main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Luke Skywalker's New (or Old) Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Dra---, Aug 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014

One thing that would make sense, I think, would be for Luke to be not necessarily weak, but somehow out of action when VII starts. Living more like OT Yoda or Ben, lightsaber packed away, meditating, quiet. Maybe Luke and R2 fixing up an old ship/speeder somewhere. "Zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance." But then when duty calls, it's time to shave that beard and get back in the cockpit....

Immortiss, KevinM1 and purplerain like this.
  2. KevinM1

KevinM1 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 15, 2012

I can't help but wonder if that's why there's a scene or two on Tatooine. I mean, from the OT, Luke seems interested in training Leia (likely in part just to make sure she's safe from succumbing to the Dark Side), but I'm not sure if Luke ever had the desire to usher in a new Jedi Order on his own.

He basically had two lives - moisture farmer on Tatooine, and on-the-run Jedi-in-training. I can see him wanting to return to the first after everything he went through (getting mauled on Hoth, losing a hand, finding out his father was the second most evil person in the galaxy, etc.). Him living a simple life, as far removed from the demands of The Force (hello, desert planet) as possible makes a lot of sense to me. It would also mirror (and we know how much Lucas loved mirroring things) the ANH setup.

3. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008

well he did it in the eu and i think it worked well

4. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Yes, but you have a lot more latitude in what you can get away with in a book vs what you can get away with in a movie.

5. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    What bothers me about going back to Tatooine is that it's come to be "just there." Jabba's palace is on Tatooine because... it just is. Anakin could have grown up on any planet, with his family immigrating to Tatooine in ROTS to hide, but instead, nope, we gotta go back. It's kind of a bland place whose whistle-stop nature has come to mean little.

I hope if we go back yet again, we find something less than obvious -- maybe we can see the prosperity brought by the New Republic by some gentrification and Abu Dhabi-style luxury towers. Evidence of a battle there, as the spy photo suggests, would be good, too.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Zuckuss the Ruckuss Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2013

While that I agree that it was incredibly lazy(not to mention nonsensical)for Anakin to be a native of Tatooine. That doesn't to apply to Luke. Luke's identity is very much tied to that planet.

KevinM1 and rdhight like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Maybe something force related is revealed in Tatooine?

8. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Perhaps it is where Luke has his own Jedi Temple.

9. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    who in their right mind would put a jedi temple on a hot desert planet?

10. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    If the Jedi aren't on Yavin, will poor Exar Kun be trapped there forever?

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Anyone know why Luke's face was not disfigured by Palpatine's force lightening?

12. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    because Luke didn't absorb its power

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Darth_Plagueis

Dra--- likes this.
  13. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Thanks, I think I'll read Plagueis next. I'm currently reading Kenobi, but I'm not getting into it. Might ditch it - what do people reckon?

14. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    well the academy was in Yavin. foresty is better lol. But it would teach the jedi to be able to survive in any environment. Coruscant is too soft

plaidphoenix likes this.
  15. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

Geesh, what a lame, and lazy explanation.

16. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    A potential Jedi Temple would make sense on any planet rich with life (and therefore with Force as well) or some place that is "strong with the Force" in a more abstract, unexplained sense.
    That's why a Temple on Yavin would make sense. Just like one on Dagobah for example. Luke had training there and it provides a "Force-rich" environment plus a quite a few challenges of just surviving in that swamp/jungle.

purplerain likes this.
  17. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008
    I have alwasy been told on this forum that Luke deflected the first wave of lighting with the force, but when i watch the movie i dont see that. it boils down to that they needed him to look good for the future. You cant have a disfigured hero

18. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    The idea that force lightning can disfigure someone didn't exist until sometime during the making of ROTS. AOTC publicity photos of Palpatine suggest that he was slowly disfigured.

Dra--- and The Hellhammer like this.
  19. Zuckuss the Ruckuss

Jan 5, 2013

This.

rdhight, plaidphoenix and purplerain like this.
  20. JediMatteus

Sep 16, 2008

some say that Palpatine was not disfigured by the reflected lightning, but from massive force use, ala Luke in Dark nest.

21. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    This is what I thought when I saw AOTC.

And lets face it, for the hero, this:
    [​IMG]

works better that this:
    [​IMG]

22. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    It's just one of those inconsistencies that are caused by out-of-the-universe reasons that, to be honest, no one but hardcore fans really care about. I wouldn't read too much into it.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  23. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    Actually, as it's Luke it makes perfect sense. He makes the Jedi's train, they get sweaty, he collects the moisture

Genius

rdhight and purplerain like this.
  24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

Who in their right mind would live on a desert planet with two suns? :p

25. Dameron

Apr 8, 2014
    Well the bigger issue is that Tatooine is a Hutt-controlled planet. It would be like building a monastery between a racetrack and Tony Soprano's house.

Come to think of it, doesn't the EU make Jabba's palace a monastery that he took over? Maybe the moral is, "Don't build your monastery on this planet, for Pete's sake."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.