main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Like Dr Manhattan, or the Wonder Twins.

purplerain likes this.
  2. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I wouldn't put it past him, but I wonder if that isn't too powerful. I mean, that could effectively make him immortal, which is the point of learning that ability, but if the bad guy can keep coming back to life every time you "kill" him, how do you defeat him? With Palpatine in Dark Empire with his spirit moving to a cloned body every time his current body dies, at least there's a way to defeat him, just destroy all spare bodies and he's done for.

Darkslayer likes this.
  3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    There might be a special weapon or Force-power that can destroy Plagueis's atoms.

The reason I suggested that Plagueis have this ability is to get around the issue of Palpatine destroying Plagueis's body.

Palpatine2016 likes this.
  4. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    I kind of like the nightsisters. I doubt that FOTJ will remain canon, so no they are not wiped out

5. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    Zombie Joffrey with a lightsaber. What else is more horrifying? [face_devil]

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I was talking about TCW series, which pretty much says they are. I don't know what happened in FOTJ, and if it's a comic book, I don't consider them a part of the saga, anyway.

7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The best argument for Plagueis is connecting the saga, The saga would feel extremely disconnected if the villain's not connected to Palpatine.

Darkslayer, StoneRiver and Immortiss like this.
  8. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I'd say that's the only good argument for him, & it's not a very convincing one.

KevinM1 and Master Ood like this.
  9. Master Ood

Master Ood Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1998
    Not necessarily, Palpatine wasn't the only bad person in the universe. I guess to connect it a student of Luke, disgruntled for whatever reason discovers information about Plagueis or even Palpy and starts down a dark path of discovery following their teachings. He doesn't even need to be disgruntled, just hungry for more power. We've seen that before.

10. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    being a bad person doesn't automatically connect you to other bad people

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Point is, this is the Skywalker saga, not that Palpatine saga. Not every single episode has to be about Palpatine as the villain, as Ep7 will demonstrate.

Darkslayer and Darth_Pevra like this.
  12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I didn't mean to suggest that Palpatine survived ROTJ. There are ways to connect characters other than Plagueis to Palpatine.

13. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    & that may well be the case, but I don't think it's essential. As in any saga or series, hero continuity is what counts & villains can come & go. Granted Palpatine was a supreme super villain, but he's been dead for 35 years. Time for a new threat, whether there's a link to him or not.

14. Master Ood

Master Ood Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 14, 1998
    That was my point

15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    whatever they do, no fallen Jedi

16. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I think there will be one at least. Hopefully not the main villain, but I have a feeling a next gen will be converted somewhere in the trilogy.

17. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    If the ST is to return to 'what works' or 'an OT feel' then one must assume that it might be a quite personal story. I think it indicative of the importance of connecting the villain in some way to the entire saga. That is, the dark side will not be nearly enough to do so. There will be new villains, no doubt, but the uber-villain will need to be either direct (Palpatine) or once removed (Plagueis).

18. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The villain could be connected to Darth Vader. The villain could be connected to the Skywalkers. The villain could be connected to the Empire.
    There are many ways to somehow connect the villain to the previous movies without having him be connected to Palpatine.

Darth_Downunder likes this.
  19. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    I still think the Yoda arc gave clues; the villain will somehow be connected to the Sith, with the heroes going on a journey to truly understand what the Sith are. Visitation of Moraband is likely and I'm beginning to wonder if we'll see Darth Bane.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  20. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think they understand what the Sith are: adherents to the dark side of the Force.

21. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    If Plagueis is unique and has survived in a way that doesn't undermine Palpatine, he'll be awesome. Otherwise, he'll be the worst thing since Jar Jar.

To those who don't care if Palpatine is undermined, if it's ok to undermine Palpatine, why not undermine the Sith in general?

22. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Why is it necessary to undermine main characters? I don't understand it.

purplerain likes this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Because it's not mainstream.

24. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012
    I honestly don't get the fascination with Plagueis. He was created for RotS to highlight that Palpatine had a master, and that the Sith had been operating in secret before Palpatine took up the mantle of Sith Lord. That's it. His EU appearances can be safely ignored, IMO, as Disney has all but said that the vast majority of the EU won't be considered canon any longer. So you're left with the Sith equivalent of 'Kessel run' - a term to illustrate a point and not much else.

The focus on him just shows a complete lack of imagination. Anyone or any thing could be a compelling, memorable antagonist if written well. It's not, and should not be, predicated on a name drop that the vast majority of the viewing audience won't remember. So, yeah, Plagueis could be the villain and could be a good one at that, but stressing that he has to be the villain because of a name drop is completely illogical.

I, for one, will be disappointed if the big bad is another old Sith Lord. Been there, done that. After six films, the series desperately needs a new kind of threat, one that isn't wrapped in black robes, wielding a red lightsaber, and shooting lightning at everyone.

25. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    It's not a lack of imagination, it's a lack of credible information coming out of either Disney or the Episode VII production office. I wouldn't object to the Plagueis discussion being put to bed, but until it's announced who the Episode VII/ST villain will be, nothing should be off limits to speculation.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.