main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Spy Picture -- AT-AT Foot?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by DarthBreezy, Apr 15, 2014.

1. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    The agents of the Imperial Spoiler Surveillance Station have managed to snap a sneak picture of the assembled vehicle on the other side of that tent.

[​IMG]

2. Six

Six Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 9, 2014
    Glad to see they are going back to their 70s roots with this film.

3. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

[​IMG]

Yup, word is Travolta is in talks for a major role

Mange likes this.
  4. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Hopefully not a Battlefield Earth crossover!

Gallandro and T-R- like this.
  5. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    The AT-TE is my favorite vehicle in the Saga!

plaidphoenix and Dewback like this.
  6. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    I say bring on the AT-ATs. I'd love to see another battle with them in a different environment, and Tatooine would suit that purpose just fine. The only problem for me is that I'm pretty tied to the whole symmetry thing, so I'd prefer the big ground battle of this trilogy to be in the middle film. But I'm prepared for the possibility that these films will be a lot less strict about the symmetry stuff than they would have been if Lucas were at the helm, so at the end of the day I'll take what I can get. And I want to see another AT-AT battle.

That said, it did appear that the foot was built to appear partially buried, so I'm not counting on it. And if they give us a new walker for Episode VIII that will be ok too, and probably more in line with the flow of the saga as a whole. Yet strangely at this point, I'm kind of on board with the nostalgia concept, probably because if JJ can do a good enough job at mimicking the look and feel of the OT then it might be better than anything he would do if he tried to be too original. I guess I just trust Lucas's imagination to move the story into new territory more than his. I'd be happy to be proven wrong on that though, and there are some talented concept artists working on this film, including some SW alumni, so if JJ has the right eye for selecting designs then we could still get some great new stuff that maintains the SW feel of the first two trilogies.

So I suppose what I'd really like is two different parallel versions of the ST, one that's more in line with the PT, showing an evolution of design, and one that takes me right back to the days of the OT. That was supposed to be a joke, but if the ST can actually manage to pull off the perfect mix of OT nostalgia and a newness that one would expect 30+ years into the future, then that would probably be ideal. And I'm guessing that's what they'd be aiming for, but I guess time will tell.

7. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The whole "evolution of technology" thing never made sense to me for Star Wars. Why must technology evolve in 30 years when the galaxy has had advanced space tech for 25,000 years? At some point you reach the apex and advancement slows on the other side of the bell curve. This is on a scale unrelatable to Earth's evolution from Bronze Age to Space Age in the last 2,500 years.

8. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I hear what you're saying - kind of like peak beard?

http://www.theguardian.com/fashion/...ous-men-warned-we-may-have-reached-peak-beard

9. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    I've never seen it as evolution of technology as such, but more of an evolution of aesthetics, which is a natural occurrence in the time span we're dealing with in these films, especially through such radical changes in the dynamics of the galaxy which those aesthetics represent.

10. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    @ Darth Punk - not exactly

It's a natural occurence in the time span in these films if judged by our limited time scale. The GFFA operates on a scale we have no concept of, meaning that evolution of design would slow down compared to what we are used to.

Also, if the galaxy was at war, or if the imperial remnant was holding out in a few sectors, they would have little time, need, or resources to evolve the aesthetics of an AT-AT.

11. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    T-R- I'm messing, that was just a daft article I read a few days ago. But I do see your point. I could see that as an example, after hyper drives were invented there would have been a huge spike in innovation with all sorts of new tech being made to capitalise on it, then after a while, that spike would naturally taper off

T-R- likes this.
  12. Mystery Roach

Mar 10, 2004
    But we don't really see technology evolve, unless you count things like Luke's hand having synthetic skin, or possibly Vader's cybernetics being more advanced than Grievous's (which seems to be thematically implied, and I believe Lucas said as much, but the reality of that claim is dubious at best). There is an evolution of soldiers from battle droids to super battle droids and clones, but the technological aspect of that isn't really advancing as much as being updated to suit the needs of the times. All in all though, the actual technology used throughout the saga is pretty consistent, and if anything some of it regresses under the Empire.

I don't want to get too far off topic though, so I'll just mention that no other walker seen in the saga has such exact similarities to the AT-AT that the foot in question has, so I'm certain it isn't the foot of a different model. It is quite possible that actual AT-ATs are no longer in use though. On the other hand. If the Empire is still in control of the galaxy, it's very possible that they're still using the same designs all around, even this much later. I don't see it necessarily changing at that point since they already had 20 years or so to get it standardized by the time of the OT.

Darth PJ, T-R- and Dewback like this.
  13. Dameron

Dameron Jedi Master star 4

Apr 8, 2014
    I think of Star Wars as a place ruled by design changes rather than out-and-out advancements. One war the expensive, fully-loaded starfighters are the right answer, but in the next one the next one swarms have adapted to succeed. One decade it's the shiny ships that sell, but in the next the customer appreciates some greebles. Don't think the EU really holds to this view, though.

Mystery Roach likes this.
  14. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    Well a least this spy pic looks real. From reading what Horn said today.

JainaSoloYJK and T-R- like this.
  15. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    He also said it was only some brief second unit directing.

16. GunganSlayer

GunganSlayer Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2013
    Given the couple Bothan spy pics of the set, and given Alan Horn's confirmation that second unit film is indeed happening (or happened) in the Abu Dhabi area, I think it may be a safe bet that what we will see is nothing more than the old, wasted ruins of an AT-AT, one, of many, powerful military symbols The Empire once had; a relic and reminder of an old age when the galaxy was torn to shreds. Much like the remains of a krayt dragon in ANH, I think we'll see the remains of an AT-AT: a reminder of the past, and a reminder of the harsh and unforgiving environment that is the Dune Sea of Tatooine.

Side note: who is the second unit director for Episode VII?

17. gambit420

gambit420 Jedi Master star 2

Oct 14, 2003
    Supershadow AKA Mickey Suttle

18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I agree... it's about progressing the aesthetics in a set of films that depict the passing of time in a, broadly, chronological manner... We got new designs for Stormtroopers, Tie-fighters etc. and of course military conflict is usually the driving force behind new technologies... I don't see this changing in the ST. I suspect, as you do, the remaining foot/leg of the Imperial Walker will be background detail (something that's always been important in the Star Wars films), and will be used to represent the passing of time as well as a wider conflict we never got to see in the films themselves. 'The liberation of Tatooine' sounds quite interesting.

19. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Also, it would be worth noting that Star Wars is more space fantasy than science fiction, therefore they're not really bound to any sort of logic as far as technology evolution is concerned. In almost every fantasy setting (elves and dwarves or lasers and spaceships) people use pretty much the same stuff for centuries.

20. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    That's true, but the PT set the precedent for showing a different aesthetic, a different age, only circa 20 years prior to the OT. I think the ST will carry this on perhaps with the applicable technology/design. I think they'll be a move away, albeit subtle, from some of the technology seen in the OT which looks comparatively dated to our own now, but didn't in the 80's (which is different from 'lived in'/'used')

21. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    I agree about different aesthetics 100% and that they should reflect the state of the galaxy at large, that's all nice and fine. I was refering more to the capabilities of the tech, so to speak, and it will be pretty much on the same level. :)

rdhight and Mystery Roach like this.
  22. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    BREAKING:

AT-AT SOCK FOUND IN DUBAI

[​IMG]

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I can't believe AT-AT foot wasn't there for the cast read through :(

24. Darth Punk