main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Resource Fanfic Writer's Desk: Your Place for Writing Discussion, Questions, and Advice

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Luna_Nightshade, Nov 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Then I would suggest Olympians or some foreign word for noble or if you feel nerdy I suggest Leeloo

Jade_Pilot and TrakNar like this.
  2. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    Have anybody used durese to spice up the languages of her characters? If yes, what phrases/words were used?

3. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I am trying to come up with a look with a character who is ryn and I want a light modern musician them: right now I was thinking about using DJ- and synthpop-stile look but don't really know what part of their look to use. Any suggestions?
    Also, in my mind ryn fashion is cossack and sarmatism like, so I will probably also use elements from them

4. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Can I just use a French expression as a title for a story? (Encore une fois) It makes sense to me, but since its the only French in the whole thing my inner linguist is somewhat raging. Also, would anybody know what it means?

@Gamiel. Didn't use Durese because I've never writte an Duro character. In my RC/Mando ralted stories I use a fair amount of Mando. I try to keep to the common expressions though. Except to make a point, like somebody is not supposed to understand or does not understand or something like that.
    Anything self-explanatory should be perfectly fine. :D

5. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014
    "One more time," yes?

6. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    "Again one time" was my literal translation, so I threw it into Google and got "Once again." So, you have at least two others who could figure out "encore une fois" in some fashion. :D

7. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    The reason I ask is that durose is supposed to be the second language of all spacer so it should be the language from with you picked most non-basic words and I had hopped that somebody else hade made a list of useful words/phrases that I could use without doing all the works myself - I am lazy in that way

8. Draconarius

Draconarius Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 2005
    The wook has a list of some words, but as for phrases... maybe load up KOTOR and make something up using the Duros NPCs? :confused:

9. MsLanna

MsLanna Jedi Master star 6

Jul 8, 2005
    Thanks Findswoman and TrakNar. :D Now I just need to argue with my inner linguist.

Never heard about that, Gamiel. [face_blush]
    And it looks as if you had to do the useful words list yourself. Oya! ;)

10. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I know about that list, it is based on the name list from WotC's Galactic Campaign Guide but as I said, I am lazy so I had hoped that somebody had made their own list, sorting out those words you probably would not use, like: pollution warden or pest control warden
    But it seems I have to make my own. Oh well, that's life

11. Sokolniki

Sokolniki Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 7, 2014
    So I get about 40-50 new views whenever I post a new chapter to my story.

But only one of my readers ever posts any thoughts and opinions of them.

How do you convince some readers to comment on your content, I'd like to receive some second opinions on my writing, but I'm not quite ready to hold some unfortunate nerd to a computer monitor with a blaster to their head and a polygraph attached to their arm to make sure I'm getting an honest opinion >.<

12. Kahara

Kahara FFoF Hostess Extraordinaire star 4 VIP - Game Host

Mar 3, 2001
    Wish I knew! I think a lot of us do... that said, some readers are just shy like that.

13. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I personally really hate the view count feature of these new boards. I mean, are these 'viewers' people without accounts? Are they lurkers? Are they bots (this may be the answer for many of those views)? People clicking, deciding that it isn't the right thing then clicking back? It's hard to know (I could go on a rant about this, but this isn't the right place). And I'll be honest, sometimes us Mods will click on random stories, scan for any TOS violations (we will particularly do this to a new or unknown author), and not comment because we didn't really 'read' the story.

The answer is, you can't. I've seen people hold updates 'hostage' until they get more comments, but that usually just pisses people off (I DO NOT RECOMMEND DOING THIS EVER). I've done stuff like say "hey, readers should suggest names for this new OC." That sometimes brings them out. A rather... infamous way is to offer a PM only chapter for those over 18. THAT has been known to draw people out of the woodwork, but only do that if you want to do it.

14. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Try sparking discussion by posing a question. That might work.

15. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    Well... I do happen to be in need of a large number of names here shortly as Ren'Vhan will be contacting a lot of old Inquisitors and hands to try to recruit them into the organization, so I guess I'll give asking my readers for ideas a try.

16. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I have planet that is mostly inspired by Mississippi, the Appalachians, the Caribbean, Amazon River, Camargue, Venice and the Swedish archipelagos in between the 1700's to ca 1940's and works like the Silver John stories/Manly Wade Wellman, Wide Sargasso Sea/Jean Rhys, Lovecraft’s the Call of Cthulhu, the Dunwich Horror and the Shadow over Innsmouth; Hellboy: the Crooked man; The Fall of the House of Usher/Poe and movie like Pirates of the Caribbean, Devil's Bayou from the Rescuers, Django Unchained, The Princess and the Frog. I am also inspired by the planet Dusk from Warhammer 40k and Richard Corben's adaptations of Lovecraft and Poe
    It has a technological level around the 1700-1850’s but with some things of later eras. The cities with spaceports have standard level of technology.

The help I want is to decide what other sentient species there should be there, I have already decided to have humans and a lizardmen-like race that have descended from the kwa (it is an old kwa world) but I want at least one more, any suggestions?

17. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    There is a noticeable lack of armadillo, porcupine or platypus based sentience in science fiction.

TrakNar likes this.
  18. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I fully agree but I don't want to create a new species - outside of the kwa descendents - so want suggestions from existing species

19. Sokolniki

Jan 7, 2014
    Try reading about the Rybet then. They may strike your fancy given the jungle and swampy influences you described about the planet.

20. Findswoman

Findswoman Fanfic and Pancakes and Waffles Mod (in Pink) star 5 Staff Member Manager

Feb 27, 2014

Wow, this is going to be one... eclectic story. I am interested to see what the finished product will take. I also fully admit that I thought you were being tongue-in-cheek at first! :)

21. Gamiel

Gamiel Chosen One star 9

Dec 16, 2012
    I recommend that you don't hold your breath, I am good with coming up with and commenting on settings but not as good at writing down/finishing my stories sadly :(. I am planning to try my hands on quick short stories which hopefully will make me finish more
    Look them up [face_thinking] maybe, their biological hatred for the other gender makes for some interesting ideas how their societies could look like
    Not just jungle, there is also the Appalachians, Camargue and the Swedish archipelagos. Outside of the cities - which I model after 1700's to early 1900's Venice, New Orleans, Stockholm and the cities/town in the Caribbean (or rather how they are presented in popular media) - my main inspiration are the "hillbilly" and creole borderlands at the edge of/between civilization/s, [face_thinking] I think I should ad the Iroquois Confederacy, Five Civilized Tribes and the Sleepy Hollow movie as inspiration

22. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014
    Hi all—does anyone happen to remember where on Wookieepedia (or elsewhere) one can find that chart of Standard-year lifespans and age ranges for childhood, adulthood, etc. for various species? (As in, you look up Anzat or Gand or Rodian or Xi'dec and you can find out how old a child, adolescent, adult, etc. of that species is supposed to be?) I've tried about every combination of search terms I can think of, but nothing's come up so far. I know at least one of the aliens guides has a chart like that, and I've ordered used copies of both, but I'm guessing the most up-to-date info can be found on the Wook. Thanks much!

23. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    It was on someone's user sub-page. I forget who, though. I have Alien Anthology on hand, though, which has one of the age charts.

24. Findswoman

Feb 27, 2014

That's the most recent of the print aliens guides so far, right? I don't suppose you know whether the same (or similar) chart was also in the earlier aliens guides (Essential Guide and New Essential Guide, both of which I have on order, but I should probably order the Ultimate Alien Anthology too)? Or whether the numbers would have changed from one aliens guide to another?

I asked on the Wookieepedia Facebook page as well.

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, I see that the Ultimate Alien Anthology is one of the RPG guides. Then that probably is what I should have ordered—d'oh!

25. TrakNar

Apr 4, 2011
    Ultimate Alien Anthology is the most recent that I can recall off the top of my head. There are other guides, but in terms of having that age chart, that's the go-to guide.

I should probably order that one, too.