main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Heaven is for Real

Discussion in 'Community' started by I Are The Internets, Apr 15, 2014.

1. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    How did Saul die?

2. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

[​IMG]

"O.K., screw the starship. I want a breakfast crunchwrap."

Darth_Invidious likes this.
  3. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    So, ASR, if heliocentrism is a lie from satan, why hasn't God done something about it? Surely God is much more powerful, so how could satan plant all of this false evidence? And if heliocentrism is just a test from god, what's the point? God is omniscient, isn't he? He knows what the result of such a test would be.

Isn't it possible that the Bible is nothing more than a collection of cultural myths, written by primitive men who knew very little about the size and scope of the universe? That makes much more sense than a god trolling all of us just for ****s and giggles.

4. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    [​IMG]

FatBurt likes this.
  5. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    The burden of proof always lies on the one making the assertion, and applies to the claim being made. Rogue_Ten said Todd Burpo and/or his son is lying about the contents of the book; therefore, the burden of proof rests on him regarding that specific claim. My burden would apply in regard to the opposite stance.

6. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    ROFL, you still don't understand the concept of burden of proof.

By writing the book, Burpo is making a claim. The burden of proof rests on him, and him alone. He needs to prove he is telling the truth. Those who reject his claim do not need to prove anything.

If I tell you I caught a leprechaun and keep him in a cage in my room and he grants me a new wish every day, the burden of proof is on me. That's how this works. The burden of proof applies only to positive claims.

7. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    I respectfully disagree.

8. timmoishere

Jun 2, 2007
    So the burden of proof is on you to prove I don't have a leprechaun in my room.

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Proving a negative

When the assertion to prove is a negative claim, the burden takes the form of a negative proof, proof of impossibility or mere evidence of absence If this negative assertion is in response to a claim made by another party in a debate, asserting the falsehood of the positive claim shifts the burden of proof from the party making the first claim to the one asserting its falsehood, as the position "I do not believe that X is true" is different to the explicit denial "I believe that X is false".

10. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Who has to prove what is not the real problem. See, there's an issue cropping up here:
    No such claim was made. To provide proper context, the original claim was this:
    To which "the account as relayed by the author was fabricated" was presented as a valid alternative scenario. However, this was interpreted as a positive insinuation of the author lying, which led to this:
    In other words - repeated conflation of the assertion "The author could be lying" with the assertion "The author is lying" for the purposes of reframing the debate.

That said, MF2K4 is technically correct in that the burden would be on someone asserting definitively that "The author is lying" to prove the author knowingly fabricated his story - incidentally, that would be asserting a positive, so proving a negative is not relevant. But the claim that would require proof was never made to begin with, and consequently, if the debate were actually being framed in the context in which Rogue_Ten's original assertion would actually require it to be framed, the burden of proof would rest with MF2K4 to demonstrate the possibility of the story in the book.

So what I'm saying is **** this whole argument.

Edit: Gaaaaah, I can't resist:
    This assumes a law of noncontradiction which may not be valid in all logical systems and consequently may not hold in general depending on your acceptance of multivalued truth calculi! It is entirely possible we live in a universe wherein positive proof of anything is only valid within contextual frames of reference! Furthermore I am not sure that all philosophers of science would accept this as a possible argumentative construct and they would therefore agree with timmo! Exclamation marks denote the fact that I really like thinking about these problems!

11. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Hey keep it up Ramza and we'll give you to the liberal arts.

12. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

Christian Heaven would be like North Korea, only worse.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002

dont polymath shame :p

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

They should have a play date.

And in response to the Backstreet Boys video...I've always thought that if heaven exists, it would feature boy band music. It just...it just feels right, it feels heavenly.

So I think This Is The End portrayed heaven's music very accurately...but then again I know nothing of what Scripture says of music in heaven.

Anakin Solo Revanchist you seem to have knowledge of the subject, what music is played in heaven? Do the Backstreet Boys perform live in heaven? This is very important to me, I'd very much like to know. If heaven does not feature live performances by the Backstreet Boys, I would be very dispirited.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  16. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000

Essentially that, but produced by Kirk Cameron... yikes.

17. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    For some bizarre reason this is playing in a week or so on camp herebut grand budapest isn't. Perhaps I can persuade some friends to join me in seeing it.

AaylaSecurOWNED and Rogue_Ten like this.
  18. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Be gracious; he smoked you like a blunt there.

19. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

dont provoke a fort hood

20. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Let us not leave out that extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

"God talked to a 3 year old" requires far more powerful evidence than "This story is made up".

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Guys, if the universe is infinite, then every point could be considered "the center", including the Earth. Ha!

22. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Where's my Infinite Improbability Drive?

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Ask that petunia. Err, whale.

Jedi Merkurian and Saintheart like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It's holding at a 50% on RT right now. That's certainly much higher than God is Not Dead at this point.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002

i first thougth you were talking about me, and then i thought you were talking about russia today before finally realizing rt stands for rotten tomatoes. i guess that shows you where my head is at