main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST New Canon Material (novels, TV shows, comics, games) and TFA

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by EHT, Feb 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Oh, but he has a very lighthearted stance when it comes to killing and violence. TCW Anakin is someone I really wouldn't want to cross. So I must disagree that he doesn't come across as a person who couldn't be turned to the dark side.

Circular Logic, Dra---, TKT and 2 others like this.
  2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I agree... TCW may have had the luxury of more time to show his character, but I don't really see the inconsistency that some see between Anakin's PT character and his TCW character. He shows a definite streak in TCW that could offer hints of what's to come for him. It just also has more time to show him involved in happy banter, etc. too.

Ryus, Circular Logic, Dra--- and 6 others like this.
  3. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I think the movies have to nail certain points about Anakin in the limited time they have to do so because they don't want to deviate from the narrative arc of setting up his fall, and overall I think they did a fine job of that, even if some others disagree. So while at first glance, Anakin in TCW seems slightly different from the movie version, I think it's only by virtue of having the breathing room to explore more facets of his character, and taken together they perhaps offer a broader and more balanced view of him. And of course the foreshadowing is there in TCW as well, but it just doesn't have to always be the narrative focus like it does in the movies.

4. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Anakin in the TCW that I've watched has immense repressed rage.

Ryus, Dra---, TKT and 4 others like this.
  6. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Not in front of Clovis lol

7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I honestly prefer the TCW portrayal of Anakin to that of PT, by a wide margin. I actually like the TCW Anakin.

Slater, Ryus, Circular Logic and 6 others like this.
  8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    He was a fearless general in TCW, but didn't get the chance to lead much in RotS

WatTamborWoo likes this.
  9. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    That was kind of the point though, wasn't it? The Jedi wouldn't let him lead because they needed him to spy on Palpatine. Of course then he did end up leading the troopers into the Jedi Temple, so there's that.

Darkslayer and Dra--- like this.
  10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He lead Jedi to their doom. That counts right?

11. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Right, that would be rage bubbling over. :p

Dra--- and Darth Punk like this.
  12. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I think Ahsoka is portrayed as a character much more likely to venture over into the darkside than Anakin (in TCW). Of course, there is some learnt behavior... but I think Ahsoka is shown to be more of an idealist than Anakin... and is seemingly more compelled to follow her own path. And in terms of Anakin's relationship with Ahsoka, I think he comes across as more of the pragmatist.. and more respectful of Jedi Council orders/chain of command etc. (IMHO). Of course Anakin has a dark streak, but in the cartoon I never really got a sense of a character willing to slaughter innocents (which of course he did in both AOTC and ROTS). His nastiness and his emotonal turmoil, in TCW, is obviously and understandibly played down. So we're left with a much more likeable, and dare I say it, more conventional hero. I'd have liked to have seen Anakin as a full blown hero/Jedi in TPM, but alas, by the time we get to AOTC, Lucas has to condense his heroic/tortured Anakin into circa 4 hours of screen time.

Dra--- and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I couldn't really believe AOTC Anakin as slaughterer of innocents. He was just a prototypical dumb teenager before he went on a rampage that would make Hannibal Lector proud. Pretty much came out of nowhere, that. When it comes to killing, TCW Anakin would be someone who is more capable of pulling it off than AOTC Anakin who has never really been forced to fight in a war and such. TCW Anakin seems to enjoy killing on occasion. He is less nasty and annoying, but seems more deadly than pre-Tusken Anakin.

The Hellhammer and Dra--- like this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    as a native of tatooine, he might have had tusken prejudices, even before his mum got killed by them

15. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004

In the same way he always hated younglings? ;)

They're annoying and course.... and they get everywhere

16. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    More like exploding over :p

17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I can't think of a single episode of TCW where Anakin is depicted as a character who seemingly enjoys killing? Re. the Tusken slaughter. I don't think it came out of nowhere... they just killed his mother... one could argue that's reason enough. The distinction though is that AOTC shows Anakin relishing his barbaric actions. You may not like it, or the way it's handled, but there's nothing in TCW that directly shows Anakin both gleeful at the thought of killing/snuffing out life, yet guilty and conflicted by those very emotions. TCW just never has the remit to go there.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  18. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    He had a war to fight though.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    I think we'll have to agree to disagree because obviously our perceptions were completely different.

Darth Punk and Dra--- like this.
  20. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Also, different writers too.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I sort of agree with Pevra and PJ. But that makes sense since most of us agree that we're seeing different aspects of Anakin in TCW and PT. I think what inconstancies we do see can be explained by the fact that more tragic events happen to Anakin in the PT. Thus, in TCW we see more of a baseline Anakin while in the PT we see his extremes.

I don't think his actions in AOTC are surprising -- after the slaughter, he seems surprised that he enjoyed the brutality of his actions and seems shaken. A dark part of him has come out for the first time, which I think was always there, although the Jedi taught him to repress it. But he reveals before the slaughter that he has a totalitarian mindset, and he enjoys ordering civilians around. Anakin has never fully shed the master identity he learned from Watto.

But I also recall in the TCW a couple scenes where Anakin releases his rage and we see him act like Vader when Vader tortures or loses his temper (I think from the last couple seasons).

23. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Maybe Death Watch will support whoever the ST villain is.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  24. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    This would be very interesting. I can imagine Luke fighting a couple of death watch warriors, in the way Obi-Wan did with Jango on Kamino.

purplerain likes this.
  25. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    Another note on our canon policy. We updated it with minor changes a few days ago, but we are in the process of updating it again now in light of today's official announcement. It will be published (replacing the existing policy post) soon.

As always, though, everyone please play nice. [face_peace]

Dra--- likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.