main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Spider-Man & SSU Films (Madame Web, Venom 3, Kraven, Beyond the Spider-Verse)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Spiderfan, May 20, 2008.

1. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
  2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Is Andrew in Spin-Offs- and could he appear in Avengers?

Word came yesterday that the "Venom" and "Sinister Six" movies will not only arrive before "The Amazing Spider-Man 4" but will be integrated with "The Amazing Spider-Man 3". Just how integrated though?

Namely, the big question everyone's asking is if Andrew Garfield's Spider-Man will show up for a brief appearance in either one of the spin-off films.

Producer Matt Tolmach was asked just that at the UK premiere of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" last night in the UK. He tells HeyUGuys:

"We'll see. That would be an enormous spoiler I cannot give you. I'll just say that anything is possible. That's the fun of that, and that is what you see in some of those Marvel movies. Once you sort of decide to open up the universe, the rules go out of the window and you get to have fun. So, without actually answering the question, we'll see what happens!"

Asked if there has been any discussions, at any level, about any character from the Spider-Man films popping up in the Marvel Studios movies, Tolmach says:

"We talk about everything all the time, but Marvel and Disney and Sony are obviously two very different companies. As great as it would be, the truth is no. Right now, we are working with the characters in the Spider-Man universe, and there are tons of them. The question everyone asks, 'Is Spider-Man going to show up in The Avengers?', that's not a plan for now. Right now, the truth about Spidr-Man is that he swings along. That's his plight, so it's not happening anytime soon."

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    I saw a leaked scene this morning that was eye opening. Thanks mod Dave for link.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The Goblin makeup work looks...strange.

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    At best in the spin-off films, they can used Garfield's stunt doubles and he would just voice the character through ADR work.

6. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Sinister Six & Venom updates.

Producers Matthew Tolmach and Avi Arad say that the six villains that will make up the "Sinister Six" are NOT the same ones from the original comics, rather they will be what ones they think are suitable for this 'universe'.

Tolmach says: "Nothing is sacred. I mean it's going to be the best Six that you can imagine, but it's going to make sense in the world that we're building."

Avi Arad adds: "When you translate comic to film the word 'classic' means the first fifty issues. Because after that we all made changes; changes that had to do with science fiction turning into science. I think just the need to move this world forward."

Arad continues: "So, of course we'll make adaptations about these guys and what was their motivations because many of them have multiple motivations. It depends, is it ultimate Spider-Man? Is it Spider-Man? Is it some three-piece issue that takes them to space? We have a bigger responsibility to represent the character of the villain as it was conceived, because that way it will survive the test of time. All the rest... that's a movie. What an opportunity to make - can you imagine seeing Paul Giamatti in a leather suit? I think they would have killed us. They gave us a hard time with the Lizard."

The Lizard, Electro, Rhino and Green Goblin are portrayed on screen in the first two "Amazing Spider-Man" films, whilst Doctor Octopus, Vulture, and Venom are all heavily suggested in the upcoming sequel. Could this be the six?

Both Arad and Tolmach are keenly looking forward to the "Venom" movie. Arad says that he's very confident in the character's appeal: "We did Venom in the UK as a special issue based on the '94 show: the three-parter. And I think if you check the record book it was probably one of the best-selling videos. Way before DVD. Because the character is interesting. Even Venom is not – we call them villains, but he's really not a villain."

Asked about the possibility of Carnage appearing in the "Venom" movie, Arad replied, "What a great idea" and Tolmach added: "Exactly. The idea of Venom and Carnage... taking it into consideration. Watch out for this Venom movie. We are crazy excited."

burrisjedimaster1 likes this.
  7. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    I got to see this last night, and was blown away by the movie. A lot of kudos ha to go to Marc Webb and his editor for the way they pieced the movie together because it moves nicely and looks stunning.

Stick around for the mid-credits scene, but don't get any hopes up over what it means.

8. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Any other overall impressions? My hope is that this movie proves people wrong by especially in the action scenes being an energetic, fun comic book movie that really captures what these characters can do in motion. What I've hears about Spider sense and slomo really has me excited.

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    So any thoughts on the
    X-men post credits scene for this? It's small but at least it's some collaboration between Fox and Sony.

10. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    It's apparently not in every country-seems to be filling the void of an actual stinger which people now expect

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    The fight between Spidey and Electro does realise a lot of what you see in the comics. The animation team did a great job, and the times that slow motion is used is done to great effect.
    The fight between Spidey and Green Goblin is short, and a lot more raw. The friend who I saw it with disliked that until I pointed out that by this point Peter has been in costume for 2 years, and Harry has zero fighting skills so it's actually quite accurate to the situation.

I could talk a lot more about it, but there are some things that work well by only knowing teases of what is going to happen. If you really want some full plot run-down scene by scene I know there are some already out.There is a lot of what happens being pulled from both the 616 universe and the Ultimate universe, with those elements blended in seamlessly.

There is a specific moment from the comics that is realised brilliantly in a slightly altered form. This is telegraphed almost from the start of the movie but it doesn't lessen the impact. And spoiling it really takes away from the whole scene.

Also, Sally Field is at her absolute best (bar one single line near the end of the movie that was just unnecessary and jarring to everything else they had done). Garfield and Stone were on point the whole way, and Fox looked like he was having a ball playing both aspects of the character.

The other thing is that there are so many hints, easter eggs, and groundwork pieces throughout the movie for those who know their Spider-Man lore.

When I initially saw it, two things happened. First is that I was as giddy as a schoolgirl to see more DoFP footage and finally have Havok's place in the movie better worked out. The second was running through all the possible implications of what a scene like that would mean in the bigger picture. Could it mean there was some deal struck between Sony and Fox to start working together on a larger universe? Since the Spider-Man property really only covers about 5 heroes and such a plethora of villians it is a problematic issue for Sony, but being able to tie into the worlds of the X-Men and FF would have a bigger impact and play nicely with some of the themes about heroes that are touched on in ASM2.

Unfortunately, I did consider the more cynical possibilities, which are realised thanks to this Variety article.

12. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Thanks Dingo that's what I was looking for....wounds like Ill like it

13. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I am excited for this, but I'm a little concerned about the number of villains that are in this.

14. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    ^There are only really two, but I think they should have settled on just one. There's a lot of good stuff in the movie, but I felt the two villains were overkill and the whole thing was kind of ungainly. There are some really over-the-top camp performances which sit uneasily in a film series that started off trying to be a little more gritty and grounded - it's like they decided they wanted to be a Rami movie after all., instead of sticking to their guns. Garfield and Stone still have great chemistry though, and Garfield's Spidey is pretty much perfect. I wish Dane DeHaan's Harry had more screen-time, as I thought he gave a very compelling performance before going off the rails.

15. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I am loving this "Swing" TV-spot.

It's basically a trailer for the trailer. It's a trailer that tells you to go online and watch the trailer. :p But why? This would have been enough by itself. I actually prefer this one to all the longer trailers.

soitscometothis likes this.
  16. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
  17. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Just got out of it....uh about an hour ago.

Without a doubt my favorite Spidey movie. They absolutely nailed Spider-Man on screen.

That ending. Oh my.

18. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    You should sleep on it. I've heard nothing but awful things so far.

19. Mr. K

Mr. K Moderator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 1999
    I didn't think it was that good. It was pretty to look at, but came across as more self-important than it really was.

20. burrisjedimaster1

burrisjedimaster1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 31, 2002
    The Sinister Six is what is going to play out.... I think the need to converge into the Secrete wars

21. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    How bleak is the ending?

22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
  23. darthcaedus1138

Oct 13, 2007
    Pretty bleak though it ends on a very triumphant note.

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I don't think audiences in the US are going to be very forgiving if this movie is as bad as the reviews suggest. The first one already left a sour taste in people's mouths for being so dull. Over time, audience goodwill depends on movies being watchable. This holds true for everything except Transformers.

25. Eeth-my-Koth

May 25, 2001
    Don't forget Pirates of the Caribbean. That last piece of trash pulled in over $240million in the US alone.