main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Does anyone else actually like Anakin's "NOOOO" added in ROTJ?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Seagoat, Feb 8, 2014.

1. TheChosenSolo

TheChosenSolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 9, 2011
    Let's just say, it's a good thing I don't own a Blu-ray player.

solo77 likes this.
  2. royalguard962.0

royalguard962.0 Jedi Youngling

Apr 3, 2014
    I didn't expect it, but it's also consistent with Lucas's filmmaking philosophy.

The ROJ "noooo" rhymes/echoes with his ROTS "noooo." They provide a bookend of his life in the suit. His first emotional reaction was learning of Padme's death, the last his act of saving his son. When viewed from a complete 1-6 perspective, the addition is consistent and appropriate, given the storyteller.

Andy Wylde and Seagoat like this.
  3. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    In that light, it could've been done without the first, low "Noo...." that should have let Palpatine know that he was about to grab him.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  4. Deckiller

Deckiller Jedi Padawan

Apr 9, 2014
    The reason I get upset over some of these changes is fear of how future people will perceive Star Wars. I fear that 20-30 years from now, people are going to laugh at the prequel trilogy and not get to experience the true magic of the original trilogy, because they know the big reveals and will see some of the changes and laugh.

Han Solo loses his edge by not shooting first.
    Vader's redemption loses its edge by adding stupid nonsense like "noooo".
    The sarlacc kind of looks silly now.
    The Jabba scene makes his reveal in ROTJ less impactful.

We're just worried about the legacy of our beloved franchise.

Both this "nooo" and the one in ROTS are cartoonish. I don't want these movies to seem like silly superhero films from the 90s or something.

Sarge likes this.
  5. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    ^^
    Fully agree. When I show my kids Star Wars for the first time it's gonna be 4, 5, 6 (original versions) then 1, 2 ,3.

Oh wait, but then there will also be 7, 8, 9 too

6. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    How? They shoot at pretty much the same time. There's no feasible way Solo could have reacted to the shot. Aside from that, he was already drawing his gun. It's obvious that his intention was to kill

It isn't objectively nonsense. Someone who's watching for the first time and doesn't know about the unaltered versions wouldn't even think twice about it.

So you preferred it as a hole in the ground? That's fine. To each their own.

Uh... except we already have seen him in TPM. I don't really think his ROTJ first appearance is supposed to be much of an impact

Andy Wylde likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    For those of us who remember 1983, the first appearance of Jabba the Hutt was pretty damn big. So big that I was ready to tell my middle-school classmates to STFU about it already.

I don't care that much about seeing him in ANH, I could take or leave it. But the PP's assertion about the way future generations view Star Wars is valid. I don't want my grandchildren thinking that Vader always screamed "NOOOO!" in ROTJ.

8. little.green.dude

little.green.dude Jedi Youngling

Mar 24, 2014
  9. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Actually I think they should keep the first, low "No" and ditch the "Nooooo!" The first "No" sounds like a dude about to tear something apart–the way he should sound when he's about to throw down the guy who's hurting his son. The second "Nooooo!" sounds like it's from the final scene in a bad school play. I would prefer that neither no be in it, but if it came down to it I'd keep the low, growled "No" and ditch the "Nooooo!"

10. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Hmm, to each his own I guess. If I were to really go with how I felt about it, though, just abandon the "No" there altogether, forget about tying it to ROTS.

Force Smuggler and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Well that's my feeling too; I'm just saying if the "No" absolutely had to be there, keep the first and ditch the second. But yeah, I'd definitely say I'd prefer to just abandon it completely. It's unnecessary and tacky.

12. ElanMars

ElanMars Jedi Master star 1

Dec 14, 2000
    Friends and I joked that further changes to the OT George would apply, would have Vader yelling that awful "NOOOO" from ROTS...

......and then it happened, for real. Very depressing haha.

It's too bad for the special editions and the prequels, George didn't have someone like Gary Kurtz to smack some sense into him, and smack some of the stupidity out....George was surrounded by too many "yes, master" people...

13. Mzukiller

Mzukiller Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 5, 2012
    I've never noticed.

Andy Wylde likes this.
  14. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    no... it's god awful. worst change. i'm fine with every other change.

15. Chrome Hot Rodsky

Chrome Hot Rodsky Jedi Youngling

Oct 19, 2013
    I saw it for the first time this year (avoided seeing the Blu-ray edition for so long) and I was absolutely horrified. But then I thought it made sense with the emasculation of Anakin in the prequels. Before the prequels I imagined Anakin as a man who chose evil as his greater good, so to speak. Throwing Palpatine down the shaft was a monumental act of redemption that legitimately ended the reign of the Sith. But the mistake Lucas made in storytelling was that Anakin never chose evil at all. He reluctantly chose to be subservient to Sidious which included killing the Younglings with a tear in his eye. Vader was definitively evil in ESB, an archetype of darkness and sadism. If Lucas had Anakin knowingly murder Padme as the sacrifice needed to make a true Sith, that would have created the legendary Vader of ESB, the one we would think could NEVER be redeemed in RotJ (which is the story I still prefer to believe in my own revisionist fan fiction.) The twins could have been saved by Obi-Wan's haste in getting her body to a med facility and his willpower in the Force. But, in the end, Palpatine never ensured that Vader betrayed his loved ones in Sith manner (and wouldn't the birth of her babies give Padme the will to LIVE?). Vader was still emotionally attached to Padme at the end of RotS and it creates the perfect context for Vader to make that cowardly protest to save Luke, but it takes away the meaning that Vader is overcoming the Dark Side and ridding the galaxy of the Sith.

Darth__Lobot and Sarge like this.
  16. My young Padawan

My young Padawan Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 13, 1999
    I don't mind any of the changes that George Lucas made to his films. I don't even mind Greedo shooting first.

17. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    I thought I would hate it. For the longest time I wouldn't even watch it. Then I did. And you know what... it wasn't a big deal. It was about 2 seconds of screen time and did little to hinder the scene. On the flip side... It added nothing to the scene & did little to improve it either. So... was it needed? Absolutely not. Am I gonna cry the rape of my childhood? No. I'm not a loser.

Darth Raiden and darth ladnar like this.
  18. cbagmjg

cbagmjg Jedi Knight star 3

Jul 12, 2006
    That 2 second change is worse than Jabba in ANH? It's worse than the terrible looking additions to the Max Rebo Band & Sarlaac Pit in ROTJ? Greedo shooting first? I think altering a scene to the point of it looking silly and/or cartoonish is much worse than adding a 2 letter word that takes up a second or 2 of screen time... at most.

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    But it messes with the finale of a movie. I would say Saga but that is gone now. What change of the one's you've listed do that?

20. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003

yes. i'm saying i'm fine with them.

21. TheChosenSolo

Dec 9, 2011
    Hey, the 97 SE changes to ROTJ were pretty much fine all the way around. Endor Celebration, the Sarlacc actually looks threatening now, heck I even enjoy Jedi Rocks.

Darth Raiden and FRAGWAGON like this.
  22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Maybe like the '97 "NOOOOO", this one will also be removed in the next edition.

Sarge likes this.
  23. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Here's hoping.

24. Darth Nerdling

Darth Nerdling Force Ghost star 4

Mar 20, 2013
    If the 2 "No's" Vader says in ROTJ were there from the very beginning, I don't think anyone would care a bit. Luke's "No-o-o-o!" in TESB is far worse and it didn't ruin Vader's revelation that he's Luke's father. I do think it's better without the added "No's", and it was a little jarring to see it when I was used to seeing it the other way, but now it seems fine. The scene's music is so loud and the drama so intense that I often don't even notice the change.

Andy Wylde and Alexrd like this.
  25. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    As if a million voices suddenly cried out in terror and went, "no", followed by "nooooooo!!!"?

FRAGWAGON, Darth Raiden and Seagoat like this.