main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Who's The Baddie?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by fishtailsam, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I have the most original idea for the villain combo... Palpatine and another Skywalker or Solo. I know you're all amazed at the insane originality! :p Seriously though this has been my belief for a little bit now and I'm sticking to it. Adam Driver as Solo turned Sith and Palpatine in a kind of Sauron/Voldemort type role.

Dra--- and Mystery Roach like this.
  2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002

That's my point. It would be repetitive and unoriginal.

And again, I can only see imperials if they're led by another Sith Lord again.

Regardless of what we want, it's a given that there will be Sith involved. Disney won't gamble their new bankroll on something else. You can bet on that.

3. purplerain

purplerain Jedi Knight star 4

Sep 14, 2013
    My idea is that an inquisitor discovers a group of Massassi and uses them as an army to attack.

Dra--- likes this.
  4. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Unless there's several of these inquisitors, I can't imagine that this Pau'an character will survive past Rebels.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  5. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    I meant a different inquisitor, not an already established one.

Dra--- likes this.
  6. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

Jun 8, 2002
    Well, it's possible that there will be a few of these guys, so who knows?

Anyway, even if there are, I still don't think they'll live past Rebels. Nor the heroes of the show, too.

7. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    If anybody's using repetition as a reason why something is unlikely to happen, they must be watching a different saga than I am.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
  9. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    This new interview by Kinberg suggests that it's possible they will mine the EU for ideas or inspiration. Maybe even a villain ?

Dra--- and HL&S like this.
  10. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    He was talking about spin offs...

11. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    Still, it could point to their general attitude & open mindedness towards the EU. Or not, just thought it was worth a listen. Had some interesting comments.

12. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I don't think there's anything innately bad/wrong in them willing to steal (or be influenced by) ideas/designs from the EU. But I'd imagine the villain/villains for the ST to be a direct creation of Lucas.

13. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    But what can Lucas do that hasn't been done in the EU before?

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR likes this.
  14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    That's the 60 million dollar question. Maybe we can't think of it bcs it's nothing we can think of, if you know what I mean.

15. purplerain

Sep 14, 2013
    There's a difference between "the EU already did that" and "the idea came from the EU".

16. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    I'm not sure it's about wether Lucas can do something that's not already been touched upon in the EU (as you allude to - the EU is already expansive), but rather it will be a character/characters devised by Lucas that are new to the canon. For example, I'm sure Lucas may very well bring in a new Sith... but I'm almost certain it won't be Darth Krayt etc. If it's an imperial, I would expect it to be an all new character and not Thrawn.

17. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    The last villains Lucas invented were Darth Dracula and Mr Spiderarms. Maybe his next inventions are a Dr Frankenstein (complete with ridiculous amount of Sith lightning that fail to impress) and a tentacle monster who wields three saber staffs. Because the more over the top force and lightsabers, the better, right?

Boy am I happy that Abrams is on the project.

Dra--- and Scummy_and_Villainous like this.
  18. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    Okay, I have a question for those of you who are convinced that Darth Plagueis will/should be the Sequel trilogy villain. I haven't partaken of any of the EU material surrounding him -- all I really know about him is the speech or parable delivered by Sidious. From these boards, I gather the idea is that he has some dark Force power that is biological in nature, and that he will reconstitute himself after being thought dead for decades, and possibly then have to be killed "double dead" so he can't do the same again.

So if you're a Plagueis believer... what will he do, on-screen in this movie, that others couldn't or wouldn't do? Does he use special lightsaber skills or other combat tricks? Is the idea that he will use his ability to "create life" to make some new and awesome monsters? Is he an old, hooded sage like Sidious? Does he have superhuman physical capabilities?

I'm not anti-Plagueis. The speech about him was sinister and well done. But when I think back to that speech, I don't go "Oh yeah, I want him to be the next bad guy! So cool!"

What is he going to do -- on-screen, not in the greater web of EU connections and explanations -- that makes him so great?

Dra--- likes this.
  19. Darth PJ

Jul 31, 2013
    Given that Lucas created Vader, Tarkin, the Emperor, Jabba, Boba Fett, Maul, Tyrannus and Grievious... I'd pretty much defer to him every single time. I'm struggling to think of any iconic villain that JJ has been responsible for... Oh yes... Khan.

20. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    The villains I bolded were invented thirty years ago.

Maul's design wasn't invented by Lucas, btw., only the character of which wasn't very much to speak off. Maul was most popular for his design, not his sparkling personality.

Recently Lucas isn't really a shining beacon of good ideas. He was allegedly the one who wanted aliens in Indy 4 and he was also responsible for such "stellar" villains as Tyrannus and Grievous... Additionally he almost managed to ruin Palpatine for me with having him behave like a total lunatic.

I would prefer Khan to that. He was boring, but at least he wasn't offending like Grievous was.

Dra--- and Scummy_and_Villainous like this.
  21. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I actually still prefer Lucas ideas. He had some solid one for Clone Wars tv series, and even the ideas they did not take from him would have made the show better if they had. That is getting off topic as is the vernal bashing of Lucas creativity as far as I am concerned. I do like Abrams I just also happen to like Lucas.

To whoever asked what Plageuis could do on screen, very valid question. If they chose him as a villain I could see his role as being more mystical with the force in nature. Whoever the villain is, I think the danger will be the very existence of the force itself. I have become convinced of this after finally watching the Clone Wars series.

Immortiss and Dra--- like this.
  22. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    He was responsible for the droid and the youngling arc in season 5 of TCW, the weakest of the entire season. He also brought Maul back, proving that he isn't even consistent with his own decisions because he had him killed in TPM. Ahsoka as Anakin's padawan was also his idea, which worked but could've gone either way.

Those are at least the stories that I know were Lucas ideas. What other major ideas did he conceive for TCW?

Anyways, a mechanized tentacle monster villain is pretty similar to another villain Lucas already invented, General Grievous, that ludicrous creature. And count Drakula is not at all far off from Dr Frankenstein, another classical horror villain? So who's saying that those aren't the kind of villains that could be in the treatment? Maybe Lucas also thought it was cool to show earth in SW just like he thought aliens were a good fit for Indy. He is super-unpredictable in an imo bad way.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  23. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    We don't agree which is fine, but it seems silly to waste effort on bashing Lucas. It just gets old to me after awhile. I won't try and change your opinion though. I enjoy his ideas and I will leave it at that.

As for discussing the actual topic, for this theorizing an alien invasion, do you think that storyline would risk making it a generic science fiction film, and put at risk what makes Star Wars so unique?

24. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Fair enough.

Not a huge fan of it. Firstly, it was already attempted in the NJO and that storyline was a spectacularly bad one. Secondly I think that the SW galaxy itself would be huge enough to explore. There's still enough room to expand it and deepen it. So I see no real reason to venture beyond it yet.

Doing another galaxy only would make sense to me if it is markedly different from the old one and if the old one has already grown a bit stale. Then it could bring a breeze of fresh air, especially if the good aspects and bad aspects of the old galaxy (=society) and the new one are pitted against each other.

But first this galaxy needs to be fleshed out more, because we actually know painfully little about how the normal Joe lives in the galactic republic. Or how the political system is now. We only know some about life on Tatooine, but it wasn't even part of the old republic.

Dra--- likes this.
  25. Fleab88

Sep 12, 2012
    Agreed. However, I think the average Joe story should be saved for spinoffs. I want those trilogy to be a true continuation of the story we have seen. A focus on average Joe could conflict with that I think.

Darth Chiznuk and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.