main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Game Of Thrones (uh i guess it's done now? Edit: No!)

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Apr 17, 2011.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    I think you just have to learn that this is an adaptation . And because of that it has some strengths and weaknesses.

They're never going to film the books, and they shouldn't. They're taking the core elements of the story and translating it to the screen. Insulting people who enjoy the show does no good at all, it only makes people who read the books look like *******s.

If you want to moan about how they're messing up the translation do it in the books thread, the people in the show thread don't care and are only going to be discouraged. Hopefully some day they'll read the books and see the story properly, but until then chill the **** out and let people enjoy the show.

halibut, JackG, MistrX and 4 others like this.
  2. Trip

Trip Force Ghost star 4

Dec 7, 2003
    it doesn't even do that really

3. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    I poked around on Youtube yesterday and found a clip of Joff's death and watched it - probably the only scene of GOT that I'll be watching for a couple years.

Pretty horrific. Yes, he was a sadist, but seeing him die like that was chilling. Some may disagree with me, but I liked the one major change from the book.

But geez - seeing Tommen caught me off guard. The actor seems almost too old to be playing the character, regardless of the show ages being changed.

OdRevus likes this.
  4. Rebel_Padawan

Rebel_Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 11, 2003
    They have recast the actor for season 4 with someone slightly older.

5. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So Tommen is King now? That might actually be a good thing to happen, for once, unless he's changed too, he always seemed mellow and normal when he was shown in previous seasons. Btw, didn't Ned marry Catelyn after his older brother (who she was engaged to) died? Margaery could still be Queen (to yet another King). I don't see the Lannisters wanting to break their Tyrell alliance, with how good everything has been going lately because of it (unless they're blamed for the poisoning).

Also, is this the first major "bad guy" death in the entire series? About time!

And who exactly is in charge of the Stormlands right now? Since Stannis is limited to Dragonstone. He and Balon Greyjoy are now the biggest remaining threats to peace (not including the two big threats, the Dragons and the White Walkers, of course). Though peace under the Bolton's might be worse than war for the North... and hoping Oberyn Martell doesn't start another war soon, or Littlefinger once he reaches the Eyrie and marries in to become Lord.

[​IMG]

6. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    In the books (and I'll assume in the show unless stated otherwise), Storm's End is still held by those loyal to Stannis (as the name implies, it's not easy to take by force). Otherwise, most of the Storm Lords have sworn fealty to King's Landing. Partly because the traditional capital is still held by the enemy, I assume, and there are no Baratheons or Baratheon cadet branches, no one really rules the area. They're de facto part of the Crownlands and a Baratheon is on the Iron Throne.

7. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    I guess it depends on if you prefer the book or the show characterization. In some cases I prefer one and in other cases the... other.

On the other hand, one person's "unfairly shav[ing] off" is another person's streamlining. You ask me, VadersLaMent? Read them if you have the time. If you don't, it's not the end of the world. I think it's a great enough show and book series that you can enjoy either with or without the other.

Depending on how major you consider him, Viserys. I've certainly read plenty opine that Joff's death was the most satisfying since that golden crown.

Ghost and VadersLaMent like this.
  8. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    Incidentally, hats off to both of the young actors. Harry Lloyd and Jack Gleeson were truly exquisite in their portrayals of spoiled, tyrannical young royals, and made them truly memorable characters. I loved to hate them, and somehow the show feels a bit empty without their menacing presence. I've read somewhere that a tale is only as good as the portrayal of its villains, and the axiom seems to be verified in the case of Viserys and Jeoffrey.

Lauré :)

9. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I've started listening to the commentaries for season three while we wait for the weekly new eps, and fwiw the writers seem to be very aware of when they diverge from the books, even characterization-wise. Seems to be intentional.

They make it very clear that while they try to follow the books, they're telling their own version.

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

10. Darth Morella

Darth Morella Force Ghost star 6

Apr 5, 2004
    So last night, I got in bed and I'm about to turn the lights off and go to sleep when I notice my husband, who was already in bed, smiling. He simply says "I'm still happy that Joffrey is dead". I think I lost it. [face_laugh]

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  12. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
  13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  14. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    So obviously I loved the episode. Partway through the wedding I just knew either Tyrion or Joffrey was going to die. The tension was insane and wonderfully played by Gleeson and Dinklage both. At the end I immediately went back to watch the final sequence and here was my ultimate conclusion:

On first watch I thought there was a small possibility it was Sansa, but that doesn't make much sense and requires her having weird foreknowledge that she'd touch the cup at some point. Then I thought maybe Olena put something in the cup when it was on the table, but that too is coincidental and requires doing something in broad view. Unless Margaery shouting about the pie was enough of a distraction.

But then I had two uncontrollable exclamations as I watched the second time:

1. "Ohhh, it was the pie, not the wine. Margaery never ate it and neither did anyone else." Maybe not but that's how it felt to me.

2. "Ah ****, Brienne still told Caitlyn that she would get Sansa out of King's Landing." And obviously she's the biggest person of her word left. No way would she just forget about that. And they had her mention it again in last week's episode to remind us. I'm almost positive of this one.

It's most likely a conspiracy of sorts. Ser Dontus (the fool) definitely starts to whisk Sansa away quickly, and with his pledge to her as well I am pretty sure he's involved. I go back and forth now on whether I think the Tyrells are involved. Yeah Olena wouldn't want Margaery to have to deal with and sleep with Joffrey, but they also went to all that trouble to get power only to have it taken away before consumation or children? Hmmm. There's a decent possibility Oberon was involved, even if he was being awesomely overt in his hatred.

Now we can wait a few days to see if I'm just stupid :p

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I should note that you being correct and you being stupid are not mutually exclusive propositions. ;)

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

16. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Your face is stupid.

17. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Well, Ender Sai hasn't called you stupid yet, so that's a start.

Of course, it could just be the time difference.

Gesendet von meinem iPhone mit Tapatalk

MistrX and OdRevus like this.
  18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    He's too busy gushing about his car that gets approximately the same mileage as a tank.

yankee8255 and OdRevus like this.
  19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    Found this on tumblr. Apparently Jaime couldn't wait until after the wedding to drink his coffee (and regrow his hand).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

OdRevus likes this.
  21. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Ugh, the show changes more things every episode.

TX-20 and Ender Sai like this.
  22. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    Not to ruin the joke (except I am), the gif is from a behind the scenes featurette. It's a rehearsal scene. :p

Jedi Merkurian and Ghost like this.
  23. The_Forgotten_Jedi

The_Forgotten_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 12, 2010
    ...darnit. I was really hoping that Westeros had coffee shops. :oops:

I thought the quality was a little strange, but I figured it was just due to how it was captured.

24. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    ...and it being a hyper-compressed Tumblr .gif.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    You're just jealous.

In any event, at least solojones has paid attention to the plot and characters, who for others seem to be pretty/handsome things that do boring stuff between scenes of sex and violence (case in point: positing that Tywin was the killer, which shows precisely not one bit of attention was paid to his character to date).