main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fastback

Fastback Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 12, 2014
    Sorry EHT I was just bringing up how Disney has commision Leland to continue the canon going foward and not trying to make a point. I thought it was interesting and I think it is good that Disney has kept those who worked with Lucas to help keep Star Wars what it is hopefully.
    :)

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's fine, it was really just a reminder and/or information for those who may have missed that updated policy before.

3. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The best canon policy would be "don't even ****ing mention it"...

4. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    That is what is going to happen. The next gen will be different from the EU, the jedi will be different from the EU, Chewie running around, galaxy different from the EU, etc. Probably get an "all will be revealed" mention that will never happen. Pieces of the old EU canon will probably worm their way into the new merchandising materiel. It'll be like the "DC New 52" reboot wherein it's a reboot of the continuity but random pieces of the old one are plucked from it and offhandedly referenced to, etc.

5. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    New interview of Simon Kinberg. Discusses possible EU influence on spin offs & he also finishes with the status of canon.

6. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I'm gong to blow a cannon up with this thread......

7. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    As expected, anyone who thought JJ & Co. would adhere to EU canon must of had a few too many Jawa Juices. However Looks good for pre-prequel canon of the Old Republic. *Cough* KotOR films? *Cough*

8. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Translation: expect adapation of some EU stuff (though it could be anything from easter eggs to key stuff) but also expect lots of retconning to the EU from all upcoming stories, so for the moment till I can say more only the movies are canon to simpliy things

(Misspeak about the fate of TCW as confirmed canon by not including it? or is Disney about to retcon some of it??? Let the crazy debating begin 8-} )

9. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    I'd take it on face value rather than trying to translate it. Will also help avoid a ***** debate. Just nice to get a definitive statement on the topic, finally ;)

TheBBP likes this.
  10. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    TCW will stay canon I believe as its prequel era which will likely be untouched, however a poodoo ton of post ROTJ EU will be retconned or scrapped altogether. The Six films will always be the foundation. That doesn't mean we wont see Kyle Katarn or someone like him turn up. All depends on what JJ/Kennedy feel is right for the story they are telling. Rightly so.

11. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    this is what i've been saying.

12. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    What an amazing interview where... regardless of your stance on EU and what you personally wanted to hear... his words are somehow easily translated to say precisely your position. He ought to forgo Hollywood and go solve global conflicts.

13. Fleab88

Fleab88 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 12, 2012
    I cannot like this post enough.

14. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    True, he was non committal & vague, until the final comment anyway.

15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Personally I interpreted his words as an allegorical commentary/deconstruction of the Iran/Israel tensions, and actually having quite little to do with Star Wars. But maybe that's just me.

16. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Not really. The line about "the canon is the canon and the canon is the 6 films" is kinda......definative.

17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    [​IMG]

18. Darth_Bertie

Darth_Bertie Force Ghost star 6

Mar 30, 2014
    Yet another hint about where all the canon thing is heading to. I think we might end up seeing some things about the EU on the new Star Wars projects, but the story arch of neither of them will be based on the EU. This being said, I think there are some characters which are quite likely to make an appearance: Thrawn, Mara Jade and Jaina Solo. The first two could make their way onto the ST without many changes. The latter could be a bit retconed to fit in age with the Skywalker child.

The one I´m not expecting to be in the ST is Ben Skywalker. I do believe a new Skywalker will be one of the leads. And, based on actors that have been rumored to be on the run for a lead role, I´d say Luke is going to have a son. But the Skywalker son is going to be pretty different from the Ben we know from the EU.

19. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He's a creative consultant on Ep7, the exec producer of Rebels & has been tasked with developing the spin offs. In writing the spin offs he more than anyone has to know what counts & what doesn't. His final definitive comment should end the debate rather than cause more to begin ;)

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    First off I knew who he is and his role.

Second, You and I have vastly different definitions of definitive if you're saying that statement which could be viewed to mean anything as what counts. Yes his final word is definitive but those words where anything but definitive and far from his "Final" word on the matter, after all he was simply jumped by the press here and was just being purposely vague due to this. [face_tee_hee]

However he's also said previously that Pablo has given him the names of EU locations and henchmen to use in Rebels... that time though it was more a private interview and he was preaped with what he could and couldn't say so we got more information (though it was clearly stuff they wanted to advetise and in no way confims the amount of EU adaptation).

We know in Rebels at least some EU will make it in, question is does this corrolate to if VII will use it.

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I believe it implies that Rebels will crib from EU, much like how TCW did, but I personally believe that's simply because they have way more hours of content to put in up. A movie can only do so much so therefore they have to abide by only the film canon to try to make it work.

22. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    They will only bring EU characters into the movie, if they fit the story, they're already owned by Lucasfilm, and Pablo can give the details of that character to the writers.

ScorpionJedi likes this.
  23. Darth Downunder

Aug 5, 2001
    He was talking about the spin offs, not Rebels.

Ryus I wasn't talking about his EU related comments. Agreed, he wasn't really definitive on that.

24. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I mean, it makes sense, if you have a full, 12 hour season of galaxy-spanning television to produce, that you would at least look to what has already been done in the EU for inspiration, taking bits and pieces, etc. On the other hand, I think it's quite plausible (I hesitate to say "easy") to think of a continuation of the existing film saga without considering any other peripheral material.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ST looks to the EU in some ways (for example, the recent canonization of "Moraband" is something I could certainly see showing up in the films) but I would expect such influences to come sparingly. It'll be its own story first and foremost.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  25. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012

Major EU characters carry with them major EU plots. You will not see any of the characters that you listed in these new films. No amount of retconning could make fans comfortable enough to believe that Tony Stark isn't really Iron Man and instead is just a hot dog vendor that Captain America buys his hot dogs from.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.