main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Agents of SHIELD Discussion Thread (and Slingshot)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 21, 2013.

1. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Given I posted an article a few days ago, that intimated that if Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D was renewed that it would be broken up into two halves and if picked up, the Agent Carter series would serve as a bridge between the two halves, probably not.

But the thought of it being a one - season series has crossed my mind.

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

You potentially miss my point.

LITERALLY EVERY OTHER NETWORK -- CBS, CW, FOX, NBC -- have renewed at least some shows. CBS and FOX have, I believe, renewed most of their 2014/5 show slate, with possibly a couple more to come and CW/NBC have renewed a few with some high-profile (The Blacklist) and some not.

ABC literally has not announced anything for renewal at all. Even the shows that we know for a fact, based on other leaked information (e.g. Revenge) will be renewed.

So there should reasonably be some speculation as to why there's been no announcement at any time, no?

3. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Not really since the entire network hasn't been announced.

4. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Most networks won't officially announce their schedules until May.

5. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Since I live across the street from the theater where FOX does their up-fronts, I am aware. :p But renewals typically come before scheduling...

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    I wouldn't have a problem with it being one season. Had it been announced that way from the start.

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it might have more to do with how Marvel operates- since the timing with Winter Soldier (and, to a far lesser degree, Thor 2) was so important in this season, they probably need to know if Agent Carter is going to happen if they are to structure AOS S2 around it and the timing for Avengers lead-in/follow-up, as well as how AC might interlink with the storyline, etc.

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    How did Lorelei's power work exactly? Was it a mind control thing or was it a "makes you more of what you already are" thing? Because if Ward was indeed evil and we did not know, does that mean he would have just done that anyway and he was not raped?

9. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    As far as I understand she essentially makes herself the focus of any man's loyalty and devotion. So instead of Ward going through every issue or situation with 'what would Garret/Hydra/My Mission/My Cover/etc... want me to do here' it's all just replaced with 'What would Lorelei want me to do?'

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I agree with what you said, but I would still take it further, especially in relation to Ward.

So far, Garrett seems a lot of fun to be with. Still, he's also the ultimate con man (he made everyone buy the Clairvoyant masquerade, after all), and slippery as an eel to boot. In front of him, you've got stolid, reliant Coulson, who isn't above breaking rules if he warrants that honesty or friendship demands it. I think it's interesting to see how those two diametrically opposed mentors may be able to influence Ward in the end.

I'm not saying it will come into play in this season, but I could see a situation where Garrett abuses Ward's confidence in a big way (perhaps by recklessly endangering Skye's life, if his feelings for her are sincere), shattering the "cool mentor" image he's carefully cultivated, making Ward seek redemption in a newly rebuilt SHIELD. If, indeed, Ward isn't pulling a number on everyone with a triple agent scenario.

Lauré :)

11. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Yeah, but then the whole "the love of a good woman will save this evil man" comes into play, and that's just...meh.

12. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    I know. Yet, as always, it's not the use of clichés or tropes that breaks the deal, but rather how they're brought to bear on a story. If done well, it can even make a story better.

Lauré :)

pronker likes this.
  13. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    LOL!!!

By Odins beard this a cheesie and cliched show.

14. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Guess I just enjoy cheese a lot. :p

pronker and s65horsey like this.
  15. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    So yeah, not many chances of Ward being a triple agent left, right?

16. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    *Odin's

17. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Learned quite a bit from this episode:

Obviously, we finally meet the famous cellist that Coulson had been dating and learned how they met. I do love/hate that he never tells her he's alive. Very nicely acted by Clark Gregg.

So Tripp's grandfather was Gabriel Jones then? Helps to develop him a bit more.

Sad to see May go right as Coulson realizes he needs to forgive her. But looks like that will be short lived. Love that her mother is a former agent too. So May's off to see Maria. That should be a fun conversation. Is May going to get answers for Coulson or because she disagrees with what he's doing? (Could be that based on previews) Or something else?

Ward as the bad guy continues to be fun to watch. I was glad that Skye was able to suck it up and play Ward like he was playing her. Though he did kill Koenig, it does seem like he has genuine regrets, especially when it comes to Skye. I'm not sure I really want Ward redeemed though.

Lastly, I wish this show would stop killing people! First Victoria Hand. Now Koenig. So far the only agents we've met who aren't dead are the (presumed) comatose Blake and Garret. And the rest could be dead thanks to HYDRA. I would not be at all opposed to Hand pulling an LMD move though. That would fit her better than Coulson really. She's just paranoid enough and robotic enough that an LMD for her would be believable. Pity that's not going to happen.

Only 2 more to go. Should be interesting.

18. GenAntilles

GenAntilles Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 24, 2007
    If Fitz, Simmons, or Tripplet had said 'oh no, that was Coulson, he was right here but he wants you to still think he's dead to save you further heartache.' they would've become my favorite character in fiction ever. I'm waiting for someone to finally have the courage to do something like that in tv and stop dragging out these secrets.

Giving the trailer for next week with Maria leading Talbot and the US military to Coulson and the team I'm assuming May and Maria's chat did not go well. That said I'm still bothered by the fact people seem to think SHIELD was the only agency compromised by Hydra. I mean the US military has to be heavily infiltrated as well, SHIELD was patient zero but Hydra infected everything. I mean the whole government crusade to wipe out SHIELD seems like something Hydra would order to clean up their mess. So I'm not sure why Hill would trust the military or someone would hear CIA and think they were safe.

Ward plays a good bad guy. Really makes all his previous appearances show in a new light. He's not crazy evil, he doesn't want to make too much of a mess. If he can remove threats without killing them and thus risk his cover he'll do it. So he's professional evil.

Quite the dead agent streak. Maria is the only SHIELD agent left who isn't a main character and not dead. But with being in Avengers 2 she's got quite the character shield.

Also the lie detector machines did seem a bit similar to the brain washing chair Winter Soldier was in... wonder if that was intentional.

Cap, Widow, and Hulk character references this episode too.

19. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Also, big LOL at the reveal of Skye's given name being Mary Sue. [face_clown]

20. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    A little take that at certain fans perhaps?

21. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Or this.

Also, where was May picked up (and I loved who picked her up!)? And where is Department H?

Though I was totally giving May too much credit -- I thought she figured out the lanyard thing early and was a stowaway on the Bus under orders (or on her own)...

pronker likes this.
  23. Moviefan2k4

Moviefan2k4 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 29, 2009
    May's mother actually said, "You're not going to take out Maria, are you?" That's a reference to Maria Hill, who Cobie Smulders will be reprising for next week's episode.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    Yeah... sooo?

25. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The name was from the lie detector sequence, not the mother.