main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph What book are you reading right now?

Discussion in 'Community' started by droideka27, Aug 31, 2005.

1. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, James Hornfischer's account of WW2's Battle of Leyte Gulf, focusing primarily on the Americans who sailed 2,000 ton destroyers against Japan's 70,000 ton battleships. I'm about half through it now, and so far it has been detailed, personal, inspirational, horrifying, glorious, and heartbreaking.

2. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Just finished "Shep's Army" by Jean Shepherd. Starting "Kenobi" by John Jackson Miller.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I was a great Jean Shepherd fan as a kid. Enjoyed his radio show and I still have a few of his books.

4. SWpants

SWpants Force Ghost star 5

Oct 28, 2004
    Almost done with Quinlan Vos Omnibus

Force Smuggler likes this.
  5. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Paradise Regained

6. OdRevus

OdRevus Jedi Knight star 1

May 16, 2008
    [​IMG]
    So the kids in the GoT thread will stop being such bullies.

Plus I've been wanting to for quite some time.

YodaKenobi likes this.
  7. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A Tale of Two Cities.

Saintheart likes this.
  8. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Just finished Last Call for HMS Edinburgh, history of Royal Navy cruiser on the Russian convoy route during WW2. Pretty good, but not as good as Alistair MacLean's novel HMS Ulysses.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Finished of the Ethshar novel Night Of Madness. It's not bad but is certainly the least of the Ethshar books I have read. And now I turn to an old friend.

[​IMG]

The Companions R.A. Salvatore.

10. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Dead Ever After by Charlaine Harris.

The last Sookie Stackhouse book is turning out to be one of the best. The quality had been decreasing for quite some time.

11. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    I'm on the verge of abandoning The House of the Seven Gables, but I might give it a couple more pages.

However, I can recommend a non-fiction(ish) book I read in between gouging eyes out on Nathaniel Hawthorne, which was impressive enough for me to blow through its 400 pages in roughly 4 total hours:

[​IMG]

Basically, this is the account of Ross Perot's clandestine mission into very-late-and-immediately-post-Shah Iran of 1979 to get two of his employees out of jail. I've not read any Follett to date, although I've got The Pillars of the Earth sitting on my to-read list. However, I've seen enough bits and pieces of The Man From St. Petersberg in other works to form the impression that Follett's firmly cut from the Bestselling Eighties Cold War Novelist mould.

That aside, it's a cracking good read, possibly because the flow of events has a natural pacing to it that puts most fictional bestsellers to shame. As to its historical accuracy, Follett stakes his integrity on this book, and stands by it as a true version of what took place. His research looks to have been extensive. He appends the end of a relevant court decision relating to the subject of the book to buttress this, and reading through the acknowledgments section one can see he's spoken to every medium to major player in the book that he describes events around -- the only real exceptions being former President Jimmy Carter, the Ayatollah Khomeini, and the Iranian magistrate who locked up Perot's two employees to begin with. That is, he cites Iranian government sources as well and gives them their side as well. Is it meant as a historical text? No, not exactly, but I've yet to see a historical text that doesn't have a bias one way or the other either. And unlike, say, your average Michael Moore "book", I've seen little competing material to say it's in any real way historically inaccurate other than from a single biased website whose "reviewer" had not actually read the book. It's well-written and solid, and it's heartily recommended for a book where truth is indeed stranger than fiction.

12. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004
    Wielding a Red Sword by Piers Anthony

13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    X-Wing: Rogue Squadron

14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    You could've found that screencap anywhere!

OdRevus likes this.
  15. emilsson

emilsson Force Ghost star 6

Oct 5, 1998
    I'm just about to finish Mary Doria Russell's The Sparrow and then I intend to start the sequel Children of God. I've read The Sparrow before but I had forgotten what a wonderful novel it is, telling the story of the discovery of a new civilisation on a distant planet. Above all, it's about the impact the existence of life on other planets would have on faith.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    I've been wanting to read that!

Saintheart I haven't read that one, but I enjoyed Pillars of the Earth.

17. King_of_Red_Lions

King_of_Red_Lions Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 28, 2003
    Raising Steam by Terry Pratchett

The new Discworld novel.

18. SWpants

Oct 28, 2004

So far, it's started out more interesting than the 2nd & 3rd ones. Those dragged for the first 50 pages or so, or at least until the link to the first novel set in. In this one, War was pretty interesting from the start.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  19. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    This thread.

20. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    [​IMG]

it's the coffee-table variety, but it's still a book!

slightly_unhinged likes this.
  21. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Lafayette, by Harlow Giles Unger. I was looking for a biography of Lafayette, who's a fascinating figure, and this was one of the best recent offerings; the pickings are disappointingly slim. Unger is a bit of a Lafayette fanboy at times, but that doesn't stop him from offering substantial criticism where relevant. I also wouldn't have argued with the book being a bit longer. But overall, it's a pretty good biography, presenting a thorough recounting of Lafayette's remarkable life as a pivotal figure in the American and French Revolutions. Not a great biography, but quite serviceable for anyone interested in the subject.

22. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I recently read Frank Miller's Holy Terror.

[​IMG]

Bag o' *****.

Avoid.

Ramza Edit: Have to star that out. But I agree.

23. Darth_Furio

Darth_Furio Chosen One star 8

Apr 17, 2008
    Star Wars: The Old Republic: Annihilation

24. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    What does everyone think of the Divergent trilogy by Veronica Roth? I'm on Insurgent and like the books so far.

25. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    'A Feast for Crows', very different from the predecessors. I don't know if I am enjoying it as much but I still have a bit before I get the whole feel for it.