main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Why is Luke so hung up on picking up power converters in ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth Nerdling, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Pensivia

Pensivia Force Ghost star 5

Apr 24, 2013
    Ok, to get "serious" about the OP for a moment :p I agree with Sarge and rdhight--I have always thought (well, at least since I heard the radio drama with the extra scenes referring to the speeder races that Luke used to have with his friends) that "power converters" were not at all connected to the moisture farm but instead had something to do with Luke tinkering around with and trying to soup up his landspeeder, and I always assumed that this was an activity that he and his friends did together. I also figured that Owen was aware to some extent about Luke's interest in this and that it was something he would do with his friends. So I don't think Luke was trying to deceive Owen, and Owen responded just as any grumpy parental figure who regularly has to endure expressions of teenage "attitude" would do!

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Damn, we analyze the hell out of everything these days.

Maybe he wanted to use them to soup up his land speeder. Make it go from 0 to 60 in five seconds or something.

But I do think he wanted to just go hang out at Tosche Station and get away from his crabby relatives.

rdhight likes this.
  3. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    I think we're making great progress on this topic, so now I suggest we address another topic. I find it intriguing that Anakinfan suggests we analyze the hell out of everything these days. Do we have objective ways to verify that we are analyzing the hell out of everything? Is there some way to measure the rate of change over time of what we have been analyzing to determine that we have increased the amount of our analysis? Or does this point of view more closely equate to a subjective opinion that though valid can only developed through further lengthy discussion? Finally, I would suggest that the meaning of Anakinfan's post can possibly be interpreted in a different light if we consider what we have just gleaned from TCW Yoda arc and its lengthy exploration of the ways of the Force. There is much to consider... :p

4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    ^ That's one way to go. Personally, I want to delve into the theological implications of analyzing Hell out of everything. To be frank, I believe there will always be Hell in power converters; after all, there has to be some kind of unpleasant afterlife for unredeemed Sith and GL apologists.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Clearly setting up a Fast & Furious crossover film.

Palpatine77 likes this.
  6. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
  7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    This.=D=

Watching the deleted scenes and behind the scenes explanations of script and editing changes this is exactly what he is referring to.

After a first cut of the film Fox execs ordered the removal of the Tosche Station scenes as they felt it was too much like "American Grafitti in space"

Pensivia, rdhight and Palpatine77 like this.
  8. Bagliun Edar

Bagliun Edar Jedi Knight star 1

May 3, 2014
    Luke just wanted to repair his damaged Skyhopper, he had recklessly damaged in the Beggar's Canyon while he was shooting Womp Rats with his friends.

Pensivia, Lady_Misty and Palpatine77 like this.
  9. Palpatine77

Palpatine77 Jedi Knight star 1

Jun 28, 2010
    Just like Vin Diesel, Luke Skywalker lives his life a quarter mile at a time.....

Replace the word Landspeeder with Skyhopper, and I agree with your suggestion 100%. I too fondly recall listening to the Star Wars radio drama, which focused a bit more on Luke's teenage interests just prior to being forced to grow up all too quickly, and yes I think those "Power Converters" probably were a leisurely activity for a teenager, an opportunity to go into the nearest dusty small town and hang out with his friends, and buy something to build up his Skyhopper for the next local race. This is a bit where Lucas' teenage years directly come into fruition, as his later teenage years revolve heavily around fast cars and the race circuit in the then-small town Modesto, California area, and found their way into his writing. "Write what you know", as they say. That adage found itself directly into the early 70's blockbuster "American Graffiti", and it also found itself into Star Wars, or at least into this bit of dialogue. That's one of the wonderful bits of reading up on your heroes, you discover how little bits of dialogue relate directly to the creator himself in his writing.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Pensivia, Vthuil, Sarge and 5 others like this.
  11. Poor Greedo

Poor Greedo Jedi Master star 2

Nov 6, 2012
    In the radio drama, Tosche station was a popular "garage" hang out for Luke and his friends Biggs, Camie and Fixer. Luke was very fond of racing his Skyhopper (or speeder) through beggars canyon. I'm assuming the power converters were indeed an excuse to see his friends, although he could have used them on his rig, but that is never mentioned.

darth ladnar likes this.
  12. Bagliun Edar

May 3, 2014
    I'm reading from the novelization. This is a 14th printing, August 1977, of "Star Wars: From the Adventures of Luke Skywalker" by George Lucas. On pages 42-43 it says:
    "Luke looked askance at his uncle. 'But I was going into Toshe Station to pick up some new power converters and...'
    " 'Don't lie to me, Luke,' his uncle warned him sternly. 'I don't mind you wasting time with your idle friends, but only after you've finished your chores. Now hop to it -- and before supper, mind.'
    "Downcast, Luke directed his words irritably to Threepio and the small agricultural robot. He knew better than to argue with his uncle.
    " 'Follow me you two.' They started for the garage as Owen entered into price negotiations with the jawa."

Apparently, there was no need of power converters for the farm and Luke didn't argue its importance.

Also on page 46 it says:
    "... Luke was running a caressing hand over the damaged port fin of the hopper --- the fin he has damaged while running down an imaginary Tie fighter in the wrencing twists of a narrow canyon."

A port fin doesn't seem to be something needing power converters to repair; maybe it does, but the text suggests this is a lie of Luke's. So rethinking this, I tend to agree with you. Buying power converters was an excuse for Luke to see his friends, and it was a lie as it's apparent from Luke's confrontation with his uncle.

13. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Luke might have needed the power converters either for himself or for the farm but it most likely wasn't an emergency. Or they would be needed but they could be purchased at a later date. Kind of like how some people buy more socks or underwear in preparation of having to discard ripping out pair or maybe having extra light-bulbs would be a better comparison. [face_blush]

And if Owen knows Luke the way a parental figure should know their charge he knows Luke would rather skip his chores. If a comparison to the first novelization is being looked at than remember that Luke left his chores partially done to race off to tell his friends about the lights and the battle he had seen. And since that was yesterday or the day before mark my words that Owen remembered that Luke had left while he was supposed to be working on a Moisture Vaperator or working at the very least. It was even implied that the droid he was working with got picked up by scavengers.

Sarge and Pensivia like this.
  14. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    What exactly is a "Skyhopper?" (I didn't realize there was something different than a landspeeder) Is one ever shown in the film?

15. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    What I want to know is why fans are so hung up on this line.

16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    It's what Luke's talking about when he says he used to "bullseye womp rats in his T-16 back home'. In the deleted Biggs Anchorhead scene, he also talks about a recent race:

Although a full-sized T-16 Skyhopper never appears in SW/ANH, Luke is seen playing with a model, and part of the actual vehicle can be glimpsed through the door at the right:

[​IMG]

A T-16 also appears in the Tatooine celebration at the end of the Special Edition of ROTJ:

[​IMG]

Probably because it's the whiniest of Luke's whiny lines, and that's saying something.

Palpatine77 and Pensivia like this.
  17. Bagliun Edar

May 3, 2014
    It's in the background, and not directly mentioned, but it's there:
    [​IMG]

Palpatine77 and Pensivia like this.
  18. Pensivia

Apr 24, 2013
    Thanks for the clarifications! I'm going to further reveal my ignorance of different SW vehicle types here by admitting that I always thought the model Luke is seen playing with was the type of ship he hoped to learn how to fly by going to "the Academy" (and I also thought it might be the same thing as the Imperial shuttle used by Vader and the Emperor) [face_blush]