main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 3. Where are you from? What are some of the best parts about where you live?

4. What do you do for a living? Is it your ideal profession, and if not what is?

2. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005

3. I'm an Air Force brat, born in Fairbanks, Alaska, then moved around a few times before ending up currently living in Hampton Roads, Virginia. I've been there when it got to be -60 degrees F, and lived in Tuscon where it has hit +120 a few times. And now in Virginia I get to see 80 degrees and sunny on Sunday, and 30 degrees and rainy Tuesday morning. Eventually I plan to move out of this swamp of a state and go to Denver, with mountains and snow and humidity below 50%. That said, there is some pretty neat stuff here, like the Naval Base, and relatively easy access to the Smithsonian museum and National Zoo up in D.C. (which I need to go back to soon, it's been too long)

4. Currently, I'm job-searching for a paying position. Fun times.

I am a volunteer EMT though, and once I have some income again, I plan to train up to full Paramedic. While it is frustrating to deal with the umpteenth nursing home call for someone with the sniffles, or a 3 AM call for someone who fell a week ago and their back hurts now, I enjoy it, and helping people. And it may sound callous, but car wrecks are awesome. I'm of the opinion that wrecks and bad stuff are going to happen anyways, so I'd like them to happen when I can respond to them and get to go "play." And it's certainly better for the patient that we are there to help.

I'd have to say my absolute idea profession would be one of those Lego engineers that design new kits and build the cool displays. Paramedic is far more likely however.

3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 5. What draws you to Star Wars, or, how did you become a fan? Was the X-Wing series the catalyst of your interest in the franchise?

6. What places have you traveled too? Any favorite locations?

4. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    5. I got into Star Wars in a rather fragmented way. It started with that Rogue Squadron book, and then I caught bits and pieces of Return of the Jedi on TV (usually starting at the rancor pit scene for some reason) Then after one deployment, my dad brought back a copy of the Thrawn Trilogy (I still have that original HttE and Last Command, had to replace DFR when it fell apart). Finally, the library got copies of the trilogy on VHS, so I finally saw the movies. They were awesome, and I was already a sci-fi fan (I would watch the old Doctor Who with my dad on TV, and Jurassic Park the book then movie were my first obsessions). I think what cemented it was the S-Wing games, Star Wars micro-machines, and then the Decipher card game.

6. Unlike some of the world hoppers here, I've been limited to the US and Canada, with a couple minor trips into Nogales, mexico (aka the real life mos eisley) Besides places I've lived, I've been to the fun California cities (San Fran, LA, and San Diego), Chicago, Denver, and D.C rather frequently. Denver is a great city, with lovely mountains and climate. D.C has the Smithsonian, national zoo, and lots of great restaurants, which mostly makes up for the fact that Congress is there too. San Fran and San Diego are beautiful cities on the Pacific, the best of oceans.
    And there are quite a few local places where I used to live. Myrtle Beach has the Boardwalk and Alligator Adventure. Tucson had the Aircraft Boneyard and the Colossal Caverns, and a bit of a drive the Grand Canyon (for some reason, we always went in the winter, and I got a kick out of throwing snowballs into the canyon). Upstate New Your may have been frozen boonies, but Niagra Falls was awesome.

5. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 7. How would you rank the 6 Star Wars films?

8. Who are your top 10 or so favorite SW characters?

6. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Movies
    1. Return of the Jedi
    2. Empire Strikes Back
    3. Revenge of the Sith
    4. A New Hope
    5. Attack of the Clones
    6. Phantom Menace.

Characters
    1. Mara Jade
    2. Wedge Antilles
    3. Han Solo
    4. Gial Ackbar
    5. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    6. Gilead Pellaeon
    7. Jaina Solo
    8. Lando Calrissian
    9. Kyle Katarn
    10. Wes Janson
    11. Ahsoka Tano

My Bottom 5 characters, in no real order:
    Boba Fett
    Saba Sebatyne
    Natasi Daala
    Jacen Solo/Darth Caedus
    Kal Skirata

Kylun likes this.
  7. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson Hm, I sense a pattern in your least favorite characters. :p

9. What other franchises do you like besides SW and which are you most passionate about?

10. What are your favorite non-SW TV shows/movies?

8. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    The franchises I am most passionable about would probably be:
    Community (Jeff&Annie forever!)
    Warhammer 40K
    Archer
    Castle (one of the few shows I have been watching from day 1, and didn't get into it a couple seasons late)
    Stargate SG-1
    Civilization (Beyond Earth coming out in the fall!)
    My Little Pony: FiM
    Honorverse
    Discworld

As for favorite shows and movies, besides the above, well there are a lot
    Jurassic Park
    Indiana Jones trilogy (there are only 3 movies!)
    Elementary
    Bones
    Top Gear (US first, then UK is almost as good)
    Big O
    Cowboy Bebop
    GitS Stand Alone Complex
    Venture Brothers
    Animal Planet's Too Cute (just the kitty ones, puppies are meh)
    Leverage
    Fringe
    Farscape
    Firefly
    Futurama
    basically any sci-fi show starting with an F apparently
    Angel/Buffy
    NCIS
    Babylon 5
    Battlestar Galactica (old and new)
    Chuck
    House
    Scrubs
    How I Met Your Mother
    (and then ran back to my first love when she died, throwing away 6 years worth of character development for both of us. Thanks Finale!)
    Hmm, that last bunch all unfortunately have endings or final seasons that throw away a lot of the goodwill of the otherwise awesome series.

I also like making lists. Obviously.

9. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 11. What are your favorite novels, books, and short stories, both in and out of SW?

12. What are your favorite comics and graphic novels, both in and out of SW?

10. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Again with the lists! :D

11. Novels. I have quite a few, I love reading and tend to read fast, so a have near a wall of my room with books of various sorts. And at this point, I have read probably most the interesting fiction books, and some of the interesting non-fiction books from my local library. Then there is fanfic online to add something new when I don't feel like reading one of my paper-books for the 4th or more time.
    Jurassic Park/Lost World
    Honorverse
    Discworld series
    Castle novels
    Warhammer 40K novels (especially the Ciaphas Cain series)
    Dune series
    Raptor Red

12.Was never a big comics reader when I was growing up. The only one I collected was the awesome G.I.Joe run by Larry Hama. Since then, I have picked up quite a few SW comics (KotOR, Rogue Squadron, TTT adaptaions, and Tag and Bink are the best.) and slowly adding Ultimate Spider-Man. Plus there are the comic continuations of Buffy, Angel, Farscape, and Firefly, and some pretty good MLP comics.

11. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Are you not distinguishing between Jacen and JINO/Caedus, or do you dislike NJO Jacen equally?

12. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    No, I'm not a fan of NJO Jacen. I never really got invested in him through the YJK books like a lot of others. I didn't mind his pacifism approach at first, but then he kept going despite getting himself first in trouble trying to rescue a bunch of slaves and having to be rescued by Luke, then he started pushing his pacifist agenda on others, to the point where he essentially ordered Anakin to stand down on Centerpoint, resulting in Thracken taking a poorly aimed shot that resulted in massive friendly fire and Thracken being elevated to a hero. And still thinking that he did the right thing. And I never fell in love with Traitor (or Stover in general. I find him alright, but not among my favorite SW authors. Maybe ahead of Stackpole, but behind Zahn, Daley, Lucento, Allston, and Crispin)

Jedi Ben and DigitalMessiah like this.
  13. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 13. What are some of your favorite foods? Any favorite alcoholic beverages?

14. What was your reaction to the announcement of Disney's purchase of Star Wars, and what are your hopes for the ST?

14. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.​
    The Dude: And, you know, he's got emotional problems, man.​
    Walter Sobchak: You mean … beyond pacifism?​

I'm obligated to quibble with the characterization of Jacen's stance as pacifism.

15. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    Oh, got to go with good Italian. Fettuccine Alfredo by far. Though I really should give it up, or at least have it less often than I do if I plan to get in better shape. As for drinks, I keep it simple. No fine wines, or scotches, or any of that. Good ol Yuengling for me.

I honestly haven't had much of a reaction. I've lost a lot of my investment in the SW franchise thanks to the post NJO Del Rey. When warhammer 40K books feel less Grimdark than LotF or FotJ, something is seriously wrong.
    I don't think being a part of Disney will mean too much change, as Marvel is under Disney, as is Pixar, and they are doing fine with regards to movies.
    My best case scenario for the Sequel trilogy would be a movie adaptation of the Thrawn Trilogy. It won't happen. I just want Mara Jade to make it to the big screen (and not a knock off version either), and maybe a few other characters, like Pellaeon.

Sure, but pacifism is a rather handy shorthand for his beliefs and actions in the beginning of the NJO. It may differ on various nuances.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. DigitalMessiah

Feb 17, 2004
    DONT GET ME STARTED BRO [face_mischief]

AdmiralWesJanson likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 15. Based on the promotional material what are your thoughts on Rebels?

16. What are some of your favorite quotes? (Fictional/said by real people, etc.)

18. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    15. I'm looking forwards to it. I liked Clone Wars, and this has both Classic era stuff and Greg from Gargoyles working on it, so I have high hopes. I am hoping that some of the Clone Wars characters return (Ahsoka, Barriss, Cad Bane: Duros, Hondo) Not sure I get Disney XD though. I'll have to check.

16. Umm. I have a ton of quotes I like. I had a word document that I would post quotes, but it seems that external hard drive has been dead for a while without me noticing :mad:
    Guess I'll just go with the one that popped into my head right now:
    "Wherever you go, there you are." -Buckaroo Banzi
    And the logical followup:
    "Well. Here I am." -Jubal Early, Firefly.

Ooh. Not a quote, but today's XKCD is particularly awesome:

Language.

blackmyron likes this.
  19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Can never quibble with the man who quotes Buckaroo Banzai.

20. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    It looks like you need to read more european comics

Jedi Ben likes this.
  21. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    ^^ Unfortunately, a good amount of Americans who do read comics tend not to even be aware of most European comics.

AdmiralWesJanson 17. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

18. If you could live on any planet in the GFFA, what would that be?

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I can suggest some good American published European comics

23. AdmiralWesJanson

May 23, 2005
    17. Force Heal. On the selfish side, I could heal myself and probably live a lot longer. On the selfless side, I'm an EMT, and it would be really handy for dealing with the more severe trauma and medical patients. Though for the patients who call at 3 AM for nausea that has been going on for a week already, and decided now was a good time to go to the hospital, Jedi Mind trick would be handy...

18. Corellia. High Tech, but not too overbuilt. 5 worlds and a space station to explore without leaving the system. And it seems to have mostly been unscathed by the various wars. It's been blockaded a few times, but it even seemed to make it through the Vong crisis in good shape. And the people are more laid back in general.

COMPNOR likes this.
  24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    As can I, although the bigger problems for the European stuff is:

Translation: Getting better though.
    Availability: There's a new push from the likes of Cinebook and Titan on this front.
    Price: Material tends to be relatively pricier compared to the standard comic prices and is way outside of the "mainstream" bracket of superheroes.
    Schedule: The idea of an album being done every 1-2 years would baffle your standard comic reader who's used to 22 pages a month, or even a trade every 6 months, regardless of production values.

That said, all of these are changing and the stuff can be gotten via the Evil Empire Emporium (Amazon) if need be, or alternatives perhaps.

25. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    AdmiralWesJanson 19. If you could meet any three people involved in SW, living or deceased, whom would you meet and why?

20. What are your favorite SW video games? What are your thoughts on the future of SW games under EA?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.