main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Canderous and Cade's Crazy Cantina: a shiny new fanfiction social thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

I applaud your making this edit, leiamoody. =D= You seriously had me worried for a moment there. Hang in there and be of good courage!

2. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I've been courageous my entire life. Hasn't done much good. I just made the edit because I'm not supposed to speak. :)

3. Goodwood

Goodwood Jedi Master star 5

May 11, 2011
    All I know is that at some point you quoted my post from earlier. If you have something that you feel needs to be said, please let me know via PM if you feel it is inappropriate to share in a public forum. I don't want anyone to feel that they can't express an opinion to me, for any reason.

4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    After a relatively nice day yesterday, it's rainy and dreary today, with snow later tonight. Can't wait!

5. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Wasn't about you, just my crazy-crazy, no worries. :)

6. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, I'm glad to know you've got things under control. If you ever have a "moment" in the future and want to talk to someone, my door is always open (so to speak). Some of us here have had our own crazy-crazy things, and we know it helps to have someone in our corner. [:D]

7. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    I love spring break. Spending time with my kids. My son smiled brightly this morning when we went to see him. He was able to flex all five of his fingers!

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

jcgoble3, Findswoman and TrakNar like this.
  8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh yeah, I went back to work the day after I got back to Boston. Today is day 4 out of the last 5. (Worked Fri, Sat, Sun, off Monday, worked today and tomorrow.) Granted I kinda did this one to myself so I can't blame work. ;) But of course because it's my luck, they've been busy days... this is the first time I've sat down for more than a few moments since 0645 this morning.

leiamoody - Please feel free to share what you want to share so long as it's not against the TOS or the thread rules. Trust me, not everyone here (and I actually go as far as to say most people here) are not "normal".

We ask that people watch hot button topics such as religion because it spirals out of control very fast and we want everyone to feel welcome in this thread. :)

Gemma likes this.
  9. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Next month is the Faerie Festival.

I shall wear my cat ears. :3

I'm hoping the reptile rescue stand is there again. I want to hold snakes and lizards again. And scorpions. Scorpions need love, too.

10. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    TrakNar Bring back pictures this time! :D

11. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I think pictures are needed. I want a selfie of you holding a scorpion :p

So, one of my elementary school teachers contacted me. She is reading a book to her students about a girl with the same disability as me who uses an augmentative and alternative communication (AAC) device (like I do) to communicate. And a bunch of her students didn't think that was possible, so she is getting me to come in and talk to them. She gave me a list of topics to talk about myself and my technology, but I have no idea what to say (I have to write it beforehand so I can program it). I've done this sort of thing before, I've talked using my AAC device at youth conferences about living with a disability and mental health issues, and I've given that same speech to a grade 11 class at a private school in town. But in those instances, my audiences were like 16-20 years old, so I could swear like a trucker, like I do in real life. But the ages for this time are like 11-12, so I guess I probably shouldn't drop any bad words in my speech. How do I talk to little peoples?

In other news, Aggie is laying on my clean laundry. And I'm wondering why I'm always covered in cat hair.

12. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Give the same speech, or a slight variation thereof to take into account what kids that age are into nowadays, and minus the swear words. Kids are a lot brighter than we typically give them credit for, and if your former teacher is as good as you remember her, she will have encouraged her students to ask clarifying questions when needed.

You'll do great. :)

13. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    No, I really can't give that speech, it has nothing to do with the themes of the book (which I read in like 2 hours last night) or the stuff she wants me to talk about. And that speech talked about some really dark stuff. So I'm going to write a new one. But kids are often underestimated in terms of their intelligence and maturity.

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I know I'll be fine.

EDIT: Guess who just won the wedding-shoe battle :) Me! Actually, I must have caught her at a really chill time because I explained to her that my feet have been really bad lately and I played the diabetic card, so she was totally fine with it. We are still going to try to stretch the ones she bought for me a bit more and I might wear them for a few pictures, but according to her "my feet are princesses" so I can wear what I want. As bridezilla as she may get, she really is a reasonable person, most of the time.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Keep fighting the good fight!

I just put in the Philosophy of the Matrix. Felt like watching something cerebral tonight.

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I know that may not sound like much to some people but I know that is great progress. My son has mild cerebral palsy and it was an achievement for him to touch his thumb to his little finger on the same hand. Hang in there. My son had physical therapy for almost ten years and he still goes to the gym with me after school. I know people look at him and don't understand why his bench press is all lopsided, but he is getting stronger everyday. Just keep working with your son and I am sure you will see progress.

Findswoman likes this.
  16. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    Huzzah! Briannakin 1, Bridezilla 0! (Or something along those lines. Maybe Bri 2, Zilla 1? Or Bri 1/2, Zilla 1/2?)

Me, I have piles and piles of music to practice for this weekend, which I can pretty much only do once the little guy is down for the night, and suddenly up prances the Findshusband and begs me to practice karate with him. May it be the will of the Sacred Visionary Mists that I not go stark raving mad!! :eek:

17. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    I'd love to join you for karate practice. I may be a humble yellow belt who is woefully out of practice, but I learn quickly. Show me a kata and I can follow along.

Findswoman likes this.
  18. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    He was so excited because he said, "Mom, I can flex all five! I'll be able to play video games again!" I laughed so hard I cried. So good that your son continues to get stronger. :)

jcgoble3, Findswoman and TrakNar like this.
  19. Goodwood

May 11, 2011
    Well, it looks like the carpeters are going to have to come in and rip up the carpet in the living room and foyer and replace it. Apparently the installers that day misaligned the grain of the carpeting and left a bunch of horrible seams and bad corners. So looks like I'll probably have to dismantle all my computer stuff and new shelves and move them again.

Gotta love home remodeling.

20. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

TrakNar, if only you lived here in Madison! Then you could join my husband's dojo, which is still fairly new and which so far only consists of him (1st black), myself (green—I've only been at this a little over a year), and one other fellow (slightly more advanced green). He'd love to get more folks join eventually, but it's been slow to happen.

I'm really only a green belt by the skin of my teeth—learning kata takes time for me, and I get confused about remembering left vs. right, etc. And I'll say that having one's spouse as one's instructor can be... an interesting challenge sometimes! But on the whole it's really done me good.

21. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That was what I was thinking when you said that...he is going to want to play video games. I bought my son his first PS3 because I thought it would force him to use both hands, but somehow he manages to manipulate every button using only his left hand (his strong hand). I don't know how he does it...but he does. My boy is getting big. He is as tall as his dad...but his mom can still out lift him on the bench press and bicep exercises. But both my sons can do pull ups...which I can't do. My oldest weighs 95 pounds and is in High School but that scrawny kid can climb a rope like a monkey. My goal is to climb the rope to the ceiling of the gym. I used to be able to do that when I was in the Army, but now I am old and not in prime shape.

22. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Having seen some classes around here have discouraged me to get back into karate, as one dojo is too soft, and the other might do weapons training, but I think their courses are geared more toward exercise than actual self-defense. When I was in karate, they taught self-defense in a mixed family class. We got to weapons training and disarming techniques pretty quickly! My niece and nephews' class, though, hasn't even gotten to any of that, and I don't think it's simply due to age, as my class had both little kids and adults.

There's a mixed martial arts dojo in Red Lion that has my interest, due to weapons training. I want to learn self-defense and weapons training. Exercise I can do on my own, but for proper weapons training, it would help to have professional instruction in order perfect my technique.

Maybe it's my old fogey coming in to complain, but it seems that dojos have gotten soft in recent years.

If I lived in Madison, I'd love to join so I could perfect my nunchaku technique.

23. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    It's more like Briannakin 6, Bridezilla 3/4. It may seem like I'm a bit controlling, but I've talked her out of some REALLY STUPID IDEAS. When I talked her into letting us all get the same dress that we all REALLY LIKED (she was very adamant that we all wear different dresses), her sister, who is another bridesmaid texted me: OMG, YOU ARE MY HERO! So, maybe I am a bit controlling, but I'm also standing up for 4 other bridesmaids.

JediMaster_Jen LOL. That's great to hear about your son! I have poor dexterity, but I still manage to kick my brothers' butts in video games :)

24. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Went from watching documentaries about the Matrix to One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Not sure yet what I'll follow that up with.

25. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    I watched a documentary the other day on Stalin to study for my Soviet History exam (it was from the BBC, so fairly trustworthy). I actually learned more from it, than from the class (the prof was just a fill in and SOOO NOT a Soviet or Russian historian).

We used to have Doc Wednesdays in High School where one of the history teachers would show a documentary. I loved them. We watched one on the Holocaust made in the 1970s. I will never view the world the same way after that. By the end we were all in tears and some had to leave the room. I would never watch it again, but it changed my life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.