main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    hmmmmmmmmm.

Purity or harmony, purity or harmony...

darthscott3457 likes this.
  3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Here I am just wishing BC were making a reference to Firefly returning. :_|

4. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    CooperTFN likes this.
  5. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007

Exactly what I was thinking, maybe there will be some middle ground or overlap depending on your tech choices

6. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
  7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Purity! We must restore the best parts of humanity (ie, anything not related to wasting natural resources, polluting the environment, or exploiting other people). I am interested in the American Reclamation Corporation, mostly because I am an American. If not, I will probably play the European faction.

No borg implants for me, thank you very much.

--Adm. Nick

darthscott3457 likes this.
  8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Purity appeals most to me, but I'm reminded of those crazy redneck racists from Mass Effect too. There can be a dark side to that. There is a certain degree of adaptation that should be made to a new setting, a new environment, and cultural stasis is never good -- should be able to embrace a new setting and such.

But yeah none of this cybernetics garbage.

9. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I highly recommend checking out the old Alpha Centauri game.

10. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    MAD MEN.

11. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
  12. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    BOB'S BURGERS.

13. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    C-SPAN2.

s65horsey likes this.
  14. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    ADVENTURE TIME.

Ulicus likes this.
  15. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
  16. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    MY LITTLE PONY FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC

17. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    MY LITTLE PONY G1

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
  19. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    THAT'S NOT A SHOW IT'S A CHANNEL JEEZ.

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Wow, with all the all-uppercase titles being thrown about in quasi-stream-of-conscious fashion, this thread is beginning to take on a distinctly Joyceian cast! :D

21. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    What does that mean, exactly? :confused:

22. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  23. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

In Alpha Centauri you played as one of 12 possible human factions (or one of two Alien cultures), that are steeply divided among ideological lines. The split happens because of a malfunction during the initial Alpha Centauri colonisation mission, when an unknown party sabotages the colony ship sent from Earth to Alpha Centauri just as it is about to make planet fall and the ship’s crew and passengers scramble to take control of the few lifeboats the ship has, each of the survivor groups being guided by a charismatic leader , who either already had a major stake in getting the mission organized or just seizes the potential opportunity to restart humanity according to her or his ideas.

Deirdre Skye for example is the former science officer of the colony ships and forms Gaia's Stepdaughters preaching a radical green policy because she wants to avoid what happened to Earth (which the Settlers have to assume has destroyed itself since they can’t make contact), especially as the settlers quickly find out that Alpha Centauri is actually sentient and does not really want them there.

By contrast you have the Spartan Federation which are lead by the former security chief of the expedition and she believes in a disciplined military state, or the Peacekeeping Forces which are the remnants of the original UN administration that was in charge of the mission and believe that humanity should reorganize itself according to UN principals of peaceful coexistence.

You also get stuff like a cult that actually worships the planet itself, super fundamentalist Christians, cyborgs that believe that humanities only future is in a joined consciences, a “Free Drone” movement formed when part of the “voluntary labour” (they are essentially convicts and “lower class” that had parts of their brains cut so they are docile before getting shipped along for the expedition) rebelled and demand a more equitable society, radical pirates that basically seem to have one of those “Raider societies” going like we see in Mad Max, Fallout or Waterworld etc.

Let’s just say it made for very interesting conflicts, especially as each faction would react very differently to your actions. Gaia's Stepdaughters for example would often get into conflicts with Morgan Industries (which are going for a super capitalist society and are lead by a former African business mogul who made most of his cash from conflict resources and private armies) because of their extensive mining projects, whilst the Free Drones would often find themselves at odd with the Human Hive which are a kind of super communist police state that often uses Drone labour.

Each faction would of course get very different bonuses according to their ideology and of course their interpretations of what humanities future should be made for very interesting reads and background stuff in the Alpha Centauri version of the civilopedia.

24. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Saw GoT -- MM on my plate for tonight.

Gorefiend -- no old world monarchist faction with medals and plumed hats? :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

25. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Well the Peacekeeping Forces leader had a Turban. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.