main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Heaven is for Real

Discussion in 'Community' started by I Are The Internets, Apr 15, 2014.

1. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    You have to realize by now that people see reality differently. It ain't even a Christian/secular thing, it's universal.

2. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Just because you have a thought doesn't mean it needs to be aired especially when its a dumbass thought.

3. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    Pure white. Just like Jesus, right?

4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    You've got that backwards. Evidence needs to be provided that he's telling the truth. That's how the burden of proof works. You are not right by default.

5. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Reality is reality, just because you are divorced from it shouldn't prevent you from learning about what is actually going on.

Give it a try, you may learn something

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I also find it peculiar that this is the 4th religious themed movie to come out this year, the other three being Son of God, God is Not Dead, and Noah. I've only seen one of the other three (Noah which was fantastic from a narrative/technical standpoint), but does anyone else find this odd? I can't think of another year where more than a couple of religious themed films were out in theaters before Easter.

Actually, I'm not sure if Noah counts. Isn't Aronofsky an atheist?

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It's because the Rapture is coming

SUMMER 2015

V-2, Ender Sai and Darth_Invidious like this.
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Noah is the only major studio release. The rest are by small outfits that regularly churn this **** out. God's Not Dead just got more mainstream attention for whatever reason.

V-2 likes this.
  9. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Christians are getting desperate, because they know atheism is on the rise and they are trying to do whatever they can to keep their lies alive as long as possible.

10. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i thought aronofsky was a secular jew and noah was his practice of midrash.

Adam of Nuchtern likes this.
  11. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Son of God could be considered a mainstream release too. It was nowhere near as successful as GND though.

12. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    GND had the whole Duck Dynasty thing going for it. Which really bugs me, because I cannot for the life of me see how Duck Dynasty could be as popular as it is. It's like Honey Boo Boo but with hippies instead of a toddler.

Healer_Leona likes this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Just because one doesn't believe something doesn't make it a lie.

14. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    The Duck Dynasty crew can be called many things, but I don't think "hippies" is among them.

Ender Sai likes this.
  15. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007

When there is no evidence in support of their claims, then yeah, it's a lie.

16. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    What will atheists do once they take over the world and Christians go extinct? I mean your reason for existing will be gone?

Ender Sai likes this.
  17. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Well sure, if you think the only reason atheists exist is to fight against religion. If there were no religion, everyone would be atheist. There just wouldn't be a need for the term.

18. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    what's interesting to me about stuff like this is that it's so, like, brazenly heretical and dopey. like this is the sort of thing the Church would've dispatched someone to stamp out back, back in the day, because this kid is clearly either lying or strait up deceived by satan.

i guess what i am saying is that it's all Martin Luther's fault probably

19. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    wweeeelllll i think a lie implies intent. a large number of people are, no doubt, lying about their faith for a variety of reasons, from more sympathetic reasons, like fear of loss of social status or ostracization to monstrous reasons, like this kid's family and marjoe and his family and all the tent revival-style preachers he mentions in his documentary taking advantage of the faith of others in order to make money

but there are many religious people (i would tend to guess most, but that's just a guess) who have earnestly adopted a supernatural faith-based system for understanding the world around them. people adopt all kinds of ideologies in the attempt to make an orderly pattern out of the world arrayed before them. religion is just one of these

i think the percentage of liars vs earnest believers is significantly higher among the leadership, particularly in religions (such as the modern evangelical church) where "faith" can get you quite a lot of money. psychopaths (persons with no capacity for morality or empathy) seem to naturally rise to the top in any situation where the system can be said to encourage and privilege man's predatory instincts. this has been verified in the business world (psychopathy has been tested for among CEOs and found to be 4 times more common among them than it is in the general population) and i suspect it would hold true (perhaps even moreso) among megachurch pastors

Trip likes this.
  20. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
    i blame john edwards and mark driscol.

Rogue_Ten we're seeing this ****.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  21. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007

Inb4 "those aren't real Christians"

22. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Rogue_Ten actually hit it right on the money. I typically say there's an inverse relationship between the attendance of a church and the quality of the message being preached from that church's pulpit. If a ton of people go out to a church every week, then it's likely that that church isn't preaching the Gospel properly. Many of Jesus' followers told him "This is a hard saying, who can hear it?" and proceeded to walk away from him for good. When the Gospel is preached, it convicts the spirit, and most people don't like that feeling of conviction. It means that they've got something wrong, and they don't want to admit it.

23. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    And of course, we have the expert here on not admitting when one is wrong.

V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
  24. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    At least I took a step back and decided to think for myself, instead of just accepting what I'm told at face value.

25. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    Thinking for yourself is a valuable trait. However, to think that you know more about the universe than all of the established scientists on this planet is arrogance at the extreme.