main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Jedi Code article XVII, section 4:

There is no perspiration, there is only the Force.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  2. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Coming soon Ax Jedi Strong With The Force body spray.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  3. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Obviously as I have already said multiple times it is about the sweat as a non-verbal cue representing fear. No one complained about simple perspiration. I guess if that was your interpretation of the scene you thought the planet spontaneously got several degrees hotter and that's why he went from no perspiration to covered in it so quickly as he heard Grievous draw near? I guess there's nothing to disprove that interpretation but it seems like a stretch to me.

C'mon people, if you want to debate my points get them right, don't make them up.

4. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Um, we're joking around. At least I was.

5. Heero_Yuy

Heero_Yuy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 28, 2000
  6. Vezner

Vezner Force Ghost star 5

Dec 29, 2001
    I 100% agree. The episode with Mace Windu against what could have practically been the entire separatist droid army was laughable. If a single Jedi could do what he did, the war wouldn't have come close to making it past Geonosis in Ep 2. Just saying.

On the other hand, TCW is highly enjoyable and fits in with the films much better IMO. In many ways, I consider TCW some of the best Star Wars material to grace the TV or silver screen in quite some time.

AshiusX and cwustudent like this.
  7. Darth Koo

Darth Koo Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 9, 2013
    I hated 2003 series. The art work just sucked, and it what made me stop watching it.. The art was ok with Samurai Jack, but not with SW. And the 2003 series did make the Jedi look stupid. I mean if you are that powerful why do you even need clones to began with. It should also take a few Jedi to kill Sidious with what was shown in 2003.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Probably because the Jedi aren't as high in numbers.

But that Mace fight was awesome IMO. And I think the second strongest Jedi Master surviving a droid army is easier to believe than a 14-year-old Padawan surviving Grievous..

9. Why_So_Serious

Why_So_Serious Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 27, 2013
    Ok. May I ask why not being total robots immune to emotion under even the most trying circumstances is an affront to the dignity of the Jedi Council?

10. Contessa

Contessa Jedi Master star 3

Nov 28, 2013
    I don't know about anybody else, but it always just seemed to me like he was sweaty because there was just this enormous battle happening before we come into it. Like, everybody there looks super ragged and exhausted, it's not really surprising that they're going to be drenched. It just read to me like he was really worn down and now really not looking forward to fighting a dude who seems cool with personally hunting down a bunch of Jedi when he's got half a million droids that could just wash over them. That's not exactly confidence inspiring, right? The only dude who seemed legit afraid though was Sha'a Gi, the Padawan. And honestly when Mundi ran to grab him from running out and ran into Grievous for the first time (the dude's a seven foot tall demonic-looking metal skeleton, that is definite wtf material right there) his response is to take a "come get it" stance and then lead everybody into a 360 defensive stance. I'm just saying that he may have been a little freaked out by this new creepy-ass dude straight out of robo hell that nobody's ever seen or fought before, but he had his head in the game, sweat or no sweat.

11. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    I'm a big Genndy fan (really looking forward to Popeye, he was the perfect choice for director) and I love the micro series but really, at this point, with The Citadel, Umbarra, Mortis, Slave arc, Onderon, Order 66, the Yoda arc behind us, is there even a discussion to be had here? The micro series was really good for what it was but it was pretty one dimensional compared to what Lucas and Filoni created.

AshiusX, Werebazs and QuangoFett like this.
  12. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't think that. I never said I think that. In fact, I explicitly said I don't think that.

Don't know what else to tell you at this point.

It's true that the Padawan is even less capable of keeping his fear under control, but the fact that his lack of a handle on his fear caused him to freak out and illogically charge forward alone doesn't change the implications of a member of the Jedi Council looking frantically from side-to-side and breaking out in a soaked sweat in reaction to an enemy approaching, which is that even the best-of-the-best Jedi really don't have control of their fear as dialogue from Yoda in Ep. V would lead us to believe.

When was the last time you watched it? They're running around fighting and physically exerting themselves for awhile before they're all huddled together listening to Grievous approach. Ki-Adi-Mundi running around fighting and physically exerting himself: no sweat. Ki-Adi-Mundi standing still (in the shade) listening to Grievous approach: soaked. I think that proves about as empirically as you can get with a cartoon that it was not exhaustion or heat causing that reaction.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    All of the arcs you mentioned, with the possible exception of Umbara, helped make the micro series better.

missile likes this.
  14. Orman Tagge

Orman Tagge Jedi Master star 4

Apr 10, 2014
    So I put down the micro series for this, just for nostalgia, but it really is hard to compare the two. The micro series, when viewed from beginning to end, runs for a little over two hours. TCW spans 5 and a half seasons of 22 minute episodes.

So, in such a short time, the micro series had a lot less opportunity to mess up. Personally, I thought Durge was a mild slip in an otherwise flawless series: the duel with Ventress and Grievous' debut stand out as some of my favorite Star Wars moments.

That being said, TCW, at it's best, is a lot better than the micro series. It's just that TCW is inconsistent, because over so much time, it's had more opportunities to be inconsistent.

15. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    I like the micro series more, the force was just really impressive in it, the fights were great and I saw it as a kid so more nostalgia connection

Force Smuggler likes this.
  16. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Huh? Why? Makes no sense to me. The MS never got that narratively ambitious or visually experimental. It certainly never even got near to the dramatic power of the Order 66 arc.

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Narratively ambitious" and "visually experimental" are not needed for an entertaining story, and sometimes if a show tries too hard to be "narratively ambitious" or "visually experimental," entertainment value is lost.

The Order 66 arc sacrificed continuity with the movies in order to promote the clones. Order 66 in ROTS had more and better "dramatic power."

The Citadel: shows that Ahsoka can do whatever the hell she wants without consequences. I didn't get much else out of it.

Mortis: poster child for trying too hard to be narratively ambitious. My only entertainment came from reading reviews of other people who hated it.

Slave arc: yeah, I already knew how Anakin felt about being a slave. To be fair that one wasn't bad though.

Onderon: Love triangles in storytelling all need to die a thousand deaths. Unless they end with Anakin beating up Clovis.

...actually they all need to die a thousand deaths.

Yoda: the best part of that one was Yoda getting Anakin to help him sneak out.

missile, spicer and Heero_Yuy like this.
  18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    EternalHero I like TCW better but I don't think it was more visually experimental than the micro-series. In terms of battles basically everything TCW did visually was conventional with the films while the micro-series tended to show a larger scope and feats that tested suspension-of-disbelief more rigorously. But I agree with you that TCW is much more ambitious and dramatic

anakinfansince1983 I think it's unfair to call a story that came directly from GL who had been holding onto it for who knows how long "trying too hard" to be anything. If that isn't the type of episode for you, how hard they were trying isn't the real issue, that just isn't the type of episode for you.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've posted this in the prequel forums but here goes: I think that Lucas himself in the latter part of his career was "trying too hard." It almost seems as if he had decided he was too good to make fun movies anymore, that he had to make Fancy Art now. And I think some, albeit not all, aspects of TCW reflect this.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    While I have a love/hate relationship with Ep. I, I think if nothing else it is definitely a fun a movie, so I don't see it that way. He had the ambition to do more abstract/odd Star Wars material all the way back when the franchise got started in the 70's and it seems he finally realized this ambition in some TCW episodes, but the ambition was always there.

EternalHero likes this.
  21. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    So in the PT, Grievous is presented to us as this hulking Jedi assassin, just as dangerous to the Order as Dooku.

But...seriously...how was he actually winning against Jedi? Sure, his lightsabers skills were deadly and he was super strong, but THE JEDI HAVE THE FORCE ON THEIR SIDE. Obi Wan should've been able to telekinesis the heck out of him, bashing him against walls and throwing him over cliffs. Heck, not just Obi-Wan, but any of the decently powerful Jedi Masters Grievous fights.

Clone Wars (2003) at least showed Grievous dodge a few force pushes, but why not just grab him, lift him, and destroy him? It didn't really make sense to me, and there was even less of an attempt to explain it in ROTS.

Any thoughts or explanations?

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    watch both clone wars shows. he's dangerous.

Big_Benn_Klingon likes this.
  23. Orman Tagge

Apr 10, 2014
    I have. It's just that his battle scenes never really make sense to me, and he always runs away on screen.

24. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    he basically overwhelmed lesser jeds with his speed and many sabers.

25. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Jedi assassin? I thought he was supposed to be a high-ranking military officer with the Separatists.