main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "On your left." - Captain America (Brave New World)

Discussion in 'Community' started by gonzoforce, Nov 9, 2008.

1. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    We're talking people who were grateful to be under Soviet annexation (communism) instead of the fascism of Hitler...that's one helluva trade up. "Thanks for pulling me out of the boiling oil, just set me down in the fire, please."

VLM- =D=

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    There was a rumor that Red Skull was gonna be Alexander Pierce. But it was just a rumor.

3. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    It would have been cool to see happen, I thought Robert Redford was great in this movie.

pronker likes this.
  4. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Did anyone think NF was actually dead and gone? That was one plot point I didn't buy for a second.

5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    But he got zapped to Asgard or something?

6. AstroFan428

AstroFan428 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 3, 2003

No, I saw too much footage of him in commercials and trailers. lol

7. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you're completely wrong , he never said that .

Sarge likes this.
  8. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Or something (since we glimpse Yggdrasil, he could be anywhere in the 9 realms- maybe the events of Thor 2 will have allowed him to escape/return?). The main reason they didn't make Peirce the Skull is that they felt it would have been too out there- and they really wanted a regular guy to be the villain to keep the genre feel they were going for.

9. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    The Wock has a peculiar talent of sometimes warping reality for the sake of erudite trolling. Granted, there are comments to be made about the evils committed by the great generation and this one and there are no easy answers to justify any one stance. The discussion between Steve and Fury was more simplistic and I'm sure the script couldn't afford to go into such a lengthy debate in the opening moments of this movie. I'd like to believe that, as a deeply moral person, Steve Rogers would've had issues with the Japanese-American concentration camps and even with the actual dropping of the atom bombs. Such extreme measures don't truck well with him. Cap is no Renegade-Pragmatic Commander Shepard type. Therefore, there was no way he could condone the preemptive strike option that was the core of Project Insight. And perhaps Fury didn't as well but he had to defend it, being a company man and all. Regardless, he did express his misgivings (subtly at first with the "this is a bit bigger than a .22" comment) and then when he went to Pierce, which resulted in his nearly getting killed for his trouble.

VadersLaMent and Sarge like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Too bad Hugo Weaving won't come back.

Darkslayer and pronker like this.
  11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    I just finished reading an entire page of someone telling a trained historian that he ignored basic history.

What a world.

12. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

It's not like there hasn't been recasting done and won't be done again.

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Yeah I know, but it's still rather sad.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Horray for red makeup, false face masks and German accents!

15. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He's a comic book character. What do you expect? William Faulkner?

16. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    [face_whistling]

[​IMG]

17. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSS

18. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    No doubt that Herr Waltz would be an interesting addition to any of these films. But I kinda hope he doesn't play an evil Nazi (or ex-Nazi) so soon. Typecasting and all that.

19. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    Got around to seeing it tonight. Any movie that throws in an easter egg like THAT quote on THAT tombstone probably has something going for it.

So yeah, I loved it. Not only the best since The Avengers but I also think the best other than that film overall in the MCU. Bring on GotG!

Sent from beyond the Wall

20. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    We'll leave alone why you bothered to complain if you were going to spend the next few sentences conceding my point.

The frustrating thing is that this didn't require a "lengthy debate" or a long detour from the action at all. Relatively minor changes could alter the whole tone. For instance, instead of saying that everything they did "made people free" why not something with slightly more nuance but still keeping the high ground? Maybe, "I know we did [do awful things]. That's why I can tell your from experience it wasn't worth it." This way, they're neither white-washing the things that happened in World War II nor letting up on their condemnation of Samuel L Jackson's position. There's a lot of other possibilities like this, and they specifically ignored them all to choose the stupidest, most jingoistic response possible. I feel perfectly comfortable criticizing that choice.

Trip likes this.
  21. Darth_Invidious

Jun 21, 1999
    Well Wock, I'll be sure to pass your comments along to the Vice President of Hollywood for more nuance in the next popcorn flick that tries tackling such hefty debate. I'm sure he'll take your suggestions seriously.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  22. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003

who's supposed to be saying this and what was it they experienced specifically ?

23. gezvader28

Mar 22, 2003
    well I don't know about other instances , but you were talking about this instance in IM2 , you said it worked "brilliantly" , but then you say you might want it out -- ??

24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    Well, I mean...
    [​IMG]

Sarge and Darth_Invidious like this.
  25. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That's fair, but it's also a response most stupid, jingoistic Americans would probably agree with; it's not all that shocking that a blockbuster would mindlessly echo them.