main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Legacy Vol 2. #14: Wanted: Ania Solo, part 4 (of 5)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by spicer, Jan 11, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spicer

spicer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 14, 2012
    [​IMG]

Corinna Bechko (W), Gabriel Hardman (W/A), Jordan Boyd (C), and Agustin Alessio (Cover)
    On sale Apr 23
    FC, 32 pages
    $2.99
    Ongoing
    A look into Ania Solo’s prison-camp past reveals a secret connection to the brutal bounty hunter who is desperate to bring her to justice—dead, not alive!
    But bounty hunters are only part of Ania’s problems!
    • The answer to “Who is Ania Solo?” is at hand!

2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Damn, April's gonna be a good month for covers. Though this one is gross, it's gross with style.

3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Can these stories just be released now?

I hate waiting.

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Dawww elephant-footed buggy.

5. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Um, what the heck is that?! Oh whatever, the more interesting thing is "prison-camp past"- so Ania's spent time in prison, huh? So, past connection, no surprise given the #11 preview, already seems like its personal with that bounty hunter. Nice cover, ugly creature, but nice art and detail (such as that moon in the background). Just another few issues to go, I'm really going to miss this series.

6. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Based on Ania's age, she either was in prison during the Allied campaign to remove Krayt or the earlier Sith-Imperial War. I am really hoping that the prison she is in ties back to one of those wars, as opposed to being some random prison that has no connection to the greater galaxy.

--Adm. Nick

7. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Back in Issue 7, she made a comment like "The war changed a lot of people..." with a far-off look in her eyes.

Although I wonder if we'll get a Jarael twist here. "No, Zayne... I was a slaver."

8. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Do we know what # the last issue will be?

9. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I believe #18 is the last.

Ghost likes this.
  10. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    My guess is that issue #15 wraps up this new arc and that #16-18 will have to be an abbreviated arc that ends Darth Wredd and brings closure to Ania's journey. Shame to see, given how good this series is getting. My guess is that limited issue space will mean these last issues will be light on the secondary or "B" plot (state of galaxy & Triumvirate deliberations), which will be a shame as those moments help make this very personal story have a connection to the greater galaxy.

--Adm. Nick

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
  12. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Why can't more comics have a bad-ass droid like that?! You'll never see Threepio do something like that, and I have a hard time remembering the last time Artoo did something like this either (off-hand not since Mindor, but my memory isn't that good).

At least they're all on the same planet now. Now Ania just have to deal with all her other problems (raining sharp glass, mobile shelter, etc.).

13. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    That's the other thing that's clever on those pages - it's raining glass! How often do we see strange weather like that on strange planets?

14. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Great preview. We were all hoping for the glass rain to come into play, and it looks like Bechko and Hardman are doing really cool things with it. Giant bugs that eat it? Badass AG strutting right through it? Awesome.

Hopefully the comm droid will make his triumphant return in this issue --- he'd be safe from the glass too!

15. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    So are those animals silicon-based or something? I'm intrigued.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    It reminds me of the classic Harry Harrison space opera parody Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers, with the aliens who get drunk by eating glass bottles rather than imbibing their contents.

17. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Glass rain? Now this is the kind of alien planet we so rarely see in SW. Very cool!

Force Smuggler and Jedi Ben like this.
  18. Jedi Ben

Jul 19, 1999
    Oh, I like the sound of that story, will have to remember to go look for it.

19. Nobody145

Feb 9, 2007
    Well, the comm droid does show up- not really doing much, but it is present. Also nice to see Ramid and Ania compare stories now that they have a moment- even if it is because they're hiding from raining glass, but still a relatively quiet moment.

No answers about Ania's past yet (if it turns out not to be that mysterious, fine) but as for Ania is wanted for the murder of an Imperial Knight, we get a few more clues.

It might just be me, but I just love seeing something as mundane as that they're still reorganizing data after the Second Imperial Civil War. I can't remember the last time I saw a Star Wars character actually go research something (the search for Zonoma Sekot maybe?). Yalta Val is still great, as now he's investigated and saw that the evidence doesn't match Ania being the killer, so there is of course something else going on.

Almost the end of the arc- hopefully we'll get all the answers in the finale. It's been a quiet arc, especially how much action was in the second arc, but with a good cast of characters like this, I don't mind.

20. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    The planet they are on is taking inhospitable very literal. ;)

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    You know what? I really liked this issue. Several different storylines are all converging in the way that you hope they would in an arc's penultimate issue, and Bechko & Hardman are clearly paying enough attention to each character in order to give them all important roles to play. Ania and Ramid have a nice conversation under the speeder bike that reveals a little bit about their past and brings them closer together; AG walks through the glass rain like a badass but then, after finding Ania, cedes the rest of the issue to Jao & Sauk; Yalta uncovers some info on Coruscant that's clearly going to determine how this arc ends and transitions into the next one --- Bechko and Hardman really know how to make this series an ensemble piece that still keeps Ania as its primary focus. It's just really great writing.

And let's talk about the art. Hardman gives us some absolutely gorgeous visuals of the raining glass. Not only AG walking through it, but the page of Ania and Ramid taking refuge under the speeder --- those first two panels of the mountains and the stone ruins --- wow. Hey, that was one of the preview pages, so let's take a closer look.

[​IMG]

Is this series really ending in four months? The writing is top-notch, the art is as sharp as the falling glass, the characters are well-developed and likeable... blegh.

A bit of an anticlimactic return for the Comm droid, but I can accept the fact that there's too much going on already for him to be the hero this time. [face_peace] There was something a little unfortunate in this issue, though --- the first canonical appearance (as far as I know, somebody correct me if I'm wrong) of the name "Second Imperial Civil War." It's been the name used on Wookieepedia for the last five years, but as Xicer pointed out on the article's talk page, the Legacy Era Campaign Guide simply called it the "Imperial Civil War," and the article name "Second Imperial Civil War" wasn't an appropriate one. I've been meaning to change it for months, but I held off because a lot of other page moves and article-correcting would have come with it --- but alas, the page move is now unnecessary, because Wookieepedia has, for better or for worse, influenced canon once again. Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the "Second Imperial Civil War."

22. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    So, the bounty hunter is Ania's twin sister, right? It first occurred to me with Ania's "there's something about her" line, and then the mechanical hand combined with everyone thinking Ania's the murderer kind of clinches it--right?

23. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Who is Ania Solo?

24. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    You are the worst kind of person.

25. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Maybe they'll get Paul Gulacy to do the art for the next issue. Ania will take the mask off of the bounty hunter but we won't even be able to tell that they're supposed to be twins.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.