main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FanFic Ask Me Anything ~*~ Version 3.0 Daily Questions (See list on pg 164 or 1)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by mavjade , Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

WarmNyota_SweetAyesha Chosen One star 8

Aug 31, 2004
    What place(s) would you most like to visit?

2. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    À propos the Titanic: have you ever played the text adventure game Jigsaw? It's a very well-researched and literarily top-notch time travel game in which the player visits various historical periods of the 20th century in order to keep history from being sabotaged, and it features a lengthy and detailed episode on the Titanic just before it hits the iceberg, where the player gets to go around to all the parts of the ship, meet various famous people on board, etc. Anyway, that just popped into my mind.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  3. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I would really like to see something, anything, to do with the Whills and the point in history when they discovered how to maintain a personal identity after death. That whole subject gets bumped against but never gets explored. That would most likely be in the Pre-Republic era before the Infinite Empire, which is an era that really hasn't been touched. It would be interesting to see someone write about the Zhell-Taung War, and maybe cover where humans in the GFFA actually come from (common opinion says Coruscant, but that just seems like the most obvious answer).

Another era that should get more coverage is the Pius Dea Crusades. I'm fascinated by the idea of a government led by cult followers and how that influenced later attitudes which led to anti-alien prejudice in the Empire. There could also be some influence on how much of the galaxy viewed the Jedi based upon their withdrawal from galactic affairs in the middle of this era.

The most likely means of covering anything related to these eras would have to be in either novels or possibly some kind of video game format similar to Old Republic. I highly doubt Disney would think about doing anything live action or even animated in these eras. There's no money in it except for diehard SW fans.

Oh, England again, no question. I need to go back and finish my tour of the Tower of London (seriously, I ran out of time and missed the Crown Jewels, but I did make into St. Peter ad Vincula, which was really more important to me). I'd love to do the pilgrimage walk to Santiago de Compostela in Spain. Other places at random...Scotland, Morocco, Tunisia, Egypt, Cordoba and Granada in Spain, Brazil, France, Monaco, Japan, Italy (mostly for Pompeii and Herculaneum), The Virgin Islands (US and British)...oh, and the International Space Station. Mars, too, because it's space, and who would turn that down?

I've heard of this game, but never got around to playing it. The only Titanic related game I've played is Titanic: Adventure Out of Time. I only managed to win that game *once*. The other times I never got all the necessary items, which means World War I and II happened, and the Nazis took over the world, etc. That was a good one. Jigsaw sounds interesting, too. :D

Ewok Poet and Findswoman like this.
  4. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    I remember that one! I even got the strategy guide for it so I'd be able to get the "ultra-good" ending! Unfortunately it came out right when 3D animation was beginning to emerge as the gold standard so it got largely overlooked. Right now I'm actually watching the James Cameron film for the 102nd anniversary. BTW, I think Fifth Officer Harold Lowe's role is more interesting than Moody's, because of how he took command of the lifeboats and attempted to go back for swimmers. It's a shame that the surviving officers never got commands of their own; Charles Lightoller even sailed his yacht, Sundowner, across the Channel to help evacuate British soldiers from Dunkirk.

What is your favorite comfort food? What food from the GFFA would you like to be able to sample, assuming it wasn't poisonous to us Earthlings?

leiamoody likes this.
  5. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I won't argue Lowe's role in the disaster, or Lightoller's, although Lightoller was stuck too much on "women and children" only compared to Murdoch. I was drawn to Moody's personality through a series of letters to his family that still survive. He had a lively sense of humor that I found interesting (he compared his cabin on the Titanic to a cupboard in size among other things). For some reason that kid grew on me, and became a personal favorite. Of course there were so many people on board that night who rose to their duties, even if they weren't officers. Of course there were a few who were...not very honorable...Robert Hichens, for a start.

I do agree that Lightoller commended himself during the Battle of Dunkirk. BTW, the Sundowner still exists at the Ramsgate Maritime Musuem in Kent.

Favorite comfort foods...macaroni and cheese, and mashed potatoes. GFFA foods I'd like to try...Corellian whiskey (okay, so that's drink, but you need something to drink to swallow the food! ;)) ...anything else scares me. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  6. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    It's funny, I love that idea -- but would be scared of what they would make of it in canon! Maybe it's just that the hazy origins of the SW galaxy allow for fans to invent more possibilities. Once they make an official version, it'll be locked-in as far as most are concerned. But if they did a good job, it would be fantastic...

leiamoody and Ewok Poet like this.
  7. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    What kind of job do you prefer? Do you have a job?

8. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    If you could have one superpower, what would it be?

9. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    Okay, I have a question that I wondered about for some time. A few times I have read some of your stories, but when I go to give a review I find it locked (sometimes I come back to review and the story has completely disappeared with only the letters "NM" remaining). Usually this occurs about a day or two after it is posted. I noticed your new viggie has been closed. I assume you are asking the Mods to do this. Why? I always wondered why you like to close your story threads after a day or two.

10. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    Ewok_Slayer Any thread author can lock their own thread, so I can only conclude that she's locking her own story threads.

leiamoody Ice cream, sherbert, or sorbet?

11. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    Favorite team sport?

12. Ewok_Slayer

Ewok_Slayer Jedi Master star 2

Nov 24, 2004
    I didn't know the author can lock the thread (I rarely start my own threads. I've only written one or two stories). I guess the question is why is she locking the thread then?

13. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    This is an odd one that I just thought of because several of the local trees are in bloom now -- but is there a seasonal thing that you like best out of the year? Particular tree that leafs out in summer, favorite flowers seen by the roadside, first snow, something like that? Maybe I'm just asking favorite season with more words. :p

Ewok Poet likes this.
  14. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I don't have a job, and I can't get a job because I've been out of the workforce for too long, and plus now I'm too old to get hired anywhere. But I also can't get disability because people in charge (government officials) seem to think that I can still work. I've been caught in this bureaucratic nightmare for years now, and I can't win in either direction.

If I ever got a job, it would ideally have to be something with minimal interaction with other people. I'm really, really unlikeable, and there are things about me that people dislike/find disturbing/angers them more than paying taxes. I've found it's easier to avoid people as much as possible rather than try to force myself into the company of others.

I'd like to spontaneously combust. It's a one-time use power, but it would be awesome. :D

My stories have a very short shelf life, so it's easier for me to lock them and forget them rather than keep wondering if anyone is possibly digging them up. It's strange, I know, but it helps protect me from disappointment.

All three, at once, dumped into a vat of champagne.

None. The only sport I occasionally watch is tennis, or horse racing during Triple Crown season.

I used to like summer, but now that I've gotten older it's too darned hot every day and my allergies go into overdrive and I just turn into a melting ball of flesh. But winter is too cold and snow means that I have to do all the digging around the house...fall, probably.

Ewok Poet likes this.
  15. divapilot

divapilot Force Ghost star 4

Nov 30, 2005
    If you could go back to college and study anything, no worries about money or starting a career, what would you like to study?

Jade_Pilot likes this.
  16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    What is the most vivid dream you've ever had? (I keep asking this question. It's my favorite!)

17. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    What's the story behind your avatar? (It's super pretty—looks almost Pompei-ish.)

18. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Some kind of Literature and Writing double major. I wanted to be a novelist when I was younger, so that major would make sense to me.

I've had quite a few memorable ones, but the one where Luke, Leia, and Lando were searching for Han while he was frozen in carbonite, and at one point they were talking in a room with a bright orange velvet sofa and a portrait of Mary, Queen of Scots in a plastic cube was probably the most bizarre. Plus they were headed toward some place called the "Dream Acropolis"...that's pretty vivid, right? :p

It is from Pompeii. :)

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Herkulaneischer_Meister_002.jpg

Ewok Poet likes this.
  19. taramidala

taramidala Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 1999
    It's late, and I'm feeling lazy, so I'll repeat a question, too: favorite piece of fanfiction, Star Wars or otherwise (or both? :) )?

20. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I've got some favorites in another fandom that isn't Star Wars, and was very active many years ago but really small, and it's one no one around here would be familiar with, so there's no point mentioning anything from that one. :p

Favorite Star Wars fanfic...it was in a print zine a long time ago, and no one around here probably read that one either. ;) (It was called "Shore Leave" by Yvette Ghilan, for anyone who *might* remember the print zine era).

Ewok Poet likes this.
  21. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Humor us? You might be surprised.

22. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    Okay, I just did. :p (See two posts above at the end).

23. WarmNyota_SweetAyesha

Aug 31, 2004
    As an H/L fan, :D what futures would you have written for Jaina, Jacen, and Anakin starting from the NJO timeframe? :cool:

24. leiamoody

Nov 8, 2005
    I'm not a fan of the Expanded Universe past ROTJ, so I can't really say in specific terms how I would rewrite the Solo kids' respective destinies. But I would do definitely do away with the stupid "Jacen becomes Sith Lord just like dear old grandpappy" angle. God, really, this kid had access to more knowledge and history than any other Jedi in the GFFA, save for his uncle, and he winds up doing the same stupid things that lead to him going super-duper Dark Side? Was the point supposed to be that the past repeats itself? But what about people learning from the past and refusing to give into the same temptations that caused so much destruction for the galaxy and their family? Nope, just a plot rehash because it seemed like the NJO writers ran out of original ideas.

I would have preferred for Anakin to stay alive for a longer period of time. There was some untapped dramatic potential for the child who managed to help his mother and uncle defeat the reborn Emperor in utero. Jaina's role as Sword of the Jedi was okay, but shouldn't have come at the expense of having to murder her own stupid brother.

Ewok Poet and Nyota's Heart like this.
  25. taramidala

Jun 18, 1999
    Surprise! I had heard of it, and upon a quick Google search realized that I had, indeed, read it before. I can see how that would be inspiring. It's an interesting take on Luke. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.