main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    Anyway, if Plagueis is more powerful than Sidious, it needs to be shown, not told, and "he 's older/the master " doesn't do either. Reassembling his atoms would show that he's more powerful. Another reason to give him the atom reassemnlong ability is to prevent his new apprentice from killing him. If his new apprentice can kill him, things will be way too predictable.

Dra--- likes this.
  2. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Sidious got very lucky and Yoda didn't during that lightning blast. Also, how come Sidious ran away from Yoda when they fighting with lightsabers?

3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    That's because any such thing being mentioned in the film would make an entire audience file out of the theater in complete disgust way before it does happen.

Pro Scoundrel and Dra--- like this.
  4. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_laugh]

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    "& look over there, that's Moraband. The entire planet is one giant living creature"

6. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014

Here's what I'd like to see. Luke has re-established the Jedi Order and has 12 young Jedi he has found and trained. He's now living a retired/hermit life back on Tattooine, meditating and becoming one with the force while he leaves the order in the command of his top student. But one of the 12 is seduced by the dark side, a dark side spirit that we only hear in Ep7. He becomes evil and the other Jedi seek out Luke on Tattooine for help. At the end of Ep7 we discover it is the spirit of Darth Plagueis who is slowly returning from beyond the grave to cheat death as Palpatine said he could in ROTS. So we have an apprentice in the fallen Jedi, and a specter-like master in Plagueis. At the end of Ep8, Plagueis finally takes on physical form again as the big cliffhanger and then Ep9 sees Plagueis and the dark apprentice squaring off against the Jedi, including a young Solo daughter in the final battle.

Dra--- and Darkslayer like this.
  7. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Thanks for appreciating my non-Plagueis idea.

Dra--- and Darkslayer like this.
  8. Rodie

Rodie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2014
    One of the things that made the villain/hero dynamic so powerful in the OT was, obviously, that it became about Father vs. Son. The PT was a mishmash of idea anyway but I guess it came closest to being Master vs Apprentice finally in ROTS. The easiest and most logical way to match this intensity in the ST is to have the villain/hero dynamic be intensely personal because it is Brother vs. Sister. This is why I think, no matter who the master villain is, the apprentice or younger more active villain will be a Skywalker or Solo son and the young hero will be a Skywalker/Solo daughter.

9. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Personally, I hate the idea of the Skywalker family being "cursed".

10. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    Your welcome. And this is coming from the guy who started the serious Plagueis talk around here. [face_laugh]

purplerain likes this.
  11. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I'm sorry but Plagueis shoudn't ever be a ghost. Plagueis didn't care for becoming a ghost and a Palpatine ghost would make far more sense.

Darkslayer, Dra--- and Odolwa like this.
  12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The villain will have to be introduced and resolved within 3 episodes. I don't feel like a fallen Jedi would be aboe to do that. People complained about Dooku's sudden introduction in AOTC. Also, a fallen Jedi would mean that the movie begins villainless, which I don't see them wanting to do.

13. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The EU ruined him by turning him into Gary Stu/Force god of the universe imo. I mean he could kill entire armies on his own or hide planets and such. Those are feats, powers, that destroy any possible tension. So I don't think Abrams will take it this far. Luke will get some asskicking scenes, I'm sure, but he should be far away from any "CW Mace Windu destroys entire army" shenanigans.

Darth Punk likes this.
  14. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Unlike some of the EU, Lucas sees the Sith as an unnatural aberration, not a natural part of the balance. This is demonstrated by the fact that when Father says that too much light is a bad thing, he also says that the Sith "seek to exploit our power".

It also seems to me that when making the OT, Lucas saw things as, "the dark side is evil" but later changed his mind to, "the Sith are evil."

Dra--- likes this.
  15. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    i saw him yesterday - now he just thinks you're evil

Dra--- likes this.
  16. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Again, in light of the Yoda arc, this won't happen. Besides, Sidious didn't believe in it, and Plagueis was only interested in immortality.

Darth_Pevra and Darth Punk like this.
  17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    The Dark Side of the Force has clouded your vision

purplerain likes this.
  18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    Also, another dark Skywalker would be way too predictable.

Anyway, what if Garm Bel Iblis was right and Mothma turns out to be 1000 times as evil as Palpatine?

19. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
  20. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    She'd have to be absolutely bat**** insane to outdo Palpatine. Anyway, there's no way in hell that's going to happen.

21. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    And probably is the best scenario for the villain after Plagueis

22. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Leia going over to the dark side, declares herself Empress, moves the government to Tatooine and sets herself in Jabba's palace and puts Han in his place, frozen in carbonite hanging from the wall.

TKT likes this.
  23. Lando Swarm

Lando Swarm Jedi Master star 2

Aug 9, 2013
    The villain is an infinite series of Hans encased in carbonite, much like in The Prestige.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Will he be played by Hugh Jackman?

TKT likes this.
  25. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    I was reading something recently that was arguing pretty strongly that what made the OT work so well was that the larger political struggles of the Empire vs. Rebellion were personified via the family drama of the Skywalkers -- Vader vs. Luke and Leia. One of the things missing from the PT, the person argued, was that family struggle personifying the growing Republic. The closest we had to family struggle was Anakin and Obi (apprentice vs mentor), Anakin and Padme (husband vs. wife), and Anakin and Palpatine (apprentice vs. mentor/surrogate father). The suggestion of the author was that Palpatine's role as father should have been more emphasized (and he should have had a more direct role in killing Padme -- the symbol of Empire killing the symbol of democracy would have been very powerful), but I think most of us also felt the Anakin and Obi as brothers relationship was also underutilized.

SO, I think I agree that we should return to a more direct family personification of whatever the struggle in the ST is. That means either a struggle between siblings would make sense -- or at the very least, we feel as though the individuals struggling (protagonist vs. antagonist) are as close as family.

It's not that the Skywalkers and Solos are cursed, but that family is the metaphorical frontline of the galactic conflict.

I think this sort of family drama can also work with extended family. So it does make some sense to bring in new Kenobis or Skywalkers or Solos we haven't seen before.

Darth_Pevra and Pro Scoundrel like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.