main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Apropos of Nothing - ACKBAR IN CAPITALS - The Lit Forum Social Thread, v2.0.15

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Master_Keralys, Jan 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    Just finished ACII. Holy crap, what a terrific end boss. Not because it was hard, but because they went out of their way to make it as epic as possible, building up through a sneak-'n'-shank on the rooftop of the Vatican until you try to assassinate the Pope in the middle of High Mass. And he shrugs off your blade like it tickles him! And then you chase the old man down and get into a fistfight until he collapses! And I made it better by kitting out in Altair's armor and sword before I went to Roma as well, though I lacked the collectables you get from finding those stupid feathers. I did complete everything else, though, including the DLC where you take down Savonarola after he's taken over Florence.

The end ending, though...

[​IMG]

2. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    ...Nah, I won't post the kitten version.

Besides, it contributes only kittens to the conversation. It only relates because it's basically the same meme. I have nothing to contribute but kittens.

Oh hell.

[​IMG]

I'll go back to playing Pokemon...

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Awww, the kittens are cute, TrakNar. :D

TrakNar likes this.
  4. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    When in doubt...

Kittens.

5. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Works for me. Fluffy adorableness is a win. :)

6. patchworkz7

patchworkz7 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 26, 2004
    Anyone read X-men or Marvel comics?

Anyone else think the amount of lampshading Bendis is doing in regards to Hank McCoy and the murder of the Watcher may mean that Dark Beast is still around (note: I have NO IDEA if Dark Beast is still around...I'd assumed he was dead...ISTR a plot in a previous X-Force iteration being that evil Nightcrawler was hunting all the Age of Apocalypse refugees), but I'm interested in what Marvel is doing now, and Bendis showed how to do a slow burn with his X-Men comics while keeping interest up.

Meanwhile...Wood's X-Men title just kinda fizzled. There was the out of character moments like Rachel sleeping with John Sublime and then a complete collapse of the Sisterhood storyline. I don't know if it's personal issues or what but his output lately has all suffered from weak follow-through

7. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    The present story in AC is crap, don't invest in it, you'll be better for it.

Now you must go onto the pinnacle of the series that is Brotherhood....

I read Marvel in trade Patch but have only kept up with X-Factor and the end of the Madrox-Layla arc was a good jumping off point.

Your assessment of Wood's X-Men tallies with a good many other comments I've heard. In contrast I've heard a whole lot of praise for Bendis' run and with the upcoming Cyclops series by Rucka, the Magneto series, of which the first couple of issues have been well-received and Milligan and Lafuente's Doop that takes the piss out of Battle of the Atom, I'm now inclined to catch up. Oh and Corsair's no longer a corpse, always a plus! All that is convincing me to grab the Panini trades, all 6 of 'em, to catch up.

8. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You have something against Minerva? I thought she was cool. :(

Missa ab iPhona mea est.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Just got finished watching The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug with a girl from my church. She hadn't seen it before; I'd only seen it once, in theaters. This time was no less intense at the end; my heart was pounding, expecting it to continue. Really, despite my hating the fact that we have 8 months to go until the sequel, this is one of the absolute best cliffhanger endings...ever. The girl just sat there waiting, and then the credits rolled and she gasped and said, "That's it?" Can't wait for There and Back Again (or, as rumors say the title will be changed to, Into the Fire). :cool:

10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    When we saw that in December, my kids argued all the way home about whether Smaug was still alive.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  11. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Did they watch a different movie than the rest of us?

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  12. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sorry. I meant whether he still would be at the end of the next movie.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  14. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Having read the book, I know how it'll end but it's still annoying to have that kind of a cliffhanger that you have to wait a year to resolve. :p

Plus, the Legolas vs. Bolg subplot, and the Tauriel/Kili thing, which were not in the book.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    So I was listening to the commentaries from the previous season of Game of Thrones and I noticed something that jogged a memory of mine.

Here's a screenshot from GoT:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture I took in 2008.

[​IMG]

Now, I know King's Landing is filmed in Dubrovnik but I didn't realize that the Red Keep's garden loggia where so many conversations happen is an actual specific place I've been!

16. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I was going to ask if she was from the SciFi Dune Miniseries, but she doesn't have a hat, so she probably isn't.

17. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    You're thinking of:

[​IMG]

MercenaryAce and Gorefiend like this.
  18. King of Alsakan

King of Alsakan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 25, 2007
    Some new Kevin Conroy Batman goodness based on the Arkham games:

19. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Actually the AoA Nightcrawler - not actually evil, but just somewhat selfish - ended up with Dark Beast to try to get home, almost destroyed the multiverse, and sacrificed himself. Dark Beast last showed up (as far as I'm aware) at the end of Astonishing X-Men's run, was captured again and presumably in back in jail.

His earlier X-Men work suffered similarly - a weird plot that went nowhere and ended abruptly.

But you know what? Deadpool is actually going strong - by issue #27, the original series had derailed badly. And Peter David's X-Factor is up to his usual standards. Plus, there's the loooong game being played out in Uncanny Avengers where it looks like Kang is about to play everyone - or was from the very beginning.

20. Cynical_Ben

Cynical_Ben Force Ghost star 4

Aug 12, 2013
    A Suicide Squad/Batman crossover? Set in the Arkham games universe? Sold.

Gorefiend and darthscott3457 like this.
  21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I really don't see the resemblance

22. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012

Year Zero - It begins from now

23. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Well, the community finale has finally grown on me. Now for them to announce season 6! #sixseasonsandamovie! #Jeffandannieforever! #saynotoasteroids!

24. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    It's about the shape of the bodice, yes?

25. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    GrandAdmiralJello

My copy of the Three TPB has arrived, probably read it in the next day or so but just from flicking through I think you may have to consider it checking it out, how many comic books have a section of historical notes at the back plus interview with a classics expert? Will sling a review up here anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.