main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I think its pretty clear it was the burnt leech that did it. That the Fool saw it coming is a clear indication that he holds a magic power of the sort we've suspected all along.

OdRevus likes this.
  2. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    It's a bit out of left field, but... what about Littlefinger as the one behind Jeoffrey's murder? "Chaos is a ladder", after all, and what can be more chaotic in Westeros than the death of the King? I know he's supposed to be in the Vale wooing Lysa, but he's certainly not above pulling some strings to make events happen, puppetmaster that he is. All it takes are certain accomplices in key positions, and there you go. Surely with all his network of spies he has garnered enough blackmail material as leverage to make just about anyone do what he wants, when he wants them to do it.

Lauré :)

3. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    I just watched this episode yesterday, and that scene of Joffrey humiliating Tyrion was very tense, excellent job from both actors. As to Joffrey's death, I enjoyed it as much as everyone else did, but after the Red Wedding, I was expecting more bloodshed and dismemberment. I'm sure there's plenty more death to come, though.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Trying to imagine Joffrey as a real human, he likely would have been born a psychopath. Most psychopaths learn early the value of at least faking a normal persona, but Cersei devoted her life to catering to and nurturing Joffrey's psychopathy, which consequently was always entirely out in the open for everyone to see. As a king, he was consequently entirely predictable and relatively easy to control in large matters, only going off the reservation completely in small matters like hacking apart books and torture-killing prostitutes. He probably had about as much volition in his daily life as "Reek" giving that other psychopath a shave.

Consequently, the real perpetrator in the books doesn't make as much sense as some of the suggestions in this thread. The people who knew how to control Joffrey were already controlling him, making a nice balance of control over the Joffrey puppet between the Lannisters and Tyrels. Just as a matter of logic, no Lannister or Tyrell interested in political power would really want him dead.

So, either he was killed by a Lannister or Tyrell for reasons other than maintaining power over the throne, or he was killed by someone who wasn't a Lannister or Tyrell. Maybe he was killed as a matter of bringing justice to the world, but that would make the deed so unlike anything else that has ever happened in this story that it's almost unimaginable.

5. OdRevus

OdRevus Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    I accidentally read an article that laid it all out for me. Damn my eyes!

Ezio Skywalker likes this.
  6. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Exactly. I have not read any of the novels that GOT is based on, so am happily & genuinely surprised at the numerous shocking revelations & events on the show. Based on what I've heard, the show fairly closely mirrors the novels, with some minor changes.

Conversely, I have read The Walking Dead comic series that the show is based on (up through the 19th TPB reprinting the comics), and I am still surprised at the events in the show since so many things have been changed between the comics & the show - i.e., there is no Terminus (end of S4) in the comics; characters that live in the comics have died in the show, characters die in different ways in the comic vs. the show, etc.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006

In the first season, yes. But there have been plenty of changes since then. Though the general plot is similar, characterization is a really big issue between the books and the show.

8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    And most of the characterization issues appear to be unintentional. I'm not sure if that makes it worse or better.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Here's me...

[​IMG]

...not caring about the Game Of Thrones novels.

10. OdRevus

OdRevus Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    I want to read them. It's just difficult to find the time between reading other things and watching television.
    Life is hard, guys.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Why not? They're fantastic.

12. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Read 'em. As Point Given said, they're fantastic.

By the way, Guardian, way to go on so blatantly blowing the lid off the episode only hours after it's aired! And in a poorly written, shoddy article to boot. THAT'S journalism these days?!! Incompetent twits!

13. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    There are no Game of Thrones novels, unless you are referring to several copies of the first book. There are A Song of Ice and Fire novels, however. :p

14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Maybe one day, long from now. But I have decided I do not need the books, and I am quite pleased with the show as is and I have zero concern on what others think I am missing out on.

MistrX likes this.
  15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Your loss.

Seriously, your loss.

yankee8255, Volderon and Darth Guy like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA

17. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    You need to at least read Catelyn's last chapter in ASOS. Martin really knocks it out of the park.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The book thread is over there. [​IMG]

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Literacy is so overrated. If something can't be explained to you in thirty seconds or less, it's not worth knowing.

20. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Hopefully with lesbian sex in the foreground.

yankee8255, YodaKenobi, Trip and 4 others like this.
  21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Yes, look how happy you are taking a narrative dumbed down especially for you.

Point Given likes this.
  22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Thank goodness your ridiculous opinion doesn't rule the world.

23. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    VLM your theories on who killed Joffrey are such astonishingly potent endorsements for my view that the TV narrative is dumbed down so simpler minds can follow it that I'm almost tempted to suggest a divine hand played a role. You see, there's no other way for me to explain the serendipitous alignment of these two points.

24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Except that they aren't, and you're just trolling. Do you think you fool anyone with this crap?

25. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Honestly?

You're a D&D player. Unless you're the guy who min-maxes everything, and who always rolls the same character type, then these books are written for you. You pick them up, you'll instantly realise how the show does a good job at visually representing everything but how unfairly it shaves off whole portions of the narrative.

Why, VLM, if you and any other show-only person read the books? I suspect you'd thank us for pushing it.