main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Fanclub Obi-Wan Kenobi: v4 Fan Club a/k/a Appreciation Society

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by Valairy Scot, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    Baz Note: Fair point. I apologize for sounding strongly but the message is sometimes ignored. I did not think you were intentionally spamming, so its all good. obimom

2. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I might be the only one [face_laugh] but I'm not sure that "Kenobi" would make a good SW film. It might make a good western, but there's not enough SW in it, IMHO, to appeal to fans.
    (My humble opinion also is that if I have a chance to see Ewan as Obi-Wan once more, please do not put the film between ROTS and ANH, timeline-wise - I don't like my hero to (permanently) suffer, and Anakin's betrayal was a very hard blow indeed.)
    I think I could be interested in a Yoda spin-off ("Yoda - Origins" LOL), and possibly in a film set between AOTC and ROTS and after Anakin's knighting because the dynamics between Obi-Wan and Anakin as seen in the first half of ROTS were lovely to watch. From an over-all SW perspective, though, Obi-Wan's life seems to have been told in all detail already, so I won't let myself get excited just yet.

serendipityaey likes this.
  3. ruth baulding

ruth baulding Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    Yes, in the prequels you have the first (almost) scene with a padawan Obi-Wan saying, "I have a bad feeling about this, Master" all the way through the sunset on Tattooine in Ep III, and then his death in Ep IV through a "reunion" with Anakin at the end of the epic. There isn;t much more to add narratively unless you sort of changed the "19 years of exile" in to "secret operative for the Rebellion" -- that would be fun, but definitely AU.

4. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    I agree completely! I don't like my hero to suffer for so long either...I can't get excited about watching that, lol. As much as I do want to see Obi :)

5. Gkilkenny

Gkilkenny Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 27, 2004
    They had Obi-Wan as a ghost, in the first three and in the flesh in the last three, The writers have proved that there are ghosts in Star Wars, so why not bring Obi-Wan back in the future episode, to help the new Jedi fight the re-emerging sith.
    As he said when Vader supposedly killed him "Strike me down and I will become more powerful than you can imagine."
    Well I'm still waiting for Obi-Wan to show that power. He didn't do much other than give Luke advice.
    Any movie they make wont be the same without Obi-Wan, when your on a good thing stick to it.^:)^

obimom likes this.
  6. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    I think he meant "powerful" in a non-corporeal way. :_| After all, eternal "life" and awareness was what the Sith hoped to achieve, was it not?
    Gosh, I don't think I could bear a film with Ewan just hovering around, "untouchable", hehehe (some action would be nice) ... unless ... unless ... they turn him into something like the Cheshire Cat. =P~

7. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    How many movie's have you seen where someone comes back from the dead. I've seen plenty of them. The Force is supposed to be powerful.[face_peace]

8. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    [face_rofl] Plenty. Usually I didn't like what came back, though. Are you suggesting that our dearest man might be restored to full power? [​IMG]

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I think what they did was pretty sound. It conveys the believed contrast between physical and spiritual life. Obi should maintain the Mentor's role if he appears at all not suddenly usurp things. History has moved on 30 years after all and his mindset has very likely shifted since becoming 'one with the Force'.

Likewise, are you implying Alec's Obi was weak? If so, I think you're mistaken. Different than Ewan's of course but hardly weak.

10. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Not weak...I wouldn't say that at all, but this was very new when the moIw it for the first time, I was very impressed..because I had never seen anything like it before. I do remember the power of Obi-Wan's words when he warned Darth Vader that "Strike me down and I will be more powerful" or however he said it. I never quite understood it , but it was cool.

11. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    I think the difference in age between Alec's Obi and Ewan's explains the difference.

12. serendipityaey

serendipityaey Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2004
    And vastly different circumstances and context!

Bazinga'd likes this.
  13. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
  14. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Now I am really annoyed..the new laptop is driving me up a wall. The jumbled part in my post was a mention of the difference in ages, as well as the fact that when the movie first came out, lightsaber fighting was very new, and with the two men fighting, both being older, it just wasn't a "honed art" yet, but we were impressed because we had never seen anything like it at the time.

And yes you're both right, the circumstances of the younger and older Obi-Wan's are vastly different...and I would even venture to say that the years on that desert planet probalby took it's toll on Obi-Wan's vitality as far as being fighting ready...although with Ewan's Obi-Wan being on Tatooine, we can imagine a much more active exile than what the originals hinted at..I think.

15. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I don't think an 'active lifestyle' would be overly wise for a man in hiding.

16. obimom

Oct 31, 2010
    Well yes, you're probably right but Obi's talent for "discreet" activity should work, right? ;)

17. Nanuk

Nanuk Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 6, 2014
    As long as he's doing his exercises where nobody can see him, he should be fine. Can't imagine a "restless spirit" like him not to do anything at all - he'd go crazy. :)

18. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    So with the announcement of all the novels as being non-canon now, does this mean Siri Tachi is not canon? Unless of course that era is covered again in adult novels which I hope Disney/Del-Ray does since anything they produce will fit into their new continuity.

19. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    I didn't say he'd do nothing, I simply meant I don't think he'd be brashly active in hiding.

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

That is apparently correct.

21. Gkilkenny

Mar 27, 2004
    Cushing's Admirer

Where does that come from.??? There is no implying that Obi-Wan is weak, The movie script implied that he would become more powerful. I am saying that it didn't really happen that he became all Force powerful, in an exceptional kind of way. However, if he returned in the new movie then what was implied would come true!

This is what the script indicated. (You can't win, Darth. If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine.) they used powerful words but didn't follow through with them.!

22. Cushing's Admirer

Jun 8, 2006
    It came from the post I was replying to's implication. I notice there is a heavy Ewan-Obi bias here. I think a lot of people on the boards have a very narrow view of what 'power' means, which saddens me but it's all perception.

If you feel they didn't follow through with Alec's statement, I'm sorry.

23. hlc88

hlc88 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

I think Obi-Wan being a Force-ghost - one of the first Jedi to achieve this in thousands of years - does make him more powerful. Vader thought he wouldn't be able to help Luke anymore, yet Obi-Wan, even in death, was still powerful. He did become more powerful... Vader didn't even consider that Obi-Wan could still be - though dead - but alive in a strange way without his body.

24. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Here comes the inconsistency in the Force Ghost issue. We know Yoda and Obi Wan know how to become one with the force, but how does Vader / Annakin learn it such that he is a Force Ghost at the end of ROTJ.

In any event, I think the fact that Obi Wan let go and let himself be struck down, demonstrates a self-awareness that most certainly makes him more "powerful" than Vader.

25. roguegirl

roguegirl Jedi Master star 4

Aug 29, 2001
    Off topic.I just found out that HBO Asia will be showing Jack the Giant Slayer. I'll get to see Ewan there.how was he there?