledged AAA title like this.

4. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
  5. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    I've been jamming to the soundtrack for the past week, lol. This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun

6. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    Watched some gameplay trailers, and I have to say that I'm now looking forward to this one. Pre-purchased on Steam.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Wow, I've never given a crap about any Far Cry before but this looks like such a fun concept. Gotta grab that soundtrack, heh.

8. hunter77

hunter77 Jedi Padawan star 1

Sep 8, 2012
    Not sure if this belongs here, but some guys just made a Blood Dragon fan movie. I found the acting and effects really well done :)

9. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I think it belongs here as it is Blood Dragon related. It's a good video and the guys who made it are great. You should check out their other videos too.

10. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I just finished playing this game.

Wow, this is completely crazy.

11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    http://unitedfederationofcharles.blogspot.com/2014/04/far-cry-3-blood-dragon.html

I just finished the game, it's really-really good! Everyone should buy it.

In a way, Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is the anti-Spec Ops: The Line. SO:TL is a video game about the horrors of war and how there's something messed up about slaughtering thousands of digital people onscreen to feel like a hero. Blood Dragon explicitly calls out this attitude as nonsense, having a brief moment where an NPC talks about how video games are fun, improve reaction time, and have no proven link to violence despite numerous studies. SO:TL is about making you feel guilty for wanting to be a hero, Blood Dragon is about having fun being the most stereotypical over-the-top action hero since Duke Nukem but without the crudity or sexism.

moosemousse likes this.
  12. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    There might be a sequel in the works, maybe? I'm not convince but there's speculation. Mostly it's this tweet here: https://twitter.com/SpleenZilla/status/450837191640756225

Blood Dragon was announced on April 1st as well, so why not? If it is real then my reaction is the same as the first game.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I think they've confirmed it was real.

Which I'm very pleased about.

14. moosemousse

Oct 3, 2004
    I asked the guy who posted the teaser and he replied with "it was a real April Fools joke", so no, it's not going to be a real game. :(

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Well now I'm just confused and saddened.

16. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Here's the reasons I like the game, BTW.

Short version

1. The retro-80s techno soundtrack is really-really good. Like a Daft Punk doing an homage to the Terminator.

2. It's an antidote to stuff like Spec Ops: The Line and Far Cry 3 that says killing people in video games isn't fun. This is a game where it says, "yeah, it is
    and don't you dare feel guilty about it either. Pretending to be a hero is awesome."

3. Far Cry 3's Jason Brody was annoying as hell while Rex Power Colt is endearingly likable.

4. It's an enjoyable story of good vs. evil.

5. You can kill dragons with a chain gun.

6. Grey Delisle is awesome and her voice makes every game she's in better.

7. The homages are awesome if you remember the more obscure ones. It's a bit of a game.

8. It's like an R-rated G.I. Joe. Which is, by itself, awesome.

9. It expands on the fun bits of outpost taking from Far Cry 3.

10. It starts you with the ability to chain kill and shuriken people and let's you go nuts with it.

17. Erik_B

Erik_B Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 11, 2014
    Games like Spec Ops: The Line want to charge you $60 so they can tell you off for buying them. This is not a good business model.

If I want to be told off for playing video games I can get it for free in any number of places.

18. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    There's a hilarious set of lines regarding the anti-Spec Ops attitude of the game.

Doctor Elizabeth Darling: Rex, are you doing OK after that EMP surge?​
    Rex Power Colt: Good as new, doc. There's no challenge I can't beat.​
    Doc: I don't know, Rex. I'm pretty unstoppable in The Bishop of Battle.​
    Rex: Doc, you play video games?​
    Doc: Yes, Rex, video games are a proven coping mechanism, like any hobby. They've been shown to improve hand-eye coordination, problem-solving, social interaction and self-confidence. And no studies have managed to prove a correlation between video games and violence. Frankly, anyone who thinks games are bad for you is a [censored] idiot.​
    Rex: Hey, whoa, whoa, Doc.​
    Doc: No, Rex, [censored] stands for 'failing to understand our capacity for kindness.' It's an acronym. Though I suppose this isn't a game anymore. Is it?​

Darth_Invidious and moosemousse like this.