main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Official Sequel Trilogy / Legends / Expanded Universe discussion thread

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by YoureNotJonesy, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Kind of like Couruscant and Aayla Secura?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ryus and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Right, but I thought the character had an EU backstory prior to the production of E3. If I'm wrong then I stand corrected.

3. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    :) He was given a cameo as a 'job well done' kinda nod.

He's such a doll - and he owns one of the two prints I made of my avatar.

4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    He was referenced in Labyrinth of Evil - however that was a very short reference - and probably after it was already established that this would be the instructor's name in the upcoming RotS movie.

5. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
  6. markdeez33

markdeez33 Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 25, 2013
    RIP to the EU :/

7. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Please pardon me if this is off-topic and/or not allowed, but I have a question that maybe someone could answer. When Heir to the Empire was released, was there any statements made by LFL of how it would tie-in to the canonical policy? Because on the back of the book, it says it's the "authorized continuation" of the saga, so I'm not sure if that specific phrase would have any effects on how we portray the EU.

8. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

*chokes*

Unless something is directly contradicted by the movies or TV shows (Rebels/Clone Wars) for our purposes here, it is considered 'canon' as per Lucasfilm. Now whether those events get regulated to 'Infinities/Alternate Universe/whatever' by E-7 remains to be seen.

Now let me go wash my virtual mouth out with soap... [face_sick]

9. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Fact is that it was never really terribly well thought out, but I don't think they ever imagined that people would debate whether or not something "really happened" when it's all just one big fictional universe. I don't think they thought for a second people would take it as ridiculously seriously as they do, coupled with the notion that back then there was no widespread use of the internet so things like that got little more than a passing article in a magazine or two.

Eternal_Jedi and DarthBreezy like this.
  10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

It's not that hard, I simply do not believe that absolutely 100% of everything in the entire ST will be 100% new and originally created for the ST and absolutely nothing over the course of 3 movies will steal names, places, characters, design and inspiration from the EU. There's a giant wealth of materiel, somebody down the line is eventually going to look at it. Character designs and various names and organizations and planets were taken from the EU throughout the PT and Clone Wars. I don't see why that would change considering how it happened quite a bit for the last decade and a half.

Iron_lord likes this.
  11. chris hayes

chris hayes Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 13, 2012
    I expect some EU cameo's in the ST perhaps many......

12. thecurseofchris

thecurseofchris Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 12, 2013
    Thanks for your response. I agree with you. I'm sure no one even thought that Star Wars would even continue beyond the prequel trilogy's conclusion when they were announced.

I'd be curious to know if there were any sort of written agreements or contracts when Heir to the Empire was created.

13. Beezer

Jul 5, 2013
    Well, I know that contractually any intellectual property anyone creates belongs to LFL. So if they reprint Heir to the Empire and it sells 100,000 copies, Timothy Zahn gets royalties. But if the use Grand Admiral Thrawn, Mara Jade or Coruscant in comics, other books or movies, he doesn't.

14. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
    Ryus likes this.
  15. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998

[​IMG]

The Story Group has a message for you:

"Wipe it out.... all of it."

16. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    It’s for the best in the long run.

17. sluggo1313.

sluggo1313. Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 23, 2013

Again, why not? When ABrams is writing why would he take the time to go look up a name or planet instead of just making one up?

18. newdawn12

newdawn12 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2013
  19. Momotaros

Momotaros Jedi Master star 4

Aug 13, 2013
    From the article in the above post.

"In order to give maximum creative freedom to the filmmakers and also preserve an element of surprise and discovery for the audience, Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe."

20. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    So the EU is officially dead moving forward. Think this was the sensible way to move forward.

21. DarthWilliams

DarthWilliams Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 29, 2008
    Pretty sensible, if you ask me. And I'm glad they're acknowledging it instead of just going about their business with Episode VII and having fans find out when they read a plot summary or see the film that it's not following those stories. Best to give maximum creative freedom for the films while preserving the books as still something special.

Mystery Roach, Krueger and Satipo like this.
  22. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Maybe not all of it. "Star Wars Episodes VII-IX will not tell the same story told in the post-Return of the Jedi Expanded Universe."

23. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    As long as the KOTOR era isn't wiped. Never really cared for the post ROTJ EU so much to be angry about it getting canned.

EternalHero likes this.
  24. Satipo

Satipo Force Ghost star 7

Mar 29, 2014
    Cheers, Pro, missed that.

25. hachijedi

hachijedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 22, 2012
    Not a good sign that they had to put out a press release about the EU. They are pretty much preparing fans that "Episode VII-IX" will possibly stray far away from the books and it's characters. I think they should at the very least keep the names the same for the Children. I think they are doing this cause they didn't want fan meltdowns every time a new story element was announced. I mean the Chewie news seem to be the 1st strike to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.